Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 19, 2024, 04:21:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Children as passengers  (Read 5562 times)
WhiteStripe

Monster Addiction

« on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »

In all seriousness, i have two young children (under 10) who both really want to go for a ride.  My view is that around my neighborhood (25 mph speed limit) it is probably no more dangerouse then riding thier bikes.  Not talking highway, just a short ride on quiet back roads.

I grew up riding on the back of my Dad's bike in rural NH and used to LOVE it - some of my best memories with him.

Helmets seem to be a challenge too...are there good, reasonably priced childrens helemts out there.

Just curious.

Tim

2006 S2R 1000, Arrow CF exhaust, FatDuc 02, CF open cc with stock pp
Duc Fever

07 S2R1K 09 696(Wifes)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:47:38 AM »

I will give my boys (7&10) a ride around the block every now and then, but have never taken them beyond that.  I did pick up my 16yo from school on it once or twice but her school is less than a mile down the road.  I have seen people going down the freeway with a small child holding on and it is always unnerving to see.

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him" ~ John Morely
trenner

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:59:44 AM »

This is a tough question.

One of my fondest memories as a child was that one time that my daredevil uncle Park took me for a ride on the back of his bike, on the quiet streets around Candlewood Lake in Connecticut.  I still have a picture of me, wearing a helmet (backwards) that was twelve sizes too big.  The memory of that single motorcycle ride is, I think, a big part of why I bought a motorcycle (and later, two, then three) myself many years later.

On the other hand, my mom was nucking futs to entrust her cherub to crazy uncle Park.  Even low-speed crashes (with or without gear) can be fatal, or break bones, or require skin reassignment.  And as you point out, there's the issue of finding a proper helmet.  Plus the different mental and physical maturity of the rider: telling a 4-year-old to "hang on tight" just isn't the same as telling an adult that.

So: best of times, formative in a lasting way, but carrying dangers that are unique to the passenger being a child.

Doing a search for children's gear right now.  I know that it's out there...
RUFKM
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:03 AM »

Oh great, I'm the second vote and both are "restricted by court".

I actually bought my duc as a replacement part for my kids.  It's noisy, annoying, expensive and has a bad temperament.  But the number 1 reason it reminds me of my kids is the sound of the dry clutch.  It sounds like the clothes dryer used to when the stones, nails, pennies & marbles fell out of their pockets.
Duc Fever

07 S2R1K 09 696(Wifes)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:07:02 AM »

Check this little gem I found for riding with kids:

http://www.childridingbelt.com/enghome.htm

Has handlebars and everything  Shocked

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him" ~ John Morely
trenner

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:15:29 AM »

Children's Helmets
http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=37
http://www.helmetshop.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Childrens+Helmets

Children's Armor
http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=24&cat=Children%27s+Leather+Motorcycle+Gear
http://www.babybiker.com/
http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?c=14&cat=kids_clothing
http://www.eagleleatherstore.com/store/product/13425/Kids-M.C.-Jacket-Pink/

NAKID

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:51 AM »

I have not had a passenger on my bike, period.

I did, however, see some idiot influencing the way his kid view safety gear the other day.
Cruiser bike (I wanna say a Honda), guy was wearing a wifebeater, half helmet, shorts and tennis shoes. His ~9-10y/o daughter was wearing a short sleaved shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and a 3/4 helmet.
WTF?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:47:36 AM by NAKID » Logged

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:50 AM »

FWIW, there are some studies which have found a higher probability of accident the closer you are to home........something about "comfort zone" and not being as alert as when you are further away/in unfamiliar surroundings/traffic patterns.

here is one example
https://www.chase.com/cm/cig/advice-and-planning/page/june02caraccidents.html
just my .02

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »

I did, however, see some idiot influencing the way his kid view safety gear the other day.
Cruiser bike (I wanna say a Honda), guy was wearing a wifebeater, half helmet, shorts and tennis shoes. His ~9-10y/o daughter was wearing a short sleaved shit, shorts, tennis shoes and a 3/4 helmet.
WTF?

+1 on the passenger (never)

I have also seen the young daughter on the back in shorts, tennis shoes, tank top etc. Drives me nuts.  Angry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:38:49 AM by kopfjager » Logged

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
trenner

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »

wearing a short sleaved shit

Nasty.
NAKID

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:49 AM »

Nasty.

laughingdp Fixed...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
No_Normale

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »

We have a small child and she loves motos. In fact, it was one of her early words. We have chosen to explain why she can't ride our motorcycles when they are moving (we do let her sit on them in the garage). She knows that she will need to wear full gear and can identify it for us even better than the alphabet and numbers. She knows that when "I get bigger" she too can have boots, gloves, helmet (full face), jacket, and pants and ride with us. I don't have a magic age for this though... I am guessing we will know when she is ready.

That being said, every time we go to a cycle shop where there is gear she runs right over to the gear and starts trying it on. At two and nine months she is informing her daddy and myself that:

"I am not bigger yet, but when I can wear this gloves and helmet, I can ride on your motorbike, ok?"

She wants a pink helmet and red riding gear... I do hope that changes-  Roll Eyes
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:02:40 AM »

when she can reach the passenger pegs and can hold on correctly (holding on correctly is both a size and a mental thing) then of course she's coming out for rides.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
mrs minnesotamonster

piccolo mostro

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »

Cruiser bike (I wanna say a Honda), guy was wearing a wifebeater, half helmet, shorts and tennis shoes. His ~9-10y/o daughter was wearing a short sleaved shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and a 3/4 helmet.
WTF?

We saw something similar last week...guy on a sportbike with a little girl on the back. She could barely reach the passenger pegs. Both of them wearing shorts, sandals, t-shirts and dirt bike helmets. She had goggles, he had sunglasses.
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »

As soon as my god son is mature enough, responsible enough and strong enough to hold on and big enough to reach the rear pegs he is coming with me.

My dad's friend used to have an old Honda cruiser.  One of my fondest memories was the 2 times he took me out on that bike just around the neighborhood.  The motorcycle bug hit me at that moment when I felt so free just being in the air.  I want to share that feeling with the ones I love.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: