Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:00:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rip's BAD Ride  (Read 3042 times)
brickdogg

« on: September 20, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »

Hey Guys,

So I am only going to provide some cursory details as this is a charity ride, if there is anyone interested I will provide more info. Basically it is a big group ride for diabetes (BAD stands for Bikers Against Diabetes) on October 25th meeting at various points throughout the valley and coming together at the Pima County Fairgrounds for various contests, some live entertainment normally, and lunch.  There are also some boothes there selling some stuff. In the effort of full disclosure I will say that there are primarily Harley's on this ride. Most of the meetup spots are Harley dealers. That is why I am posting this here, I am trying to get more representation from Ducatisti out there! Post back if you want more info, I will post the details up.

Thanks.
Monster Dave

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

Thanks for posting up about the ride.  waytogo
brickdogg

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »

My pleasure Dave. Hope to see you out there if you can make it. Would rather not be the lone Duc in a group of hogs......
Monster Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »

It's always great to be a part of charity rides. However that being said, my sweetheart did a ride last year that was a charity ride with another girl and mainly a group of Harley/cruiser bikes and she told me some frightening stories about the general lack of caution that was being exercised by the group. One of the stops was out by PIR I think and she said that where they stopped was a bar and nearly everyone on the cruisers was soaking up the suds ( drink ) and that was the straw that broke the camels back and they left. Talk about unsafe.

So you may want to take that into consideration if you're going to do it. It is a for a good cause, but I'd hate to see someone get hurt on a charity ride. In all likely hood we probably won't make it.

Ride safe and have a good time.  [moto]
brickdogg

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:40:43 PM »

Just going to bump this to the top in case anyone missed it and is interested. As is my understanding (i am about to sign up and get the details right now) we will meet up at a meet up spot, big group ride in a round about way (with no stops) to the Pinal County Fairgrounds where lunch will be served.  You are on you own to get home. That should clear any fears Dave may have brought up. Again, I have not ridden in one of these yet so Dave's experience (much appreciated for the FYI, Dave) could be exactly what is bound to happen.

Let me know if you want any further details or just Google Rip's BAD Ride.

Cya Folks
Duki09

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »

One of the unfortunate parts of a charity ride is that they are dominated by Harley and cruiser riders which often prevents would-be sportbike participants from joining in.
Harley riders are also an older and mature crowd which is another reason why they would be more likely to take part in a charity ride where you may have to donate money to take part in the ride compared to the large amount of teen and 20-something sportbike riders who aren't willing to donate anything.
Even when you have events like Bike Week, etc, you will always be dwarfed by the amount of Harley riders who are more involved in events than sportbikers.

Just by our local meet events, we as sportbikers can't even agree on one day of the week to get together.  Many Harley riders get together almost every night. Probably because they don't use the "my wife won't let me go out" excuse or their wives are bikers themselves.

So if you don't want to be the only one riding a sportbike with a group of cruisers then a charity ride meeting specifically at Harley dealers may not be your thing, but if the cause of the charity is worthwhile for you to ride with them, then it may make the ride more fun.  Maybe you will even gain the respect of the Harley riders for daring to ride with them for the sake of charity.
DG

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »

OMG

"I'm really busy with something not important."
brickdogg

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:09 PM »

Duki,

The charity is that important to me. It is for diabetes which unfortunately my wife has. And your post essentially is why I figured I would try to drum up some support here. I would prefer not to be the only sporty in the group but if that happens I am fine with it. Riders are riders and if they support the same charity I do then we have three things in common from the start (the charity, two wheels, and a twin engine). So again, I am not discouraged enough to by the prospect of riding with all harleys to make me not ride, but if a Duc or three showed up I would be very excited.

For the record, I disagree about the 20 somethings not donating. And also I didn't put this out to your typical sport bikers, I put this out to Duc owners. Take that for what its worth....
Dietrich

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »

More info on this ride in case anyone is interested.  I'm not planning on going (have prior plans), and think Duki is WAY off base with the gross generalizations.  Anyway, here the info I just found as posted by someone on SouthWestRides, a sportbike rider planning on going:

http://badride.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=5990

There are 4 different meetup/registration locations. Good charity cause:

Event: Rip's B.A.D. Ride Arizona
Date: October 25, 2009
Festival Site: Festival site: Pinal County Fairgrounds, Casa Grande
For more information, call 1-888-DIABETES or Contact Us.

Event Information
Join us for our 5th Anniversary Bike Show, Bike Games, Live Concert by Mogollon, vendors and more.

brickdogg

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

Thanks Dietrich for posting up the more detailed info, I didn't want to post up too much as I was given grief the last time i said something about a charity, though to be fair it had nothing to do with motorcycling, so i suppose I deserved it. Again, hope to see some other Ducs out there!
Michael
Voted "Nicest Pants" 2009

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »

Brickdogg, I wouldn't worry about what anyone says on this forum ... or the entire internet, for that matter.

Most people aren't meant to be taken too seriously when expressing themselves online.

Monster Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »

Hope you didn't feel like I contributed to the negative side of what you were describing brickdogg. I was just giving our take on what happened the last time.

[moto]
brickdogg

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »

no worries Dave.  Although it might not come through real well in forum speak, I am a very laid back person in general, except at work.  I appreciated your feedback and hope that doesn't happen on this ride, but at least now if I see it happening I can be prepared for the warning signs and move along. 

I have been a member on these boards for a bit now so I have seen a lot of your posts, I know you just add you experience when posting something, and as a newer rider the experiences of more experienced riders is always welcomed.

What does bother me is posts that don't really seem relevant or needlessly negatively spun. Yours didn't fall into that as it was a factual experience and a warning of what I may encounter.

Thanks again, and I look forward to getting more insight from you in the future.....
Monster Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »

waytogo

Hope it's fun! Ride safe!   [moto]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: