Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 03:34:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another one to the Dark Side  (Read 2604 times)
Case S2R

« on: October 19, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »

Last night we raised another Monster's rear suspension.  Wed at Mings we will know if this will be permanant, but from initial feedback the rider was impressed.  No more wrestling an elephant into corners. 

To give some statistics from a brief internet search the new Monster has a rake of 24* and trail of 3.4" or 87mm.  The S#R Monsters have a rake of 24* but trail is 3.8" or 96mm.  That is almost 1cm difference and as we know every centimeter counts.

Case
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »

I'm not into racing bikes yet so I'm a noob at this.. so raising the bike will allow for more pitch in your saying? Guessing you'll also be able to lean further?   

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
Case S2R

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »

Although I am a big proponent for raising the rear ride height I don't claim to be an expert. 

Yes, you will be able to lean further because your pegs/chassis of the bike is higher off the ground, depending how far you raise it 3-4 inches is possible (5 threads showing is the max recommended in the owners manual).  The reason to do this is not for clearance, I have never hit a hard part cornering before or after, it makes the bike much more responsive and brings the trail in line with most modern sport bikes.  In non scientific terms the bike goes where you look, with minimal effort. 

If you are inseam challanged watch out, they get tall pretty quick.

Case
hiero

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:23:07 AM »

although in most cases (depends on the rider stats), the rear probably should be raised a bit, I always recommend paying a professional to give you a good initial setup to determine proper sag and other suspension settings before going in and messing around with things.  1 cm difference is huge at the shock collar. 
suspension setups are less than $40, so it's not expensive.  It used to be like 20 bucks, but it's been a while since I had someone else look at my suspension settings. 

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
John1454

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:31:04 AM »

although in most cases (depends on the rider stats), the rear probably should be raised a bit, I always recommend paying a professional to give you a good initial setup to determine proper sag and other suspension settings before going in and messing around with things.  1 cm difference is huge at the shock collar. 
suspension setups are less than $40, so it's not expensive.  It used to be like 20 bucks, but it's been a while since I had someone else look at my suspension settings. 

Who in town can do this? I just bought a yellow 620. I am New to motorcycling, so I do not know how the bike should handle, but I do not feel like my bike turns in like it should. I am shorter and very much like the seat height of the bike as it is now, but I would compromise a little seat height if it would help the turn in... I guess.
It looks pretty simple to raise... I just wouldn't know how much and If what changes I made were good or not.

p.s. what is Mings? Is that where you all meet?
Red5

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »

Who in town can do this? I just bought a yellow 620. I am New to motorcycling, so I do not know how the bike should handle, but I do not feel like my bike turns in like it should. I am shorter and very much like the seat height of the bike as it is now, but I would compromise a little seat height if it would help the turn in... I guess.
It looks pretty simple to raise... I just wouldn't know how much and If what changes I made were good or not.

p.s. what is Mings? Is that where you all meet?

You're in Austin, right?  I believe Roger from On Road Off Road Cycles is in Austin.
http://www.ororcycle.com/
Not sure if he actually has a shop, but he does all of the suspension work at RideSmart trackday events.  Charges $40.00 to set up your suspension at the track; compression, sag, rebound, everything.

But if you have a stock 620, the forks are nonadjustable.  So all you need to do is adjust the rear shock.  Which you can do yourself at home by having someone halfway knowledgeable to help.  You'll need the extra set of hands to calculate sag.  Check this thread out: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=982.0

I'm sure the guys who meet up at Mings won't mind giving you some helpful advice.

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
'03 CBR600RR (track bike)
syne7

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:58:49 PM »

Where would one go to get a suspension set up in Austin?  I'd like to do this with my new bike.

Thanks,

Jason
hiero

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:44:26 AM »

Red5's got a good suggestion above, and there's a couple of places close enough to Austin, I forget the names at this point though because I haven't been around for a bit. 
If you hit up Ming's Cafe off the drag during the weekly bike gathering, the folks there can give you much much better advice than I could at this point!

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
syne7

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 06:21:59 AM »

Kind of a moot point at the moment.  The thing just died on 620 on the way to work.  I will hive you my opinion of ducati roadside assistance.  Just died... Turn on the key, no lighgs, no anything.  Won't push start...

Sigh....
hiero

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 06:40:31 AM »

battery?

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
syne7

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 06:46:39 AM »

Not sure.  Cranked right up this morning without a hitch.  Totally dead now.  No lights no horn won't push start.
Red5

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »

battery?

Yeah, check the connection to the battery terminals.  Might be simply loose.

'02 Monster 750 Dark
'03 CBR954RR
'03 CBR600RR (track bike)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: