Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 18, 2024, 10:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original monster origins  (Read 4633 times)
va122

« on: July 13, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »

What was the original monster an naked version of?

If you're going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

What was the original monster an naked version of?
It wasn't a version of anything.

It was a new bike.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

You got it backwards... naked bikes come before faired bikes. Wink
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:15:57 PM »

You got it backwards... naked bikes come before faired bikes. Wink
not in his experience. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

duc996

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »

The Monster is the origin :-)

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
m1moto

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

From the Ducati HEritage website

On display is the Monster 900, a model destined to take its rightful place in the history of international motorcycling.
Monstrously beautiful, it is a cocktail of exquisite Ducati components, including the trellis frame from the 851/888 series and the 904 cc air/oil cooled Pompone engine from the Supersport range.

2006 S2R1K  |  Red + White  |  Full Carbon Arrows
http://freshbrand.com/
va122

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:53:36 AM »

This is what i was wondering. Thank you all.

From the Ducati HEritage website

On display is the Monster 900, a model destined to take its rightful place in the history of international motorcycling.
Monstrously beautiful, it is a cocktail of exquisite Ducati components, including the trellis frame from the 851/888 series and the 904 cc air/oil cooled Pompone engine from the Supersport range.

teddy037.2
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:37:22 AM »

it is a cocktail of exquisite Ducati components

passionate italian translation of "parts bin special"

Cheesy
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »

Note that only the 1992 851 had the same frame, so when it is said that it was an 851/888 frame, that doesn't apply to the earlier 851's.  The earlier 851's had a frame that was welded at the front where it was bent on the 888.  The aluminum 888 swingarm was also used for the Monster.  If you park a mid-90's Monster next to an 888 it's interesting to see the similarities in frame and swingarm.  Everything behind the rear engine bolt is different, though.  The Monster has a different sub-frame welded on as part of the frame while the 888 has a bolt-on rear sub-frame.

Wheels and brakes were pretty much the same, but the Monster had cheaper forks.  The 888 has adjustable Showa forks and an Ohlins shock while the Monster had non-adjustable Showa forks and a Sachs shock.

If somebody in the Bay Area wants to ride their 93-95 Monster to Pleasanton, I would be happy to take the fairings off of my 888 and photograph the various parts of the two bikes together to document the similarities.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »

If somebody in the Bay Area wants to ride their 93-95 Monster to Pleasanton, I would be happy to take the fairings off of my 888 and photograph the various parts of the two bikes together to document the similarities.

That's a cool idea, Scott.  mostrobelle n' Enzo are on your side of the bay and both have '94 monsters.   waytogo

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Goat_Herder

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »

I have a Minichamps Ducati Monster and a Tamiya Ducati 888 at my desk.  I can do a quick comparison right before my eyes.   cheeky

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
va122

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 06:01:54 AM »

Oh, forgive the ignorance. I thought the original monster was just a de faringed version of some bike.

Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »

I wonder why they combined the 851/888 frame with the air cooled engine?  It definitely looks cool and allowed for the Monster tank to be shaped the way it is.  Why didn't they just take off all the fairings from the Supersport and put a round head light on front and call that the Monster?  Was it cheaper?  Or was it for aesthetics?
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 08:57:02 AM »

I wonder why they combined the 851/888 frame with the air cooled engine?  It definitely looks cool and allowed for the Monster tank to be shaped the way it is.  Why didn't they just take off all the fairings from the Supersport and put a round head light on front and call that the Monster?  Was it cheaper?  Or was it for aesthetics?
Take a good look at a SuperSport frame.  Not nearly as nice looking as the SuperBike frame.

And since all Ducati engines fit the same way in the frame, minus the occasional cross brace, the SuperBike frame was the obvious choice.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
CairnsDuc
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »

If I recall correctly, the engine chosen was not meant to be the original engine, he was going to use the engine from the superbike, but due to the high demand for that engine, he had to take the smaller engine.

but, I also remember reading, when he first built the bike, it was not for production, it was for his own personal use, it was only after seeing the bike (A manager/A CEO, someone like that) that he was asked to develop the concept and make it into a production bike, it almost became a Cagiva Monster, but Ducati's board wanted it more, so they got it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: