Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas tank cap  (Read 2745 times)
bondibox

« on: May 21, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »

My gas tank is rusted shut - can't turn the key.  I'll probably need a new tank, since I drained a lot of rustwater out of the old one (I'm considering buying a clean, dented tank, which pains me to no end).  My first option would be a replacement keyless racing gas cap, but I'd like to clean up the old locking cap & key assembly and put it in the new tank.  Anyone got an idea on how I can get the old cap to open in order to remove it, short of cutting the tank in half?  Is it best to not use the old tank anymore or can I try and clean it out and possibly coat it?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »

My gas tank is rusted shut - can't turn the key.  I'll probably need a new tank, since I drained a lot of rustwater out of the old one (I'm considering buying a clean, dented tank, which pains me to no end).  My first option would be a replacement keyless racing gas cap, but I'd like to clean up the old locking cap & key assembly and put it in the new tank.  Anyone got an idea on how I can get the old cap to open in order to remove it, short of cutting the tank in half?  Is it best to not use the old tank anymore or can I try and clean it out and possibly coat it?

I'd sacrifice the cap and save the tank.

Not too many that can't be saved.

You might try some WD 40 on the cap.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

teddy037.2
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »

+1

just remove the old cap. I had used this... marine epoxy stuff to seal the tank from future rust on my old GS500... local moto shop did it for me.

once the cap's off, you could try and clean it out from the underside if it's just sticky
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:47:10 PM »

If you're really concerned about having a keyed fuel cap just buy another one on Ebay and bring it to your local locksmith and have it rekeyed. I bought one and it cost about $15 at the locksmith.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
bondibox

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:08 AM »

Thanks for the responses, but "just remove the old cap" is much easier said than done.  I like the idea of sacrificing the old cap and re-keying a new one, but it's still frozen shut.  I've removed the 5 screws which hold the cap in place, but until I turn the key and open the cap, it's still in locked and shut position.  Sure, I tried WD40 into the keyhole, even removed the tank and angled it so that the drips would travel toward the latch, but it's been a couple of weeks and that key just isn't going to turn.  Maybe I could drill it out?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:42:08 AM »

Thanks for the responses, but "just remove the old cap" is much easier said than done.  I like the idea of sacrificing the old cap and re-keying a new one, but it's still frozen shut.  I've removed the 5 screws which hold the cap in place, but until I turn the key and open the cap, it's still in locked and shut position.  Sure, I tried WD40 into the keyhole, even removed the tank and angled it so that the drips would travel toward the latch, but it's been a couple of weeks and that key just isn't going to turn.  Maybe I could drill it out?
The cap won't come off because there is a security screw underneath.

Did you try tapping on the cylinder to shock it?

Sometimes downward pressure will take the load off the mechanism and make the key easier to turn.

If all else fails...drilling is the answer.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Jobu

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »

The cap won't come off because there is a security screw underneath.

Did you try tapping on the cylinder to shock it?

Sometimes downward pressure will take the load off the mechanism and make the key easier to turn.

If all else fails...drilling is the answer.

Yea.  I had to open mine with a drill.  But that was because I'm a dipshit and lost the key.

(@  )( @ )
NAKID

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

You can also try the WD-40 or PB Blaster in the lock, let it sit for a while. Then take the key, and insert and remove several times wiping it in between...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: