Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 03:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buell 1125R  (Read 1794 times)
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »

i think looks are important, that's why there's so many manufacturers and models out there. apparently lots of people like the way sazooks look, but i'd be more of a honda guy personally if i was getting a generic japanese bike.

My wife is about to learn to ride, and she really likes the look of old triumphs. and bsa's. but some bikes are no goes, even if they are technically 'cooler' but it has some aesthetic flaw in her opinion. Kinda the way she loves the 696, in every way, but the headlight is a complete deal breaker.

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:55 AM »

i think looks are important, that's why there's so many manufacturers and models out there. apparently lots of people like the way sazooks look, but i'd be more of a honda guy personally if i was getting a generic japanese bike.

So true.  I have no reason to think Hondas are better than any of the other Far East bikes, but I LIKE Hondas, mostly because of the looks.

I don't really care for most Kawasakis, Yamahas, or Suzukis because of the styling.  (Well, I do kinda like the looks of the R1.)  It's not really a substantive complaint, but if one is buying a bike, one will buy a bike he likes to see.

Having said that though, I should relate a story:

Around 1985 I was building my Pan/Shovel stroker HD from scratch and needed cash.  I sold my 1980 Superglide.  The plan was to use the cash to finish the project, but also to use a bit of the cash to buy a beater Beemer to ride around till the project was finished.  The idea was to sell the UGLY 1977 R100/7 as soon as the HD was complete.

One night I was riding home on the Interstate on the Beemer.  At this point I had probably put about 200 miles on the thing.  Cruising around 70 mph I looked down at the tank, saw the heads sticking out on boths sides of the bike, and thought, "This old cluncker is simply solid as hell.  I love this bike!"

After that, every time I looked at it I saw beauty on two wheels.  Beauty may or not be in the beholder, but it obviously is NOT in his eye.

(Most new Beemers strike me as simply (_!_) ugly though.)

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: