Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 04:24:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston outlaws exhausts without EPA certification  (Read 14052 times)
ghostface
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 12:49:11 PM »

Boston is too small to police this. Besides, the roads are so fvcked up who'd care?
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »

Most aftermarket exhausts (my BoomTubes included) do not have EPA/DOT certification -- and are for "off highway use only". 

The cost for certification isn't cheap and one would have to sell a thousand plus sets to recoup some of the costs involved. (per model and then you have to test for each displacement / model for various other bikes)  There isn't enough volume to make compliance testing viable for almost all of the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers.

Big problem that isn't being identified is this -- most manufacturers don't sell a "replacement OEM" exhaust system for the older models.   (and if they do what do they cost? $$$$.$$+) Thus are your old stock exhausts hidden in the corner now going to become valuable ala gold?  What is there isn't a replacement system available for your late 80's / early 90's make / model with the correct EPA/DOT stampings on it?  Does you vehicle then remain non-compliant and thus you can't ride it on the road anymore?

yotogi

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »

My cored S2R cans have an EPA label on them, would they work?

Really sounds like a law that will only be enforced if someone is looking for a good reason to pull you over.

invisible monster

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »

Denver enacted a similar law last year and I just read this week that Arvada (Denver suburb) did as well.  Angry

2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2008 Buell Ulysses XT
2003 Yamaha WR250F
1972 Yamaha 175 CT2
Munch

Monster S4R - Munchstrada 1100S - 749R

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

Enacted in Denver to combat the guys leaving the bars at 2 am and revving the bikes around town. I ride d-town all the time, with a full Arrow Exhaust and have never had an issue. Ride like a tool and you ask for trouble...

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »

NYC's law was not passed and is allegedly being rewritten for one reason.  Some of us organized, got off our asses, went to City Hall and Council Members offices to explain what was wrong with the law with documentation to prove our point.
corndog67
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 09:06:06 PM »

I went to a bike night tonight in Santa Maria, CA, and it was a Harley thing.   Every one that left went by the shop on the freeway at full throttle on their Harleys.   Lots of noise, not much speed, but a whole lot of image was going on.   It is displays like this that bring on these laws.  Everyone is tripping out about their pipes being outlawed, well, get some quiet pipes.  I know there is this image of Ducati's and the way they sound, but as long as the bike hauls ass, I'm not too worried about it.
ducsport
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 01:43:22 AM »

A similar 'sticker law' or more accurately sticker tax was enacted here in New South Wales, a state in Australia, a few years back. One local exhaust manufacturer responded by making compliance stickers available for all of their new and previously sold aftermarket slip ons.  This made a mockery of whole idea waytogo waytogo
In the end, the law was never really enforced, and was eventually overturned due to some fine lobbying by a few motorcycle riding senators. There are over riding (pardon the pun there) noise laws as well, but they only seem to be enforced if you are riding like a d!ck head and asking for trouble....ducsport
J.P.

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 06:28:13 AM »

Good- I seriously hate stinkin open pipe hogs and squid bikes. The only purpose is a statement of total disregard for fellow citizens. Asshats.
In the cowboy days they would be strung up to teach em a lesson.
Scumbag biker douch bags.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »

Good- I seriously hate stinkin open pipe hogs and squid bikes. The only purpose is a statement of total disregard for fellow citizens. Asshats.
In the cowboy days they would be strung up to teach em a lesson.
Scumbag biker douch bags.

maybe you should tell us how you really feel  Undecided

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

I seriously hate stinkin open pipe hogs

Plenty of folks here running open pipes etc. Ducs, that are loud as hell as well.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:03:17 PM by kopfjager » Logged

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
NAKID

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »

Plenty of folks here running open pipe etc. Ducs, that are loud as hell as well.

Like me...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »

And me.

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »

Like me...

Yeah. Post that vid.  Evil

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
NAKID

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »

Too Loud

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: