Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 07:21:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 398896 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #540 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »

Lars,

I've had every possible problem with decals, and I don't think shrinkage was one of them. Perhaps the translation leaves something to be desired. Decals suck...I usually make masks and spray the stuff I can. Wink

Sorry, probably not normally an issue - I stretched my wet-applied stripes a little to form them over an edge. When they dried, they lost some of their width. Since the clear was already on (too soon?), the clear wrinkled a little.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
wingnut

« Reply #541 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:08 AM »

Thanks for the help gentlemen!  Now for the hard part...actually doing it rather than just talking about it.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »

dp,

can I empty my tank, even though we "officially" have ethanol in our fuel and apply this "Caswell Coatings gas tank epoxy" to my tank?

I'm thiniking of puchasing another tank to have a spare and also maybe purchase one from CaCycleworks, even though, I'm not too much into how it looks ... but, 4.3gls is better than 2.5gls ...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2011, 06:48:31 AM »

dp,

can I empty my tank, even though we "officially" have ethanol in our fuel and apply this "Caswell Coatings gas tank epoxy" to my tank?

I'm thiniking of puchasing another tank to have a spare and also maybe purchase one from CaCycleworks, even though, I'm not too much into how it looks ... but, 4.3gls is better than 2.5gls ...
You'd need to clean the inside and let it shrink back to normal size.

More info here... http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=46057.0

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2011, 06:49:50 AM »

You'd need to clean the inside and let it shrink back to normal size.

More info here... http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=46057.0

thanks ... will do after i get replacement/spare tank worked ...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #545 on: March 11, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »

A buddy of mine has been rebuilding a Honda CBR that was wrecked by the previous owner.  The previous owner also had a horrible color sense.  The bike was painted this purple brown color.   vomit

Anyhoo.. he has asked me to paint the bike "Honda Red."  My local paint shop can help me mix up a nice red, but with nothing to match it to, they are doing the same thing I am ... guessing.  Colorrite sells a "Honda winning red" and I was thinking of giving it a go.  Anyone have any experience spraying this other than touch up pens and aerosol cans?

I was thinking of spraying this over a PPG epoxy primer I have left over from the last bike.  And I haven't decided to play it safe and buy the Colorrite Clear or stick with some thing more familiar.  Although at $80 for a 1/2 pint its an expensive experiment.  (its a base and a top coat)

I know its not Ducati related, but my posts on the VFR forum I am a member of, haven't bared fruit.  I guess not every motorcycle forum has a resident painter as a moderator.

What would you do? 

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #546 on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:29 AM »

I wouldn't buy the colorrite stuff for the simple reason it's too expensive. It will work fine over the DPLF primer.

Why not go to your PPG store and ask them to mix you the Honda color in their Nexxa line?

If you're in Cali all bets are off because they've gone to water borne only.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #547 on: March 12, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »

Yup..  I'm in Cali.  No matter what I try its going to be new and exciting.  Have you tried anything in the Envirobase  line?  I'm terrified of it.  Everything I read says that airflow is key because the paint doesn't flash as quickly. 

I built my booth in my garage.  So It seems I need to add another box fan or two and a bunch of filters.    laughingdp

This Nexxa line you speak of.  Did PPG turn it into the Nexa Autocolor/Aquabase line?  I can't find any recent documentation, but it would appear that I could still buy that. 

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #548 on: March 12, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »

Yup..  I'm in Cali.  No matter what I try its going to be new and exciting.  Have you tried anything in the Envirobase  line?  I'm terrified of it.  Everything I read says that airflow is key because the paint doesn't flash as quickly. 

I built my booth in my garage.  So It seems I need to add another box fan or two and a bunch of filters.    laughingdp

This Nexxa line you speak of.  Did PPG turn it into the Nexa Autocolor/Aquabase line?  I can't find any recent documentation, but it would appear that I could still buy that. 
That's it...sorry...I'm in NH and still can buy solvent based materials so I do. Don't be scared...ask your paint guy for a P (tech) sheet and follow the directions. It isn't rocket science.

Airflow is key in getting the waterborne to dry. I have no experience with how much exactly, but a box fan in the window isn't going to do it in the times quoted in the tech sheets according to the PPG guys I've spoken to. Just give it adequate time to flash if you have less than ideal airflow or it's really humid.

perspective

jc.cyberdemon

« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2011, 06:31:42 AM »

have you used waterborne yet? I havent tried it but we are thinking about switching over from dupont to a good waterborne system... anything to get away from chromabase right?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #550 on: March 14, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »

have you used waterborne yet? I havent tried it but we are thinking about switching over from dupont to a good waterborne system... anything to get away from chromabase right?
I haven't. The PPG guys and my buddy red baron have told me not to be afraid.

I'm just stubborn.

You know how I feel about that stuff.

perspective

jc.cyberdemon

« Reply #551 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »

if i were you i wouldnt change a thing...all your work ends up great! we are hoping for faster production times.
Bradley81

« Reply #552 on: May 14, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »

Hi, I'm a new member in the process of fixing my downed S2R 800. I'm having an incredible amount of difficulty tracking down the paint code for the Tangerine Red color of my tank. The code in the owners manual was a dead end and ColorRite was clueless. i called two of my local dealers and one in California...nothing. bang head After reading some old posts on this forum I noticed you had been a big help to some other members and hoped you could help me too.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #553 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »

Hi, I'm a new member in the process of fixing my downed S2R 800. I'm having an incredible amount of difficulty tracking down the paint code for the Tangerine Red color of my tank. The code in the owners manual was a dead end and ColorRite was clueless. i called two of my local dealers and one in California...nothing. bang head After reading some old posts on this forum I noticed you had been a big help to some other members and hoped you could help me too.
Welcome.

That color is available from Nexa-Autocolor which is a subsidiary of PPG. The formula # is 4wenb. It is a good match.

Unfortunately it is a solvent based paint which is unavailable in Cali, I think. Maybe your PPG supplier can use that number to come up with a waterborne alternative.

Good luck

perspective

Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #554 on: May 14, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »

I've actually been quite surprised what I can still buy in cali.  While all the true PPG lines have gone waterborne, the Omni, and I believe the Nexa lines are just a little more low VOC then they used to be.  Also House of Kolor has a full range of low VOC that is still legal to purchase. 

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: