Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 10:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Weather  (Read 1998 times)
WarrenJ

« on: July 20, 2009, 03:58:05 AM »

Hopefully everyone got out to do some riding Sunday - The weather was perfect - sunny, not too hot or humid, light breezes - wow it was nice for riding!  I did about a 100 mile loop in Waushara and Waupaca counties and didn't want to stop.  Lots of other bikes on the road - mostly Harleys and Goldwings.  GREAT DAY!

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
Ducatiloo

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »

I sure did,  great day, the only way it could have been better was if it was a Saturday.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
vwboomer

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »

mmm not me. I spent all day smoking a hunk o' pork and wiring the garage. I was lucky enough, however to put on 200 miles friday and bit over 300 on the way back from Platteville Sat without much rain.

Front tire is toast. Maybe I'll get that valve check done now

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
WarrenJ

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:54 AM »

Platteville - my Alma Mater

I need to think about checking my valves too.  I've racked up just about 4000 miles on the Monster this summer so far.  Have you ever done it?  I have plenty of precision measuring equipment, I've just never dove into Ducati innards much before.  I've done a lot of gunsmithing - basically an internal combustion engine with an unattached piston.  California Cycle Works has a pretty good video on their website on checking the valves to determine if they need shimming.  It doesn't look like it should be that tough to do. 

I am trying to plan a run up to Bayfield/Superior sometime this summer.  It looks like about a 700 mile weekend.  Should be fun.

vwboomer

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »

Yep I did the 6k mile valve check myself. Nothing needed adjustment but a couple were close. I'm tryin to work up the ambition to do the 12k check now that I'm....way over  Roll Eyes

Took me about 6 hours to do it the first time without replacing anything since I double and triple checked everything. To actually replace shims would probly take me a week. Onea these days I'm going to call Corse and see what they get just for valves. That'll motorvate me to either do it myself or take it in.

Went to school in Pville for a whole year and a half and this was the first time I've been back since maybe 96.

2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
WarrenJ

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »

Stupid question - can you get at everything to check the valves with the motor in place or do you have to drop it out? 

I graduated from P-ville in '86, my wife graduated there in '84.  She's from west of Lancaster originally so we get down through that area now and again.  My wife and I actually got engaged on top of the "M"  We actually had a reunion of sorts there last year with a bunch of us from the wing getting together.  Pretty fun. 

vwboomer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:37:56 AM »

You can certainly do it with the engine in. Might be easier if it happens to be out however.
The exhaust valves on the rear cylinder are a royal PITA. Come to think of it, the rest of em aren't much better Wink damn 4 valver

2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
WarrenJ

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »

Took a nice 102 mile run this morning up to Waupaca, Scandinavia, Manawa, Weyauwega and back home.  County B between Scandinavia and Manawa was fun to ride on.  The first 4 miles or so were nice connected sweepers across the tops of some scenic hardwood hills.  I saw 2 cars in 12 miles in that area.  Great weather and a great ride!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: