Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:10:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back end getting squirrely when shifting on hard acceleration  (Read 4187 times)
WhiteStripe

Monster Addiction

« on: August 28, 2009, 05:21:37 AM »

Wondering if this is a common flaw of a less experienced rider?

When i have the opportunity to accelerate quickly, say merging onto a highway from 35 mph to 90 mph i have noticed that some of my shifts create a bit of a feeling of instability in the back end.  almost like the bike tire wobbles for a split second.

Wondering if i am changing my position on bike, or not shifting correctly creating some drag on back wheel?

Figured i woudl throw it out there to see if this is a common mistake from a newer rider.

2006 S2R 1000, Arrow CF exhaust, FatDuc 02, CF open cc with stock pp
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »

New tires?
I notice with new tires that the triangular profile require a little more care on my part to keep my ass steady and not flop around so much on the bike.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:39:41 AM »

To rule out the rider as the cause. Focus on making your quick shifts with as little input to the bars as possible. Slight inputs there "translate' to the whole/rear of the bike. Hold the grips like a couple of Twinkies! Your movements can be fast but they MUST be smooth and gentle...  waytogo

Or it could be you are putting down the max power for the tire and/or road conditions... YMMV

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Dietrich

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »

At my first track day they make first timers stay in the beginner group and also attend "class" in between sessions.  After the second session we all went back to the little trailer class and sat down for some Q&A.  Some guy on a rented 1000cc japanese sport bike, in rented leathers, raised his hand: "It seems like the back end is sliding around when I accelerate out of corners?"  Of course it was!  Shocked  New rider on a liter bike, ham fisted, and cracking the throttle equals wheels spin, and this guy had no idea....it was scary being on track with him and I stayed as far away as possible!

I'm not saying you are this way at all....just that you might be getting some wheel spin (or skid) if the revs aren't matched for road speed when you let out the clutch.  Also agree with the previous post about unintentional control inputs.  Practice accelerating smooth and relaxed...and fast as possible...  waytogo

When in doubt, throttle out. Smiley

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:24:23 AM »

To rule out the rider as the cause. Focus on making your quick shifts with as little input to the bars as possible. Slight inputs there "translate' to the whole/rear of the bike. Hold the grips like a couple of Twinkies! Your movements can be fast but they MUST be smooth and gentle...  waytogo

Or it could be you are putting down the max power for the tire and/or road conditions... YMMV
+1

I suspect you're feeling input to the handle bars.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »

are you shifting with or without your clutch?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
WhiteStripe

Monster Addiction

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »

Thanks guys - this is defintlly a rider error not bike. 

I do generally use the cluctch, but have been working at getting smoother and using less clutch.

I agree that it is probably handle bar input - i think i am getting a little 'overexcited' and moving around too much - working on keeping my body quieter on the bike.

Thanks for the thoughts!

2006 S2R 1000, Arrow CF exhaust, FatDuc 02, CF open cc with stock pp
Latinbalar

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »

Also motorcycles tend to move around on you, if you ask anybody who does track days they will tell you it move alot underneath you.  During spirited rides or hard acceleration put most of your weight on your feet and let the bike do what it has to do under you.  It has a tendency to keep you going in the right direction.

I live vicariously thru myself......
swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »

I agree that it is probably handle bar input - i think i am getting a little 'overexcited' and moving around too much - working on keeping my body quieter on the bike.
Keeping your body quieter will happen if you focus on relaxing. It's especially important to relax your grip on the bars. The death grip that lots of riders have early on could be causing a lot of your trouble.

Respeta mi autoridad!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: