Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 08, 2024, 06:18:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 696: Front forks upgrade  (Read 11478 times)
didzhej

« on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »

thinking to upgrade front forks on my 696.
those are not adjustable and I don't like it.
any ideas, or link to threads with discussions?
thx

didzhej
BellissiMoto

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:14:02 AM »

Unfortunately there aren't yet any spring/cartridge/valve type upgrades for your oem forks on the market (at least that I am aware of), but there is another option:

Replace your forks altogether.

In fact, with a little customization (bored out or replaced triples, and correct wheel spacers), you could be totally unique and add a set of the top of the line Marzocchi fully adjustable RAC 50 forks.

Cider

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »

Traxxion's webpage says that if they don't have an AK-20 cartridge kit for your bike, they will make one and install for free.  I've never tried them personally, but other people seem to like them a lot.

If you do not see your bike in the Application Chart contact us to see if we have an application for your bike.  If we do not we will create a specification for your bike, and the installation for of the kit will be done for free, you only pay for the cartridges!

http://traxxion.com/detail.aspx

If you're nuts, go for the gas-charged system!

http://traxxion.com/detail-2.aspx
danaid

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »

thinking to upgrade front forks on my 696.
those are not adjustable and I don't like it.
any ideas, or link to threads with discussions?
thx

I'm in the same scenario as you. I just started to call and Email companies (including BellissiMoto) about suspension parts for the 696 and received answers like "not yet" or "give me the fork specs. and we'll build them for you, which I also need to research.
 So far the most hope was from RaceTech here in Cali. I called them and they said they haven't started to assemble a kit yet, and If I sent them my forks for them to research and build a kit with, they would cut me a deal.
 If there aren't any suspension kits available by the winter, I think I will send my forks to Race Tech for work. I do not want to invest in new forks/shock because  I plan on stepping up to a streetfighter in the future, I only need set up the suspension for my weight(215lbs).

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
chisel

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:55:49 AM »

I'm curious if the 848 forks would work. I don't know the specs on those aside from that they are 43 mm (correct?). Also, I believe the brake disc sizes are the same. Hell, when I look at the base of the fork on my 696, I can see the spot that would be drilled and machined for adjusters. Anybody with any input on this?
Raux
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:44 PM »

hmmm you might have hit on something. they are both 43 mm showa. only diff is the adjustable part. anyone have the two in their garage to be able to measure the lengths? also the weight of the 848 is 15 lbs heavier so they should be firmer to start with and has 7mm more travel.
didzhej

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:09:19 AM »

I'm in the same scenario as you. I just started to call and Email companies (including BellissiMoto) about suspension parts for the 696 and received answers like "not yet" or "give me the fork specs. and we'll build them for you, which I also need to research.
 So far the most hope was from RaceTech here in Cali. I called them and they said they haven't started to assemble a kit yet, and If I sent them my forks for them to research and build a kit with, they would cut me a deal.
 If there aren't any suspension kits available by the winter, I think I will send my forks to Race Tech for work. I do not want to invest in new forks/shock because  I plan on stepping up to a streetfighter in the future, I only need set up the suspension for my weight(215lbs).

Did u think about to order forks from new Monster (M1100)?
I' do.

Just waiting for proper price offer.

didzhej
caperix

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:29:48 AM »

43mm is the measurement of the stanchion.  The 848 fork body, were the tripple mounts is 53mm top, 53mm bottom.  They do neck down to 51mm between the tripples so if the headstock length is different this could be an issue.  The over all length is 500mm from the bottom of the fork cap to the top of the fork seal.
I think there is someone on this board running 848 forks on an S4r, but I don't know how the 696/1100 forks compair to the older monsters.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:31:51 AM by caperix » Logged
didzhej

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »

Will do some checks at local dealer's garage.
Maybe at Monday.

didzhej
danaid

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »

Did u think about to order forks from new Monster (M1100)?
I' do.

Just waiting for proper price offer.

No, I was looking more towards internals(springs, cartridge, valves?) which I would assume would be cheaper. and set up to my weight. I would just buy an 1100/S before spending lots of money upgrading to new suspension for my 696.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
Raux
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »

No, I was looking more towards internals(springs, cartridge, valves?) which I would assume would be cheaper. and set up to my weight. I would just buy an 1100/S before spending lots of money upgrading to new suspension for my 696.

plus i think the 1100 forks are longer.
zippo

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 06:23:30 AM »

(just bought a 696, am changing fto 1098 forks now)
some info-
yes, you can machine top clamp, shim lower clamp, and fit superbike forks-there's a thread on this site already showing that basic mod, it's been done 578 times on monsters.  for 696 , fitting typical s/b forks will require the calipers changed to gold line brembo calipers and fitting a different fender, as well as the clamp modifications.

some more 696 bits:
 -all 'normal' ducati forks are about an inch longer than 696 fork... all will need the clamps shimmed/ bored.
-the 696 forks have only ONE non-adjustable dampening cartridge, the other fork is just a spring....
-the visible casting for a compression adjustment doesn't matter, -they're isn't anything inside to adjust.

update 8/14/09  The 696 forks don't align the calipers with the 696 rotors--needs wider spaced rotors, or a 1098 type front wheel... the traditional style superbike forks (the silver forks in my pic) are the simplest to fit-just use the brembo goldline calipers, and then the stock 696 axle, wheel, rotors, brake line and fender will all fit....

i'm using the 1098 foks on my 696. i also have that set of standard s/b forks and their goldline brembo calipers for  another conversion, that i'll be selling.. (the silver forks in the pics)

minty/new condition forks, goldline calipers, and the shims- $850,
-for those forks on a 696, all you would  need is to machine or replace the top clamp..

hope that helps.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:08:05 PM by zippo » Logged
chisel

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »

Ok, so...

Problem: 848/1098 forks are a different diameter at the triple clamps than 696 forks
Solution: machine top clamp and shim lower clamp OR change tripe clamps.

Problem: 848/1098 forks are 1 inch longer than 696 forks.
Solution: change fork position in clamps.

Problem: 696 axles are smaller than 858/1098 axles
Solution: custom make axle spacers OR use 848/1098 axle and wheel(?)

Am I missing anything or am I off my rocker anywhere?
zippo

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »

Ok, so...

Problem: 848/1098 forks are a different diameter at the triple clamps than 696 forks
Solution: machine top clamp and shim lower clamp OR change tripe clamps.

Problem: 848/1098 forks are 1 inch longer than 696 forks.
Solution: change fork position in clamps.

Problem: 696 axles are smaller than 858/1098 axles
Solution: custom make axle spacers OR use 848/1098 axle and wheel(?)

Am I missing anything or am I off my rocker anywhere?
1.all forks that we'd want to use are 53/53 diameter, so yes shim and machine the monster 50/54 clamps
2.superbike clamps are not the same offset, stem length,  cannnot be mixed with monster clamps, and may not fit the chassis,  so i'd say using s/b clamps is out.
3. yes, one can slide the forks tubes to adjust the height/length
4.yes, 1098 forks either need the 1098 axle, or a spacer made to fit the 696 axle to the right-hand fork.

yes, you could probably use the entire wheel (and fender) from a 1098, but if you're going that far and don't care that the wheels don't match, etc. then maybe just using a monster 1100 front end would be better.

not so much a bunch of problems, as just a few varied aspcts.. ;-)

i will probably have one complete superbike fork setup left over for a 696,  with the gold line superbike calipers  and  a monster top clamp that's already  machined  etc.

i

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:15:35 AM by zippo » Logged
Raux
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »

i will probably have one complete superbike fork setup left over for a 696,  with the gold line superbike calipers  and  a monster top clamp that's already  machined  etc.

$?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: