Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 12:10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston outlaws exhausts without EPA certification  (Read 14035 times)
bluemoco
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

'04 M800i.e. on a no (carbon) fiber diet.

« on: July 02, 2009, 06:16:18 AM »

This new law was just enacted in Boston.

Quote:  "No person shall park, use or operate a motorcycle within the city of Boston, manufactured subsequent to Dec. 31, 1982, that does not bear the required applicable Federal EPA exhaust system label.   The Boston Police Department has the authority to fine any motorcycle that doesn't display the federally required label. All violations are punishable by a $300 fine."  Shocked

First NYC, now Boston...  It's only a matter of time before this happens here in MN, too.

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy." - Donnie Wahlberg in "The Departed"

"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, badass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
DrDesmo

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:34:44 AM »

This new law was just enacted in Boston.

Quote:  "No person shall park, use or operate a motorcycle within the city of Boston, manufactured subsequent to Dec. 31, 1982, that does not bear the required applicable Federal EPA exhaust system label.   The Boston Police Department has the authority to fine any motorcycle that doesn't display the federally required label. All violations are punishable by a $300 fine."  Shocked

First NYC, now Boston...  It's only a matter of time before this happens here in MN, too.

Time to get a Bevel Drive ss with conti's  Evil

'95 916
'12 800XC
NAKID

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »

Can they enforce that for out of state vehicles?

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »

I know most vehicales sold in the US (if not all) must be 50 state legal. Now... some bikes are only 49 states legal...

in NYC, there is only a decibel law. the law that requires the EPA stamp has not gone through yet. if you ever saw industrialgirls slideshow, you'll see how hard it is to find an EPA stamp. this has the potential to get out of hand.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Juan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:58 AM »

This is not good at all..!! is there any hope.. ??

"There are existing laws on the books at city and state level to enforce but the council went overboard on this," says motorcyclist Larry Cahill. "The absence of the imprint does not mean that the exhaust is loud. It just means that the manufacturer did not certify that the original motorcycle/muffler combination met the EPA standard. Oh, by the way — the certification is only valid for one year or 3,750 miles."

I wonder however if  we will have to be certifying them every year and how much it will cost..! dam..!

DrDesmo

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:59:37 AM »

This is not good at all..!! is there any hope.. ??

"There are existing laws on the books at city and state level to enforce but the council went overboard on this," says motorcyclist Larry Cahill. "The absence of the imprint does not mean that the exhaust is loud. It just means that the manufacturer did not certify that the original motorcycle/muffler combination met the EPA standard. Oh, by the way — the certification is only valid for one year or 3,750 miles."

I wonder however if  we will have to be certifying them every year and how much it will cost..! dam..!

I think this is more due to the rough riders crowd blasting around fenway and hitting their rev limiters every 5 seconds + the cruiser straight pipe crowd than anything.

Like most laws on the books, it's there so you can get hit with " something ".  Just act respectful, don't ping it off the limiter in town, and call it a day. 

I don't know why you'd even want to ride a bike in Boston, but that's just me ... The newbury st poser crowd will likely be the only ones affected by this  Roll Eyes

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
z0mb1e_DUC

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »

I don't even like driving the work cage in Boston, but have to.  I can't see riding there, especially Newbury St or the Fenway.

'09 m696 Dark
CMDRDAVE

'01 Yellow M900i.e. '98 Yellow 748

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »

The Boston Police Department has the authority to fine any motorcycle that doesn't DISPLAY the federally required label.

Does that mean that as long as you leave the emissions sticker on there you can do anything you want to the bike?   Wink

Insert witty comment here-->
ArguZ

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »

Well...most of you guys don't give a damn about the speed limits, so why bother with that thing here.
In Germany we have so super strict rules regarding emission and safety and helmets and everything.
Still people have two pairs of cans...one for the inspection, one for the road..
And if they catch you, you pay and finance the officers daughters education.
Maybe she will grow up and be an attorney Smiley

PS: Can't wait to get my 100% not road legal Termis and make some noise
Monster Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »

This may sound stupid, but how do you know if your slipon/full aftermarket exhaust has EPA certification?
Triple J
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »

This may sound stupid, but how do you know if your slipon/full aftermarket exhaust has EPA certification?

It doesn't most likely. AFAIK, only the stock mufflers are certified. All others usually say "for offroad use only" somewhere on the paperwork.
redxblack

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »

It'll be interesting for people who purchased bikes used that already had aftermarket cans. Sourcing OEM cans could become a pain in the balls.
AfroStar
Learning Everyday about my

I'm High When I Ride!

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »

Who is going to make us some stickers?  Who ever does will be RICH!  Evil

07 Black "Betty" Beauty
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »

that's simple.
photoshop.
Rufus120

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »