Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:53:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: single to dual front brake discs  (Read 2941 times)
Hank

« on: May 23, 2008, 01:24:11 AM »

Has anybody done this?  I have a '00 750 dark and would like a bit more stopping power.
I'm guessing all I need is another rotor, caliper, and new lines for the dual brake setup plus associated hardware and pads.
Any help would be appreciated, and if you know what kind of money it would cost, that would help too.

'00 Monster 750 Dark
Current mods: K&N and removal of the intake silencers,  AFAM 14 tooth front sprocket.  Termignoni high mounts <---Best mod yet!, Evoluzione slave cylinder,
NEW: removed dinky plastic covers and emissions canister for moar n00dity!
"I like my women the way I like my roads; with plenty of curves!"
desmobloke

750ie Dark

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:01:49 AM »

It should just be matter of removing the plastic cover on the unused caliper bracket and bolting new parts on. In other words-  in the single rotor setup, one disk, one caliper and the associated lines are left off. I'm not sure if the master cylinder is the same (different volume) but it should be easy to check by comparing the parts lists.
I replaced the damaged forks on my 750, twin disk, with those from a 620, single disk,- it was a straight swop and the 620 wheel had bolt holes for a disc. Good luck Smiley

Ahh! Summer changes everything. BARMAN!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »

You will need a 16 mm master to replace the 13 mm you now have.  The 13 will work, but you will have really long travel and they will be too sensitive.
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »

Unless you want to stoppie all of the time, or are going to ride on a track several times a year, dual disc really isn't going to be that much of an advantage. I did a lot of research on TOB and the general consensus was to get a better than factory rotor and good pads, it's about the same amount of money and you'll end up saving a few pounds off of the front end by not adding the extra rotor/caliper/line. From the way I understood it, the dual disc helped at trackdays with the heat generated during braking. Better pads will stop you better too, that's my next upgrade.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »

Unless you want to stoppie all of the time, or are going to ride on a track several times a year, dual disc really isn't going to be that much of an advantage. I did a lot of research on TOB and the general consensus was to get a better than factory rotor and good pads, it's about the same amount of money and you'll end up saving a few pounds off of the front end by not adding the extra rotor/caliper/line. From the way I understood it, the dual disc helped at trackdays with the heat generated during braking. Better pads will stop you better too, that's my next upgrade.

True.
Hank

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »

Any recommendations?

'00 Monster 750 Dark
Current mods: K&N and removal of the intake silencers,  AFAM 14 tooth front sprocket.  Termignoni high mounts <---Best mod yet!, Evoluzione slave cylinder,
NEW: removed dinky plastic covers and emissions canister for moar n00dity!
"I like my women the way I like my roads; with plenty of curves!"
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 06:20:45 AM »

Any recommendations?

The single disc 750 Monster is still amongst the top ten for shortest stopping distance in "Motorcycle Consumer  News".  If your stopping distance is poor there is a brake or tire problem with your bike that needs to be resolved.  If you simply want to reduce effort at the lever or change feel first try different pads that are more aggressive, if not enough, go for iron rotors. 
ephophex

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »

Any recommendations?

I also thought about moving to a dual rotor setup on my 00 M750; but, after some pretty extensive reading on TOB (much like Grubby), I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't necessary for me, at least.  Rather, I opted to upgrade to a BrakeTech Axis ductile iron rotor and Ferodo Platinum pads.  Chris at CA Cycleworks (a longtime Monster List supporter and generally helpful guy) can hook you up.

Having spent a couple of days indulging in some light hooliganism and heavy braking, I can say the new goodies really make with the whoah! when you squeeze the lever.  In addition to the stronger bite (it no longer feels like I'm clamping two pats of butter down around a spinning dinner plate), the feel is markedly better, making them easier to modulate .  Okay, a little hyperbole there, regarding the butter thing, 'cause the original setup was already pretty good; but, you get the point.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:58:31 PM by ephophex » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: