Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 29, 2024, 12:14:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powder Coating  (Read 2279 times)
Monster Dave

« on: June 24, 2009, 07:03:48 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm interested in finding out how much of a job it would be to have a stock set of handle Monster bars powder coated (black). I really don't know anything about the process or if parts can be powder coated in other colors. I'm looking for a matte black finish for my bars.

Any suggestions before I call around for price quotes? Is there any special preparation that has to be done before taking them in? Any ideas on reasonable cost?

Thanks!
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »

They charge you somewhat based on oven area and media blasting time. Often you can get the same price for one small part or a pile of small parts.  For instance I had some clip on bars, belt covers and a sprocket cover done recently and was quoted $60, but the guy gave me a $10 cash discount.  I could have actually thrown in a few more items for the same price or had I done just the clip-ons, it still would have been $60. 

When you clamp stuff to powder coated items there is a possibility of cracking the powder coat.  I know this and had my bars done anyway.  You can have them mask the areas where the bars are clamped to the triple and where the controls are clamped the the bar.  I didn't.  I was more concerned about the masking being wrong than any problem with the coating cracking and coming off.

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
Monster Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:21:26 AM »

They charge you somewhat based on oven area and media blasting time. Often you can get the same price for one small part or a pile of small parts.  For instance I had some clip on bars, belt covers and a sprocket cover done recently and was quoted $60, but the guy gave me a $10 cash discount.  I could have actually thrown in a few more items for the same price or had I done just the clip-ons, it still would have been $60. 

When you clamp stuff to powder coated items there is a possibility of cracking the powder coat.  I know this and had my bars done anyway.  You can have them mask the areas where the bars are clamped to the triple and where the controls are clamped the the bar.  I didn't.  I was more concerned about the masking being wrong than any problem with the coating cracking and coming off.

Did yours actually crack? I was thinking what you mentioned (about the masking being off) as I read your post. I'd hate for it to show.
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:27:10 AM »

Did yours actually crack? I was thinking what you mentioned (about the masking being off) as I read your post. I'd hate for it to show.

I haven't installed the clip on bars yet so I don't know. I think the risk is really small for cracking. If the coating does give way, you risk having your bars slip in the triple clamps which could be hazardous. That said, I have been installing powder coated parts for years and never had a problem.  Every powdered part is held in place by bolts or nuts.  I won't say it hasn't happened to me, but rarely does tightening down a bolt or a nut remove the coating unless you go nuts.  YMMV. 

If the bars are Aluminum, you'd be much better off having them hard annodized black, IMHO.

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
dlearl476

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »

If the bars are Aluminum, you'd be much better off having them hard annodized black, IMHO.

Or ceramic coated.  One of the qualities of powder coating is that it is a thick coating.  That may or may not interfere with the fitting of the stuff on the bar, notably the throttle tube.
Anodizing or Ceramic coating, OTOH, is only 10/1000ths of an inch thick.

Also, if your bars are chrome plated steel, they may be significantly more expensive to powder coat because AFAIK the chrome would have to be removed in order for the coating to adhere.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »

what bike do you have?

If you were to PC it, id mark where everything goes on the bars with tape and bring it to the PCer. Id tape off the throttle housing, and the two 3/4" sections that the clamps go around.

I have  a magura handle bar from an S2R1000, i dont think theres much to do in terms of prep.  At the cost of having them anodized, id just sell the bars and get a set of rizomas. Im not a big fan of black anodizing hard or soft, it just doenst have a nice color to it. Unless its something bright like gold blue or red etc.

If you have the chrome ones, you'd have to get it sand blasted to remove all the chrome.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Monster Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »

what bike do you have?

If you were to PC it, id mark where everything goes on the bars with tape and bring it to the PCer. Id tape off the throttle housing, and the two 3/4" sections that the clamps go around.

I have  a magura handle bar from an S2R1000, i dont think theres much to do in terms of prep.  At the cost of having them anodized, id just sell the bars and get a set of rizomas. Im not a big fan of black anodizing hard or soft, it just doenst have a nice color to it. Unless its something bright like gold blue or red etc.

If you have the chrome ones, you'd have to get it sand blasted to remove all the chrome.

Yeah, they are the chrome ones....

I thought about getting clip ons a while back, but I just don't like the way that they look and I don't want to do bar risers with them because they it would look funky.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »

if mine werent tweaked id offer them to you, i  went down on my left side and the bar bent in about 1/4 of an inch. its the bling blang magura ones. ive been meaning to bring it to someone who can straighten it out for me and sell it. if you know someone in you're area who can do that, ill sell you mine for cheap, ill even PC it for you for free! but i only have a Harley wrinkle or high gloss black with me. Unless you want to order the color you want and send it to me.  Grin my bar is a 7/8th inch if i recall correctly.

Maybe you can use easy oven cleaner to remove the chrome? im not sure if there are any household ways to easily remove it.

however if the chrome on your bar is flawless, im pretty sure you can PC right over it. Certain colors (especially candys) require the base coat to be either real chrome, powder chrome, or polished for it to come out right. I just dont know if theres a special technique to it or not since i havent done it.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Monster Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »

if mine werent tweaked id offer them to you, i  went down on my left side and the bar bent in about 1/4 of an inch. its the bling blang magura ones. ive been meaning to bring it to someone who can straighten it out for me and sell it. if you know someone in you're area who can do that, ill sell you mine for cheap, ill even PC it for you for free! but i only have a Harley wrinkle or high gloss black with me. Unless you want to order the color you want and send it to me.  Grin my bar is a 7/8th inch if i recall correctly.

Maybe you can use easy oven cleaner to remove the chrome? im not sure if there are any household ways to easily remove it.

however if the chrome on your bar is flawless, im pretty sure you can PC right over it. Certain colors (especially candys) require the base coat to be either real chrome, powder chrome, or polished for it to come out right. I just dont know if theres a special technique to it or not since i havent done it.

I just picked up a stock bar from another member who lives local and it's perfect, but chrome. Ultimately, it will work, but I'd rather have black. So I'm looking at other options.

Thanks to this thread, I found a pair of black bars! Problem solved!!!  Grin I suppose it's always good to have a backup either way!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:12:57 PM by Monster Dave » Logged
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

I had the suburban machinery bars on my Bandit powdercoated without taping...no problems.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
mrplease

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »

wow! looks awsome. i was considering powdercoating my suburban bars black but stick with the stainless look because it matches the tips of my termis to a tee. but man those look good. is that a satin black?

you have def. made me reconsidering powder coating them... THANKS A LOT! bang head

DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 02:05:18 AM »

wow! looks awsome. i was considering powdercoating my suburban bars black but stick with the stainless look because it matches the tips of my termis to a tee. but man those look good. is that a satin black?

you have def. made me reconsidering powder coating them... THANKS A LOT! bang head

Thanks, and yep that's satin black.   Cool

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
redial

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 06:58:22 AM »

have you considered trying a black handlebar? i think rizoma makes one,

and i know that sunline makes a black handlebar that looks pretty spiffy. i cant say if it can stand the torque from street bike cornering, but ive seen at least one guy throw a set on a monster.

they are only 60 bucks too and come with a re-enforcement bar accross the middle that you could leave in if you like, or remove if you dont. (the bar comes wrapped with foam to keep mxers from bashing their teeth out but easily removed)

search ebay "sunline handlebar" and you should get lots of hits
Monster Dave

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 11:49:57 AM »

have you considered trying a black handlebar? i think rizoma makes one,

and i know that sunline makes a black handlebar that looks pretty spiffy. i cant say if it can stand the torque from street bike cornering, but ive seen at least one guy throw a set on a monster.

they are only 60 bucks too and come with a re-enforcement bar accross the middle that you could leave in if you like, or remove if you dont. (the bar comes wrapped with foam to keep mxers from bashing their teeth out but easily removed)

search ebay "sunline handlebar" and you should get lots of hits

As I said in a previous post in this thread, a fellow DMF'er helped me out with a pair black bars.  waytogo
mrplease

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

i don't like how the sunline or rizoma bars sit. i really like the suburban m3 bars and the angle on them...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: