Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:46:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An interesting read from the NHTSA 95-04 report  (Read 1139 times)
Ducatiloo

« on: May 20, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »

National Highway Traffice Safety Admin Report on Cycle Crashes

To break it down for everyone that doen't want to read it.   The NHTSA breaks down crashes based on age, CC, type of bike etc.
The most dangerous and growing group is the Baby Boomers on Harleys that are drinking and riding without any gear

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »

I really wish I could agree with you. 

It would be so easy to blame all of our insurance woes on drunken baby-boomer Harley riders.  And I won't deny that they are a growing problem area of the biker population.

However.....the 20-29 yr old group still gets the booby prize for highest accident rate. 

from page 25 of the report:
These increases have been observed for the most part, in the over 40 age group. The percent of fatalities in the 20-29 age group has declined considerably between 1995 and 2004 and declines were also seen in the percent of fatalities in the under 20 and the 30-39 age groups during the same period.

However, there are still proportionally more fatalities in the 20-29 year age group than in the other age groups from 1995 to 2004. This indicates that the 20-29 age group is still the leading age group in terms of the number of motorcycle rider fatalities among all age groups.

Sorry.... Undecided   Maybe you can find something else in the stats.  But it seems that the only reason that the younger group's percentages went down is because they became a smaller percentage of the overall biker population. It's so easy to twist statistics into whatever you want to find.  As an aside, I wonder what would have happened if the researchers had used horsepower figures instead of engine displacement to segregate bike classes.

So....Who wants first kick at me for spouting such sacrelige??   cheeky
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:07:58 PM by PizzaMonster » Logged

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: