Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:24:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695310 times)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2040 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »

i am beginning to think Stabil etc are a non starter.  I think they might help for a short period of time but for a stored bike would not help at all and given Stabil's primary ingredient is an alcohol, it might make things worse.

One thing is certain. Stabil works to keep fuel systems from degrading and to maintain the volatility of the fuel for about a year. This is proven from decades of use, by me and others, especially collector car guys.

Now, whether a main component in Stabil is alcohol or not, the concentration to treat 3 1/2 U.S. Gal. of ethanol-free premium is 1.5 fluid oz.

Just based on my own experience, I do not like to think about my hoses and filter and pump in the tank drying out over the winter. Just my $0.02 of course.

Regards

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #2041 on: December 07, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »

I was contacted today by Brian, Ducati service manager @ Razee's, where I purchased the bike new, & was told DNA authorized the tank replacement. I was told it would take 7-10 days to arrive. No charge & I could wait there for for the installation as it would take 1 1/2 hours to replace. From reporting it, to an answer, 2 weeks. I will post @ the completion of the replacement.

*Tank replaced @ no charge on 12/22/11. Took 1.5 hours & it matches perfectly. I was told to keep Star Tron in the fuel to minimize reaction from the ethanol.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:24:06 AM by Capt baz » Logged

"It will not go in deepr than it is long"

2016 M 1200 R, Vivid Black, Termignoni, Rapid Bike EVO, EVOTECH Engine/Cooler guards & Tail Tidy, Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors, Motodemic Adaptive LED Headlight, carbon fiber everywhere........ Kiss French/Ride Italian
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2042 on: December 07, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »

i am beginning to think Stabil etc are a non starter.  I think they might help for a short period of time but for a stored bike would not help at all and given Stabil's primary ingredient is an alcohol, it might make things worse.

Just in case anyone missed this:

Stabil or equal will help keep the volatiles in the fuel, helping the spring start up.  Much to my surprise, at least according to the MSDS, the brand Stabil is mostly petroleum distillates, the data sheet is amazingly vague.  As far as tank preservation I doubt it will help at all.
Pip
BRRAAAAIIINNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ROLL TIDE

« Reply #2043 on: December 07, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »

Stabil or equal will help keep the volatiles in the fuel, helping the spring start up.  Much to my surprise, at least according to the MSDS, the brand Stabil is mostly petroleum distillates, the data sheet is amazingly vague.  As far as tank preservation I doubt it will help at all.

Isn't there a Sta-Bil specific to ethanol related fuel? I thought it was supposed to take care of the rubber eating tendency, and it might help to prevent swollen tanks. It's green if I remember correctly.

"You can fight a lot of enemies and survive, but not your biology."

Wouldn't fat air be easier to disappear into?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2044 on: December 07, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »

Isn't there a Sta-Bil specific to ethanol related fuel? I thought it was supposed to take care of the rubber eating tendency, and it might help to prevent swollen tanks. It's green if I remember correctly.

Dunno, maybe, that is what they claim.  All I can say for sure is the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) states 95% petroleum distillates for all their fuel stabilizers.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2045 on: December 07, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »

The ethanol treatment isn't for storage but can be mixed with regular Stabil if required. Not sure how much good it will do you based on ducatiz's statements. Regular Stabil does inhibit corrosion and varnish and loss of volatility in fuel though.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Frisco

« Reply #2046 on: December 10, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »

Just came back from getting my replacement tank installed - no Caswell but I will try running the K100 ans see how it does - at least that way if something happens in the next 18 months or so I'm not screwed. Kudos to Jeff, Sophia and Jordan for getting it all straightened out with DNA.
All is happy in the metroplex (except it could be warmer).

2007 S4RS
CrashVR

« Reply #2047 on: December 10, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »

Hello, I'm new here.  I'm looking at a '06 S2R.  The tank is just starting to show signs of swelling.  The rubber bumpers are not fitting on the frame properly. 

Two things, first I've heard different things from different people that have received information on the class action suit.  I've heard that they will only warranty tanks from 5 years from date of purchase, I've also heard 6 years, and finally that they have to replace any deformed tank no matter how old.  Can anybody clear this up for me?

Second, I was told that the cause is the charcoal canister that the tank vents into.  Basically that ethanol evaporates faster than gasoline, and proceeds to fill and "plug up" the canister essentially making it so that the tank can't vent forcing the tank to swell.  The Ducati owner that told me this said the nobody that has removed their charcoal canister have suffered from any tank swelling.  Is there any truth to this?  Thanks for any help!!

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2048 on: December 10, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »

Just came back from getting my replacement tank installed - no Caswell but I will try running the K100 ans see how it does - at least that way if something happens in the next 18 months or so I'm not screwed. Kudos to Jeff, Sophia and Jordan for getting it all straightened out with DNA.
All is happy in the metroplex (except it could be warmer).

before you use that k100 you better look to see what's in it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2049 on: December 10, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »

Hello, I'm new here.  I'm looking at a '06 S2R.  The tank is just starting to show signs of swelling.  The rubber bumpers are not fitting on the frame properly. 

Two things, first I've heard different things from different people that have received information on the class action suit.  I've heard that they will only warranty tanks from 5 years from date of purchase, I've also heard 6 years, and finally that they have to replace any deformed tank no matter how old.  Can anybody clear this up for me?

Second, I was told that the cause is the charcoal canister that the tank vents into.  Basically that ethanol evaporates faster than gasoline, and proceeds to fill and "plug up" the canister essentially making it so that the tank can't vent forcing the tank to swell.  The Ducati owner that told me this said the nobody that has removed their charcoal canister have suffered from any tank swelling.  Is there any truth to this?  Thanks for any help!!

1.  the settlement is not a done deal yet.  if it is ratified, the new warranty will be 5 years from date of purchase by the ORIGINAL OWNER or 18 months form the date of the finalized settlement, whichever is later.

2.  the charcoal canister claim is utter bullshit.  did the person who told you that bit about ethanol have a chemistry degree?

I took my canister off a few weeks after I got my 05 S2R.  I have had TWO tank replacements.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
CrashVR

« Reply #2050 on: December 11, 2011, 03:37:29 AM »

Thanks, I had a feeling that was the case...
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #2051 on: December 11, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »

the charcoal canister bit is laughable, at least.

CrashVR

« Reply #2052 on: December 11, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

I agree... I wish it was that simple though  Sad  I love the bike, but I am concerned about tanks... What happens when they are no longer replacing them?!  $2000 for a tank?  That's crazy talk...  I'm thinking I would just get one of the CA cycle works tanks.  At least it matches the front fender.  I would probably then remove the bikini fairing and rear seat cowel and just make my own version of the Dark  waytogo
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #2053 on: December 11, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »

I agree... I wish it was that simple though  Sad  I love the bike, but I am concerned about tanks... What happens when they are no longer replacing them?!  $2000 for a tank?  That's crazy talk...  I'm thinking I would just get one of the CA cycle works tanks.  At least it matches the front fender.  I would probably then remove the bikini fairing and rear seat cowel and just make my own version of the Dark  waytogo
That's the reasonable answer-like the one Ducati should have responded with. I too will purchase a CA Cycle Works tank if I'm ever faced with the choice of having to purchase a new tank. Unlike Ducati tanks, CA Cycle Works claims that theirs will not swell like pregnant dogs.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #2054 on: December 12, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »

For those of you interested in objecting to the settlement, please PM me YOUR FULL NAME AND  EMAIL ADDRESS.

I am preparing an objection to file if you want to sign an affidavit which "attaches" your objection to mine, let me know ASAP.

Deadline is Dec 27 to receive the objections by the court and the law firms.  That means it needs to be in the mail before then.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:29:29 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: