Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 27, 2024, 07:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shark Week is back!!!!  (Read 1706 times)
rockaduc

« on: August 02, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »

Anyone else REALLY look forward to this week every year???

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Got Duc

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »

waytogo

Why do roaches always die on their back?

That because the survivors flip them over to steal their sneakers and wallets.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »

Blood in the Water at 9est. About the 1916 shark attacks off the New Jersey coast.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »

Yea, I watched some of it tonight.  Good research-type real info type stuff and a little scary too.

Hell, after Jaws came out I could hardly take a shower. If you don't think you're fish bate when you enter the ocean, you are mistaken.  I remember when I asked if sharks came up into the Chesapeake bay when I lived on the water in Md.  Yea, but only Bull Sharks was the answer.  Hell, later I found out they eat up more peeps than you can imagine, many many miles up into fresh water rivers.

I love to water ski and I feel like something's about to gobble me up every time I fall and have to wait on the boat to pick me up - in fresh water land locked lakes.

Yea, I like shark week.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

Last month I did some diving while on vacation in the bahamas. On my last dive a seven foot long Caribbean reef shark had a little swim through on us. It just appeared out of the blue haze, looked at the dive group and cruised right through. It was so effortless in its motions, just ominously moving through the water like living submarine. I would have thought I would be scared but was awestruck instead. I ended up learning a lot about sharks from the divemaster and have a new appreciation and respect for them now.

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
GAAN
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »

man has no business in water
redxblack

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »

Humans kill far more sharks than sharks kill humans. Sharks are an essential part of the marine ecosystem. I am in awe of the animals and enjoy watching shark week programming, but I don't like the fearmongering aspects of it. It's far more salacious than educational much of the time.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »

Discovery Channel's promotion for this year's Shark Week created quite a buzz, mostly by freaking people out -- exactly what they intended!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/07/08/whats-up-with-discovery-channels-shark-week-promotion/22522
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:08:50 PM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
rockaduc

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 03:23:28 PM »

Last month I did some diving while on vacation in the bahamas. On my last dive a seven foot long Caribbean reef shark had a little swim through on us. It just appeared out of the blue haze, looked at the dive group and cruised right through. It was so effortless in its motions, just ominously moving through the water like living submarine. I would have thought I would be scared but was awestruck instead. I ended up learning a lot about sharks from the divemaster and have a new appreciation and respect for them now.
That is quite the experience!!!!  My wife and I are getting SCUBA cert. by the end of the year.  I can't wait to go!!  Where did you get certified?

End threadjack of my own thread.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »

Shark Week rawwwks.  Cool

I would love to go diving in a shark cage where they're dumping chum in the water to get them all riled up.....  waytogo

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
derby

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »

Shark Week rawwwks.  Cool

I would love to go diving in a shark cage where they're dumping chum in the water to get them all riled up.....  waytogo

i have a buddy that does that....

...'cept he's the guy outside of the cage taking pics of the people in the cage.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:11 AM »

i have a buddy that does that....

...'cept he's the guy outside of the cage taking pics of the people in the cage.

Nah, I'd rather be in the cage and freaked out.  Wink

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:10 AM »

Come visit me, we can go cage diving in False Bay of the Cape coast waytogo

Biggest great white`s you will ever see

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
dropstharockalot
Sex-Toy Bludgeonin'

The Teabaggin' Dragon

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 03:38:53 AM »

"Shark Week" was what my last gf called her monthly visit from Aunt Flo.

"Sorry, babe, it's Shark Week." = least favorite words.

'96 M900
Stage One - K&N Pods- DynaCoils - Remus Ti Hi-mount pipes (dented) -Thrashed paint - dented tank - Oberon bar-ends
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 04:08:27 AM »

That is quite the experience!!!!  My wife and I are getting SCUBA cert. by the end of the year.  I can't wait to go!!  Where did you get certified?

End threadjack of my own thread.

I took the book portion in college and did the final open water cert. with Dive Abaco in Abaco, Bahamas which is a group of out islands east of nassau. All the diving was done at an underwater preserve/ Bahamian nat'l park. It was pretty high priced compared to some other places but incredible.

I think I'm going back in March, this time I'm going to try and do a shark feeding dive now that I have the cert. Shark feeds were outlawed in FL and the US I think, not for the danger but because environmentalist say it spoils how the sharks naturally feed, or something along those lines. In that area the local sharks are predominantly reefs, some lemon sharks too. There are some bull sharks and tiger sharks but they are less likely to encounter and they are more dangerous so that is a good thing.

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: