Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 19, 2024, 03:23:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Duke 990.....want.  (Read 4497 times)
scduc

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »

I took 1 for a test ride today, and I have to say that it is a pretty nice bike. The exhaust is too quite and there were times when going through a corner that I felt like I was going to fall off, but the engine was super smooth and so was the gear box. With the monster I get a sore left wrist and you hear the notorious clunk when shifting. I wont be giving up the S2R any time soon , but if I had an extra 15k laying around the Duke may find its way into my garage.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

If you had 15K laying about, you could buy a S4RS and find yourself right in moto Nirvana. The Ducati is a better motorcycle, but like the KTM requires a bit of fiddlin to make it "right" - cans, airbox and fueling at a minimum.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »

I can't agree.  My SMR is all stock.

Well, ok I did a -1 sprocket in the front.

It absolutely crushes.  It's more bike than I know what to do with.

I don't think you can compare an S4RS to any KTM (other than RC8) because that engine just stomps.

Grin

Get them both Evil  It's only money

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »

And that Russian (I assume) guy was an excellent rider also.   

greek. but he is really good.

LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »

Your SMR is a fine bike - very fine.  But at about 120 mph the S4RS will walk off on you and handles just as well in the very tightest terrain.   The Ducati just out powers the KTM at about that speed. I've done it too many time to be convinced otherwise.  Bring it on. Grin

But I will have to heal from my hip replacement before. Give me a week.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »

I don't spend much time above 120 MPH.  Wink

(although I did twist it up to that on the test romp)

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 06:31:44 AM »

I don't spend much time above 120 MPH.  Wink
(although I did twist it up to that on the test romp)

I know what  you mean. Actually, a hot rod 650 single is bad ass up to about 105 mph.  Many of my two wheeled brethren have acquired dual sport singles just because of the power and handling of the single - up to a point. KTM690 comes to mind.

I pretty much do run my bike wide open and well above 120 every time I take it out, which is pretty much every day.

Heck a Fully kitted S4RS geared at 14/43 or 14/44 will hit 130 mph so fast, not too much real estate is needed.

No, I gotta admit, I don't think any informed motorcyclist would be disappointed in ownership of any of the KTM line. And with the accouterments available in that KTM catalog you can tune at the same level achievable in the Ducati arena for sure.

LA
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:51:28 AM by LA » Logged

Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »

KTM690 comes to mind.

Bingo. That one is the one I really wanted to see when I ended up riding the 990, and I think it would fit the bill just fine for tearing it up around the lakes in my area.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
mcskeeto

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »

I have a 2008 Superduke as well as a 1098s and 848. I can say without any hesitation that the KTM is the best road bike I have ever owned or ridden (including the S4RS which I have ridden for over 1000 miles). I went through a lot of consternation because I really wanted the S4RS to be the bike I wanted but after riding both, the Superduke outhandled to S4 every time especially in the really tight switchback stuff. I put the full Akropovich system on it and it is almost as loud as the full termi system on the 1098. Obviously, different bikes appeal to different people. For me, the SD is the most intuitively handling bike for the road I have ever ridden.
Also, the 4.8 gallon tank lets me go 150-180 miles on it without a problem.

08 Ducati 848 track bike
07 Ducati 1098 Tricolore
07 KTM 990 Superduke
06 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »

If only I could move my ATV.....  Tongue Damn economy. (And the dealer seems to think he can get more than it's worth.)

The thing I liked a lot was how your knees seemingly could almost touch on the SD despite being separated by the tank.

Whee.  Grin

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »

Might as well go with the "R".

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
DRKWNG
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 06:01:53 PM »

Might as well go with the "R".

Uh oh!  Guess I should go change my shorts...
corndog67
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 07:39:31 PM »

According to the salesman at Santa Barbara KTM Kawasaki whatever, that R model has CNC ported heads, a lighter flywheel and either bigger injectors or 1 more injector per cylinder.  Of course, that might all be salesman b_llsh_t also.   Pretty cool bike, nonetheless. 
duc996

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »

I have the 690 SM,i must say that bike is one of the easiest and friendliest bike i have ever ridden,it's got power to a point,the real fun is in the twisties, very nimble and light.The only diff bet the Duke and SM would be the front fender,the SM has that spy vs spy beak while the duke has that streetfighter look from the front.The exhaust on the SM has a dual pipes ,while the duke has it underneath.

The only negative thing about the SM compared to my s4r would be it's not very comfy on long rides,since the seat is narrow and very hard.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »

I think there are more than a few differences between the SD and the SM's...

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: