Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:08:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feels like chain skipping but not...  (Read 717 times)
Citypol86

ferro ignique gesta res

« on: August 06, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »

Hey!  I haven’t logged in for a while which is good, I’m out ridin’.  I have a problem now though.  I noticed what almost feels like the chain slipping when I start off.  I checked the chain and its adjusted properly.  I then checked the front sprocket and noticed the teeth are fine but a small amount of sideways movement is present in it.  In other words, the entire front sprocket moves a bit.  Is this correct?  I don’t recall any movement before and thought I’d check with you, the experts, before I do damage or should I say, more damage.
Thanks again and in advance,

Later…
Brewster…

needtorque

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »

The front sprocket will have a bit of side to side play in it.  A very small amount.  Is your rear sprocket still good?  If you have the stock one it is probably fine but the aluminum ones wear out rather fast.  Clutch maybe slipping.  Fueling issues could cause lurching that feels like slipping as well.

Who insures the FDIC?
RBX QB
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »

Define "when I start off."

My clutch is getting up there in miles, and under hard acceleration, I can feel it slip. Took me a few times before I realized that was the problem, as I thought the chain at first, too.
corndog67
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »

Have someone ride next to you, and give it the mean eyeball when you are accelerating, and watch what happens.  Check the sprocket bolts.  Make sure the sprocket is in good shape, no mishapped teeth, check the chain tension, make sure the rear wheel is tight (the axle), make sure everything is in line.  Check the swingarm for side play. Check your motormount bolts.   Check everything connected with that rear wheel.  Put the front wheel against a wall, take off the front sprocket cover, put it in gear, and load against the clutch, and have someone watch for things moving around that shouldn't be.  There isn't a whole lot to it. 
Citypol86

ferro ignique gesta res

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:33:46 AM »

The front sprocket will have a bit of side to side play in it.  A very small amount.  Is your rear sprocket still good?  If you have the stock one it is probably fine but the aluminum ones wear out rather fast.  Clutch maybe slipping.  Fueling issues could cause lurching that feels like slipping as well.
Define "when I start off."

My clutch is getting up there in miles, and under hard acceleration, I can feel it slip. Took me a few times before I realized that was the problem, as I thought the chain at first, too.
Have someone ride next to you, and give it the mean eyeball when you are accelerating, and watch what happens.  Check the sprocket bolts.  Make sure the sprocket is in good shape, no mishapped teeth, check the chain tension, make sure the rear wheel is tight (the axle), make sure everything is in line.  Check the swingarm for side play. Check your motormount bolts.   Check everything connected with that rear wheel.  Put the front wheel against a wall, take off the front sprocket cover, put it in gear, and load against the clutch, and have someone watch for things moving around that shouldn't be.  There isn't a whole lot to it. 
First off, thank you all for answering and I'm sorry it took so long to get back on when you guys were so quick. 
NT, I'd say sideplay is more like 1/8 inch.  I know the clutch is slipping.  at about 95mph going from 4th to 5th I can make it slip a lot if I don't baby it. 
RBX, it feels almost like a light grinding with the jerkyness of slipping a tooth but the sprockets are in good shape.  Its not the typical clutch slip where the revs just take off but is smooth.  "Starting off" would be the lower half of the rpm's in first gear under moderate acceleration.  I haven't gotten "on it" since the problem. 
CD, I haven't had time to go over it thoroughly yet.  Chain and axle are good though.  [Been riding the other bike.]  I need to give it a good going-over but was hoping to narrow it down a little.
To all, what does a bad cush drive feel like?

Again, thanks for the help.

Later...
Brewster...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: