Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 03:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1200cc air cooled motor  (Read 2662 times)
Norm

hurricanemotorcycles.com

« on: May 21, 2008, 12:33:33 PM »

About a year ago on the DML, in a thread titled 984, many of us were having a conversation about the possibilties of a 1200cc propriatary motor with an aim of 100 ft/pds of torque. I've been working on the project for quite a while now & am ready to have prototypes made. The initial cost for a set of cases made of billit is about $4300 with additional production runs between $3-4000 depending on quantity. The aim of the new cases is to add strength to the areas that have a reputation of breaking and to provide a stable platform for higher levels of torque than anything else ever made with stock Ducati cases. These are BARE cases & need all the good stuff added ($10M?). I have developed a cam similar to one of the VeeTwo cams, had 12/1 pistons designed, and am going to start with a 71.5 crankshaft. The bore will be adjustable from 94mm to 104mm & getting different size jugs made is pretty reasonable. I prefer a longer crank throw but don't know if I'll be able to accomplish it using stock gears, lay shaft location, etc. I'm trying to use as many stock Ducati parts as possible in order to ease costs & have a wider availability for parts service - bearings, rockers, etc..
I've been working with profesionals who do this sort of thing for a living ('cause I sure don't), and because of the uniqueness of the project, everything so far has been done for free. It's now "put up or shut up" time & I'm trying to get others to participate in the cost of the project by investing $1000 or more each. This will allow you to purchase any and all parts for this motor at cost. I only want the motor for use in Hurricane motorcycles & with 1 or 2 exceptions, I have no plans on selling anything independently. If someone wishes to resell something, that's fine with me, I won't be competing with them. I need 6-8 others besides myself.
Please discuss as much as you want in this thread (whether you are interested in investing or not), or feel free to contact me dirrectly at : motomaxy@yahoo.com
zarn02

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »

neato. waytogo

i don't have the scratch, but this sounds like a cool thing.

questions:

1. what frame(s) is this case designed to go into, and how much physically larger is it (i.e. will folks run into clearence problems)?

2. uhm... well, i sure thought i had another question, but it seems to have escaped me. perhaps it will come back later. Tongue

keep us posted.

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
Norm

hurricanemotorcycles.com

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »

The motor will fit in any Ducati style frame & the dimensions will be very similar, if not the same. If I'm able to inclease the stroke more, then the cylinder heads would grow accordingly, but that's it. I haven't desided which of the 2 swingarm pivit widths I want to use but since it's a billit project, I would think each case cound be made to whatever swingarm width is specified without affecting cost.
Lord_Bragle

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »

100 ft lbs. from 1200 cc are what you are aiming for Norm and from a V twin motor.  Torque is one thing and power another as far as I understand it and its torque that we actually use to ride about with and power = something else and is completely different and something more to get confused about.  I drive a VW 1900 cc turbo diesel car that makes 280 ft lbs of torque at 1900 RPM (310 when chipped “at a price” they would have me believe) a big heavy car full of people and with a small engine and yet it still goes along fast, what a blast a big capacity turbo diesel motorcycle would be, eliminate turbo lag and we could bask in limitless torque while riding a motorcycle, I love torque and power.  Sorry Norm m8 but I cant help you with your quest to get huge amounts of torque and power from your redesign of Ducati’s V twin motor, best of luck with making new castings and such and please show pics when u done it.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: