Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 11:20:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 398987 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #915 on: April 10, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »

Touchup frame paint for my '01 750 M.  Metalized grey 291.601, is there a something available in a small container?
Thanks, Sterling

Color Rite 7580 Ducati Gray Metallic
scaudill

« Reply #916 on: April 10, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »

Thanks Howie,  Placed my order.
Sterling
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #917 on: April 10, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »

Not that I'm aware of.
Colorrite would be the best bet, but they don't list that color.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #918 on: April 12, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Thanks for the tips, they say 2 medium wet coats, 15 to 25 minutes apart. my only concern is that the coating does not attack the decals.

OK, DP, i did the deed on my alloy tank with a foam roller. Rather than applying a light first coat, the roller held a lot of the finish and I ended up trying to roll out the drips and ended up with a healthy dose of orange peel! The finish cured really well, and the cleaner/primer did its job.
 Now I need smooth it out a bit. I have some wet or dry paper from the auto shop, I'm sanding out a drip with 1500, and I have up to 2000.
 Even with the weird texture it is looking pretty good! The tank decals survived nicely!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #919 on: April 12, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »

OK, DP, i did the deed on my alloy tank with a foam roller. Rather than applying a light first coat, the roller held a lot of the finish and I ended up trying to roll out the drips and ended up with a healthy dose of orange peel! The finish cured really well, and the cleaner/primer did its job.
 Now I need smooth it out a bit. I have some wet or dry paper from the auto shop, I'm sanding out a drip with 1500, and I have up to 2000.
 Even with the weird texture it is looking pretty good! The tank decals survived nicely!
3M compound and a wool pad after the 2K grit.

Finish with a foam pad and a hand glaze.

You're kind of in uncharted territory. I've never sanded and buffed that stuff.

You could sand out the defects and try a single coat. Just 'unload' the roller on a different surface.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #920 on: April 12, 2015, 04:21:36 PM »

Thanks for all of your advice, DP!  The Glisten PC from Por15 is the cats pajamas!
The polishing compound that I now have is some ancient Turtlewax Polishing compound and it is giving a soft satin finish, I need to just work it a bit, I think. As the tank is hand made and not exactaly perfect, I'm not going for a mirror finish, at least not yet!
 All in all I'm having fun with this!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:26:12 PM by SpikeC » Logged

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Nibor

insanity far outweighs horsepower

« Reply #921 on: December 12, 2015, 03:39:32 AM »

Threw some VHT caliper paint at a few parts today. Followed the instructions on the can, multiple coats, 10min or so apart, then let it sit for a couple of hours before throwing it in the oven at 100*c for 1 hour.

Had some foil lining the oven trays to keep the marriage safe, but the paint has stuck to the foil at contact points. Did this happen because I baked too soon, needs to dry/cure longer before baking? No time was listed for resting before cooking.

Peel the foil off, some parts separated ok, other bits the paint stuck/came off. Will have to strip/prep/repaint, but I'd rather get it right this time.

Any tips?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #922 on: December 12, 2015, 04:16:09 AM »

You need to eliminate the contact points.

perspective

Nibor

insanity far outweighs horsepower

« Reply #923 on: December 14, 2015, 01:03:38 AM »

You need to eliminate the contact points.

Challenge accepted.

Thanks mate!
Langanobob

« Reply #924 on: March 24, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »

I have an old steel Triumph tank that I sealed with Kreem a long time ago, before POR 15, Caswells and other stuff were invented.  The Kreem has been coming loose and the tank is oozing fuel all over again.  Just wondering what the best method might be for removing the old Kreem?  If possible I'd like to save what I can of the exterior paint but it's not a requirement.  I've thought about pouring epoxy remover in the tank and letting it set for awhile, then rinsing it with some prohibited chemical and rattling some rocks and nuts and bolts around inside for awhile.  I'm hoping there's a better way but I'm guessing there probably isn't.

Thanks,

Bob
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #925 on: March 25, 2016, 06:36:44 AM »

Nibor, get some wire put the rack on the highest position and hang the calipers using the screw holes to pass wire . . . put either foil or foil covered tray on bottom . .  contact points will be minimal and to retouch, a quick spray to said area and done . . .

Now, back to our regurarly scheduled programming

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Langanobob

« Reply #926 on: March 25, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »

Also, I've baked a few paint jobs and never had trouble with sticking.  Maybe try letting it cure longer before putting the heat to it.  I  did some unscientific tests awhile back and baking really improved the paint durability and scratch resistance (rattle can paint, I never tried baking real paint).
NAKID

« Reply #927 on: March 25, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »

You could also try a heat gun to help the curing process before moving it into the oven.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #928 on: March 26, 2016, 04:59:44 AM »

I have an old steel Triumph tank that I sealed with Kreem a long time ago, before POR 15, Caswells and other stuff were invented.  The Kreem has been coming loose and the tank is oozing fuel all over again.  Just wondering what the best method might be for removing the old Kreem?  If possible I'd like to save what I can of the exterior paint but it's not a requirement.  I've thought about pouring epoxy remover in the tank and letting it set for awhile, then rinsing it with some prohibited chemical and rattling some rocks and nuts and bolts around inside for awhile.  I'm hoping there's a better way but I'm guessing there probably isn't.

Thanks,

Bob
MEK will dissolve it.

It takes a lot of soaking and then flushing with fresh solvent. The MEK will destroy most materials you might use to seal things up.

I did a few and then stopped doing them. There isn't enough money to convince me to do another.

perspective

Langanobob

« Reply #929 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:14 PM »

Thanks DP. I'll let you know how it turns out. 
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: