Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 02:21:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helmets - A little help?  (Read 2030 times)
Ideapimp

« on: May 23, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

Ok, I'm looking for some opinions here. And from what I've seen so far, we're not lacking in that department on this board.

I went to Moto Liberty and Pete was very helpful walking me through all the helmets they had. Shape, fit, etc. I'm between three brands and would happily wear any of these as they all felt pretty darn good on my melon. They are:

Shark RSI
Scorpion 700 series
Suomy Vandal

The Icons too, but those seemed...."excessive" maybe is the word I'm looking for?

So, paint aside, does anyone have any gripes or good things to say about any of these?
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »

I have a Suomy (not sure which model though), it's still got a great snug fit even as the cheek pads are break in. 

With summer coming barreling its way in, venting may make the difference.

Sorry, I'm not too much help with your choices.  My head must be in the cantaloupe section.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

The Icons too, but those seemed...."excessive" maybe is the word I'm looking for?

dude, don't you know that you need RAM air and a huge wing on your helmet??  it adds crazy down-force on the straights.

but seriously...my first helmet was icon...and no complaints really, though i never tested it out.  the scorpion EXO 400 i was able to test out, and that thing was worth every $129 i paid for it after face-planting in a gravel-laden corner.  the shield still operated just fine and i just had a little red mark on my forehead.  IMO as long as it fits properly, and it's DOT or snell approved, and you're actually wearing it...that's the important thing.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
AndreRA3
The DFWM envoy to Belgium!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »

If I recall correctly, ICON is merely rebranded HJC ...

For what it's worth, I've had bad experiences crashing with a HJC CL-14, and wouldn't wear anything less than a Shoei, Arai, Shark or Suomy from then on.  (I've crashed a lot harder with a Shoei and my head faired much better than with the HJC).  Also, I would stay away from the "budget" offerings from any brand.  I have learned to respectfully distrust D.O.T, Snell, or CE markings as the sole guarantees of quality.  Before you buy your helmet, look under the lining.  If you see solid white styrofoam, you might want to move up to another model/brand.  The HJC CL-14 used a solid mold of styrofoam that did didily-squat to absorb the impact of my lowside.  The Shoei RF-1000 I highsided with and used to break my fall, however, left my brain as it should be.

Scorpion is well regarded, but I have zero experience with that brand.

just my 2c

André

LYD

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »

I have the scorpion 700 series and love it!!!  Moto liberty carries all the parts and it fits great!!  Rich, lisa and myself have them!!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
Dallas 1098

You've got hope. I have skill.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:09:20 PM »

I "tested" my Arai RX-7 about a week ago in a low speed low side.  Worked perfectly. I will be sending it back to Arai for a check out and i will be buying another. no question.

08' 1098 AKA "RAZZO"
WonderBoy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »

I have a Shark RSX Eagle, and a Shark RSX Flag.  I loved my first one so much that I bought a second.  I've also owned an Arai RX-7, and a Caberg Justissimo, and the Shark is by far my favorite.  The Arai RX-7 is amazing, but I personally feel that my Shark RSX is just as equally amazing, vents just as well as an Arai RX-7, and it's about $200 cheaper than the Arai is.  I don't have any experience with Scorpion.  I personally thought the RSI line for Shark was huge compared with my RSX.  Odd, I know, since it's the same company, but that's how I felt about it.

Do keep in mind that different helmet brands fit different types of heads differently because everyone's head is shaped different.  So what I love or what anyone else might recommend might not fit you the same.

High above the muckey muck...
Ideapimp

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »

Do keep in mind that different helmet brands fit different types of heads differently because everyone's head is shaped different.  So what I love or what anyone else might recommend might not fit you the same.

Agreed, that's why I suggested the three brands that DID fit me right. Just wondering if anyone had any experience between the three, really. The Arai are really nice, but I can't fit in them at all. They press against my mouth. I guess I have some kind of Alien-esque head. Smiley
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »

I'm still on the search for the perfect helmet.  I've got a Shoei, Arai, and Suomy.  Each one excels in different areas, but none are the perfect lid (factoring ventilation, longevity of cheekpads, and visor swap)  Keep trying on brain buckets  waytogo

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
never2loud
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »

Ryan,

I test-fit every helmet MotoLiberty sells three years ago when I first started riding.  The one that fit the best was a Scorpion.  I bought the 400 Series.

About two days after I had it, it fell off the kitchen table landing squarely on the rotating visor thing which came apart in three pieces; two microscopic springs and the outside piece you see.  Thought for sure it was un-repairable.

Went back to MotoLiberty and not only did they have the replacement part - one complete mechanism - they had it in stock, behind the counter.  It was 8 bucks.

Plus, visors are 30 bucks and super easy to change and very durable. 

The entire inner padding can be removed and replaced for under 30 bucks also (also a very simple thing to do).

Recently, I bought a Scorpion 700-Series helmet.  It flows air very well, just like the 400, but is much more quiet, light, and aerodynamic.

SO!!! Scorpion helmets =Good  waytogo

P.S.  Nice to meet you at AMS today.

P.S.S.  Oh and the SC1000 ROCKS  Evil
fastwin
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

Some really good feedback here. I agree that fit is super important and about staying away from the "budget line" helmets. Glad to see you are giving it some hard thought and not just buying one because of cool graphics. I am an Arai RX-7 Corsair fan. "Tested" mine a year ago and it cut a full size wild turkey gobler in half. Now, I don't know about you, but I consider that a damn good helmet! laughingdp But the helmet paid the price... it too gave it's life to save mine. Grin Then again, that's why we wear them. Helmets are expendable, you are not. I still like the ancient Bell helmet ad: Got a $5.00 head? Wear a $5.00 helmet. Again, my worthless two cents. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:02:01 PM by fastwin » Logged
WonderBoy

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »

Forgot to mention that the visor changeouts on the Arai helmets are a pregnant dog.  I recommend the Shark, and again dunno how the visor system works on the scorpions, but with the rsx/rsi models you just push on a couple buttons and it pops right off.  Not to mention Shark follows the 3mm thick visor spec that Formula 1 uses.  If you take a peek you'll see what I mean...compare a scorpion or arai shield with a shark shield...super thick, and I think that your visual clarity is actually better with the shark vs. the other two.

High above the muckey muck...
calscrazy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »

along with rich,alan and lisa. john, terry and i wear scorpion 700 series. i know john was wearing when he was rear ended and he came out good. i love mine.
has anyone told john and terry we are over here now?

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: