Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:58:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake lever position, it's all in the details  (Read 2759 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:58 AM »

During today's track day I noticed that using my second and third fingers (correct names?) works best for me, control- and powerwise, YMMV. On the other hand ( Cheesy) fingers 3 and 4 does a better job at the lever.

I looked at what was going on and noticed that my second finger (index?) grab the lever too close to the pivot - on the lever part which is angled different than the bars/grips. So, the two working fingers are connecting at different angled parts of the lever and are pushed against each other - it made me feel in less than good control and I didn't achieve the power I wanted at the lever.

The solution I'm going to try out: move the whole brake assembly ~10mm inwards. That should allow fingers 2 and 3 to grab the lever at the lever part which is probably meant to be worked.

Maybe pictures will illustrate what I'm talking about.... If you're bored I totally understand, but some of you will hopefully totally understand the importance of the details. After all we love the details, don't we ... Roll Eyes

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Dietrich

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »

For even more clarity and detail:

(At first I was confused bacause I wasn't thinking of your thumb as finger #1.  laughingdp)

I'm with you - Ergonomics make all the difference in comfort and control.

Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »

I recently started using the 3rd & 4th fingers on the brake, allowing me to keep my index finger wrapped around the throttle.  Seems to help with throttle control when I'm applying the brakes while still in the process of rolling off the throttle.

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: