Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 08:59:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IPhone and Battery Mods etc!!  (Read 3158 times)
NekkedChic
Naked Bikes-u dirty boyz!

« on: August 22, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »

Yes, I am one of "those people" and been searching for better ideas for mounting and using my IPhone on my 696.  I started off with industrial-strength velcro on tank for "mounting" for time being and left it at that, until today. 

Good friend and brilliant with things like this came over to finally get me "hooked up" today!   We are still working out a good mount for the "bar clamp" and using the velcro system still in meantime (which works REALLY well btw), but he did manage to run wires from my battery, under the seat and out for me to easily plug into IPhone now. While there, he managed to leave me the wire so I can detach the IPhone wire and plug in a battery tender as needed MUCH more easily now than I previously had to do, having to remove tank skins, gas tank and gazillion bolts just to get to battery before!   

I took some pics, wished I got more/better ones, but will post what I have and will update thread when we work out bugs and get the bar mount for IPhone finished next as well. 

After removing the "skins" and center piece (thanks very much for the Tech posts in here), we removed bolts holding gas tank-there were only 2 btw, missing the left side as mentioned could be expected.

Ducatista Barista
NekkedChic

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »

The bolts are located on right or left sides

and one up underneath the back part of the tank piece

We removed breathers to give more wiggle room to set tank to side and rest on subframe.

Warning-as has been mentioned:   Gromets and spacers fall off  Roll Eyes

Ducatista Barista
NekkedChic

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »

We finally got to the battery GEESH!!    Grin

Jeff attached the new wire with cigarette lighter plug (sorry, cannot think of proper name lol)  where he then plugged the IPhone line into as well

I need to get better pics in morning now of it all tucked under seat-evidentally pics came out IZ_ ugg. But here is finished product

We also swapped the black coiled line for a white straight one for trial and I will post pix of it tomorrow as well.

Now to get started on a proper mount  chug

Ducatista Barista
EEL

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »

Great!

Now figure out a way to use the built in accelerometer to track your bikes lean angle on rides! Grin
NekkedChic

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »

Great!

Now figure out a way to use the built in accelerometer to track your bikes lean angle on rides! Grin

My sidestand seems to be keeping a pretty good log on my lean angle  bang head 

but, yeah, wouldn't that be kewl too?  I really hope to find an app that will log and keep track of our rides/routes  [moto]

Ducatista Barista
NekkedChic

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »

doing our usual Sunday ride in about an hour and get to test it out.  Only wished we got the new mount sorted also. Location now is tuff-NO I do not look at phone while riding btw-but when pulled off, quite a bend in neck to look down at Maps/music etc, altho it has held very very well and is protected from winds/debris tucked behind tank as is.

Gonna be nice tho to run Trapster, Music etc without phone dying now tho! And really nice to now have EZ access plug for future battery tender use  waytogo

Sorry for the poor progression pix tho.  Will get the better pix today of how all tucked under seat. thanks.

Ducatista Barista
Dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:01:56 AM »

That's awesome.  I might need to try something like this out.

As an aside, I want that guy's shirt.
gearhead

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:16 AM »

I have been riding with my iPod for years and personally nothing is as good as mounting it in your jacket and having the wire run up inside your jacket. I can't stand being tethered to the bike and forgetting about disconecting the plug when you want to get off the bike. Why not simply get a remote unit made by "Monster" to remotely control it like I do? What are you supposed to do with that wire when you aren't using the iPod? If you can afford it check out a pair of Shure 310's out as they completely block wind noise and bike noise so you can set the volume at a decent level and avoid going deaf after an hour or so.
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3714
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:22:27 AM by gearhead » Logged
erkishhorde

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:53:31 AM »

How'd the cord going up the tank work out? I sit pretty close to the tank and a cord that big would bother me.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
NekkedChic

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:43 AM »

GearHead-I am talking about an IPhone here-I used to do same as you with my lil IPod for just music, but the IPod is my GPS, also Trapster that shows/warns where all the cops are hiding AND in order to use the IPhone (change the song you don;t wanna hear etc), you have press a home button, then slider on the screen and bunch of BS else SOOOOOOO with it in view and plugged into continuous charge, the display STAYS ON so no screwing about, and I can easily GLANCE at it for whatever purpose it is serving at the time.
DISCLAIMER: NO, I do NOT text, talk on phone or stare at screen while riding EVER!  I have become accustomed enuff to it that I do not have to look at it to do most things-BUT for GPS/maps etc, and once I finish the bar clamp mount-this entire set up with be ideal. 

When not plugged into IPhone, the wire simply hangs a little bit down side of seat/tank OR I can easily tuck it back under seat. Simple. 

Also, Erkish: I do not even notice that cord at all-but just realizing I have not update pix and we DID swap cords btw....no longer the black coiled one, now using thin, regular IPhone charger line and I have not felt it nor been bothered by it at all!  I need to post new pix and updates. 

Ducatista Barista
gearhead

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »

Sorry, I didn't see the part about an iPhone but I also use an iPod touch and the remote I showed works with it and the iPhone so you never have to look at the screen to change tracks or turn off or adjust the volume. I also installed a real GPS on my bike handlebar using a RAM mount and routed the cable out the front of the tank, up the steering head area so you never even know it's there when the GPS is off the bike.
rxmar23

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:16:16 PM »

My sidestand seems to be keeping a pretty good log on my lean angle  bang head 

but, yeah, wouldn't that be kewl too?  I really hope to find an app that will log and keep track of our rides/routes  [moto]

Cool setup.  For tracking rides, give iMapMyRide a shot.  It's made for bicycling, so I don't know if the higher speeds would throw it off, but worth a try.  The iPhone app tracks them, and then you can upload them to the full site (which asks a lot of stuff about your workout, but you can ignore most of it).

-Rob
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:14:49 AM »

taping a mapquest to your gas tank+headphones with built in remote > this.

but great DIY on how to do it!
RUFKM
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 06:01:42 AM »

Great!

Now figure out how to use the iBoobs application to track your bikes lean angle, and hopefully a few potholes on the way!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: