Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:13:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 65mph tank slapper!!  (Read 11041 times)
Jetbrett

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »

I'm probably not explaining it well.  The suspension is overwhelmed due to not being able to compress and rebound fast enough for the conditions.   Then again, I could be misinterpreting what I've read.   

M695 Dark
Raux
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »

I'm probably not explaining it well.  The suspension is overwhelmed due to not being able to compress and rebound fast enough for the conditions.   Then again, I could be misinterpreting what I've read.   
basically the way i experienced it.. was in a lean when the front unloaded and pretty much tucked under when it reloaded then started oscillating from lock to lock. if it had a steering damper or (now i know) had i unloaded it again by twisting the throttle it would have settled down... but as it was, i was thrown highside.
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »

What seems to start many tank slappers is when the front wheel either completely loses traction due to a light front end, or has such a small amount of traction that the front wheel can turn a bit with very little pressure on the bars.  When it touches back down and suddenly gets a whole lot of traction the front end tries to get back straight as quickly as possible.  If there is no steering damper, the weight of the forks, wheel, bars, etc., cause it to overshoot, then it tries to correct itself again and things get worse very quickly.  Tank slappers are very violent.  I hope to never experience another one.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
BumbleB

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »

basically the way i experienced it.. was in a lean when the front unloaded and pretty much tucked under when it reloaded then started oscillating from lock to lock. if it had a steering damper or (now i know) had i unloaded it again by twisting the throttle it would have settled down... but as it was, i was thrown highside.

A steering damper would help avoid a tank slapper?

I'm not much for quotes - tell me what you know...
Raux
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »

avoid or reduce the violent nature. a SOUND investment in a bike that has a tendency to be loose up front.
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 03:19:53 AM »

A steering damper would help avoid a tank slapper?
I'm certain that a steering damper would have prevented the tank slapper that I experienced in 2003.  I know of a few other cases of Monster tank slappers where a steering damper most likely would have prevented it as well.

Especially on the older Monsters, a steering damper can make a huge difference.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 06:31:17 PM »

Tank slappers/headshake are not front suspension issues.  As stated above it is the front tire out of alignment with the bike's direction of travel.  The front then grips and tries to return to the path of least resistance(rolling inline with the bike), but over corrects again and again.  Taking weight off the tire by adding throttle allows it to correct itself.  Very hard to do in the moment b/c the natural instinct is to release the throttle.

Or the rear can step out so far enough to one side or the other, regain traction and shake the bike back and forth so violently that the frame will contact the bars.  I believe this is what Pompetta experienced since he was not doing anything to lighten or cross up the front.  His rear tire hydroplaned to one side, then regained traction.

Examples of both in a matter of 2 sec.

Close Shave!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:32:57 PM by BastrdHK » Logged

M-ROCin' it!!!
pennyrobber

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 08:18:44 AM »

The only true tank slapper I had came on my CBR when I hit a pot hole doing about 70. The handle bar went lock to lock several times. It happened so fast I had no time to react and I have no idea how I held on. My wrists got pretty banged up and I burned my leg on my exhaust when my feet came off the pegs. It seemed like the pot hole probably caused the front wheel to jerk to the side and chaos ensued. I think the craziest part is that the chassis sorted itself out somehow and I didn't crash.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
Adamm0621

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »

Tank slappers and tornadoes... they come out of nowhere and just make the beast with two backs shit up.  I hope I never have one, and I'm definitely considering purchasing a steering damper as an upcoming mod.  It won't always prevent one, but it doesn't hurt to have it.

2010 Monster 696 Dark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: