Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 09:25:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 395287 times)
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »

I used to use S-W primer and clear and I used a little bit of the Dimension color.

I don't use them any longer for a reason. The clear stayed soft too long for moto tanks and the primer shrunk.

I can make specific product recommendations for PPG and HOK.

Cool,
Let me have it Smiley
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »

Cool,
Let me have it Smiley
I would use HOK KS 10 for a sealer and PPG DCU 2060 flat clear. The only downside of using different brands is you need to buy two different activators. PPG does have a urethane sealer, but I don't use it. If you want I can get the product # for the ppg sealer. HOK doesn't sell a flat clear per se. They offer a flattening agent for their clear. If you use one manufacturer you would save some money as activators are expensive. I use HOK reducers.

You can use any dark black metallic or straight black for color...the metallic kind of disappears under the flat clear.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »

Hopefully this will be the last time I'll bug you...
How much shoud I expect to pay for a professional to paint my tank.

Thanks again
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »

Hopefully this will be the last time I'll bug you...
How much shoud I expect to pay for a professional to paint my tank.

Thanks again
11ty billion dollars.  Grin

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »

11ty billion dollars.  Grin

Very funny 
I can get everything from work except the color sealer, paint (well reducer and accelerator) and clear
for $80. Just wanted to see what I would be saving by doing it by myself.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »

Very funny 
I can get everything from work except the color sealer, paint (well reducer and accelerator) and clear
for $80. Just wanted to see what I would be saving by doing it by myself.
Grin

It's really hard to say.

If he has materials in house it might be reasonable...

you'd have to ask around in your area.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for if you're lucky.

The advantage the pro would have is a dust controlled environment, which is essential on a matte finish.

perspective

red baron

« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2009, 09:23:46 PM »

I use HOK reducers.

RU300?

laughingdp

Ever thought about leaving the KS? Wink

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
SaltLick
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »

ducpainter im having my tank painted but i have to do the prep work.  Aftermarket paint job on there still and one place where they pulled a dent out and its bondoed there. Is there a thread out here, or can you give me basic instructions on how to prep the tank for this? Tools i have are an electric sander. Old bondo has to come off, its thick in some spots.  What grit will get bondo off? Do i just sand the hell out of the whole tank till all the bondo is off, then primer it a few times with wetsanding in between primer coats?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »

ducpainter im having my tank painted but i have to do the prep work.  Aftermarket paint job on there still and one place where they pulled a dent out and its bondoed there. Is there a thread out here, or can you give me basic instructions on how to prep the tank for this? Tools i have are an electric sander. Old bondo has to come off, its thick in some spots.  What grit will get bondo off? Do i just sand the hell out of the whole tank till all the bondo is off, then primer it a few times with wetsanding in between primer coats?
What's your plan for replacing the filler?

It's there for a reason....like primer won't fill the damage.

How come your painter isn't doing the whole job?

perspective

Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »

I found out that one of our stores carries HOK and the salesman knows  a painter that specializes in motorcycles.
Any recommendations for what matte blacks/clears to use for a plastic tank/seat cowl?
If I wanted to do a mad max scheme, how would I go about getting brackets, radiator, oil cooler etc. black.
I hear that anodizing things black eventually makes them start turning purple.
red baron

« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »

I found out that one of our stores carries HOK and the salesman knows  a painter that specializes in motorcycles.
Any recommendations for what matte blacks/clears to use for a plastic tank/seat cowl?
If I wanted to do a mad max scheme, how would I go about getting brackets, radiator, oil cooler etc. black.
I hear that anodizing things black eventually makes them start turning purple.

Sand all the parts you want flat black with 80-120 grit. Apply an epoxy primer, allow it to cure a few days. Sand it with P400 (preferably with water) and apply the HOK KS12 after a few minutes apply a second coat of the KS12. Allow 24 hours to cure and re-install parts you're done.

As for the bodywork use the same process. If it's already painted skip the epoxy primer part.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
fulltilt

« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »

Hi,  I have a couple of used carbon fiber parts that have yellowed and clouded from UV, or whatever.  They have minimal epoxy layup.  What is the best technique/process and materials to 1) remove as much of the the degraded material (if its even possible), 2) prep, and 3) paint/clear coat.  I have a gun and compressor/dryer big enough to do fenders, etc.  Thx
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »

Hi,  I have a couple of used carbon fiber parts that have yellowed and clouded from UV, or whatever.  They have minimal epoxy layup.  What is the best technique/process and materials to 1) remove as much of the the degraded material (if its even possible), 2) prep, and 3) paint/clear coat.  I have a gun and compressor/dryer big enough to do fenders, etc.  Thx

Wash it, sand it with 220, prime the living shit out of it, and sand with 400 after all the holes are filled. Seal and paint.

You can use polyester putty to fill the stubborn pinholes and re-prime.

perspective

jimh

« Reply #178 on: February 04, 2009, 11:35:54 AM »

OK, here's a new question: I have a '99 750 Monster in Yellow. I have adapted the small fairing from an S2R to it, the fairing is also yellow, but they aren't the same yellow, by any stretch. the bike is bright, deep yellow, and the fairing is more of a creamy yellow. But color-rite only lists one yellow for all the Monsters and Superports from '99 through '08. Are they wrong? or has the paint color drifted over time that much?

I want to have the bike repainted in a tri-colore scheme, but that is budget-limited, i was thinking a rattle-can of
color-rite yellow would make the fairing less of an eyesore. based on my quick research, i have no idea whether or not that will do what i want.

any suggestions?

jimh (duvall, wa)
1999 yellow M750: DP carbon high pipes, FCR 39's, dyna coils, cut airbox, K&N filter, later-style bikini fairing with
mis-matched yellow.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »

OK, here's a new question: I have a '99 750 Monster in Yellow. I have adapted the small fairing from an S2R to it, the fairing is also yellow, but they aren't the same yellow, by any stretch. the bike is bright, deep yellow, and the fairing is more of a creamy yellow. But color-rite only lists one yellow for all the Monsters and Superports from '99 through '08. Are they wrong? or has the paint color drifted over time that much?

I want to have the bike repainted in a tri-colore scheme, but that is budget-limited, i was thinking a rattle-can of
color-rite yellow would make the fairing less of an eyesore. based on my quick research, i have no idea whether or not that will do what i want.

any suggestions?
My experience is that there is no one yellow or one red. The darks are all different also.

Ducati does not paint their own stuff. It is painted by whatever company builds the part, or their sub-contractor.

That opens the color to variances due to brand of paint, process (do they paint over white or gray...was it a good mix), and technique...did Guido put all three coats on or was he a little buzzed after lunch.

I don't think the color-rite stuff will necessarily match either part.

Save your money and get the bike painted when you can afford it.

perspective

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: