Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:30:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mod suggestions to get me through winter....  (Read 2547 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: October 23, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

The bike is being stored in my home for the winter.
Speeddog just made me realize that I won't be able to keep my hands off her.

So far I'm thinking
 - hockey taping lower fork part, like the upper part
 - paint headlight ring (unless MotoCreations can convince me to wait)
 - removing center tank pad, replacing it with protective clear film. Will the paint survive de-pad'ing?
 - polishing exhaust parts. Is it worth it? I ride in all weathers.
 - new tail light (Bernard, can you hear me?)
 - another/repositioned heel guards
 - leather gear

I see my bike every day, so it's becoming hard to determine what can/should be done.

Please consider: I overdid mods this year, $$$, I'm not at all a skilled mechanic, I have new brakes since the picture.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
DucNrun

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »

Take the mod money and ship your bike somewhere warm and ride it.  waytogo
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »

Tape the lower legs, why not!

Paint the headlight ring;scuff with sandpaper, clean, paint satin black.

Dunno how tough the padding holds on...

Polishing the exhaust, it will always look better than stock, even if it's dirty.

Different heel guard will get you away from the header wrap.

Leather gear? Absolutely.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
danaid

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »

CF front fender and belt cover. Your bike looks good, so besides something wild like a custom paint job or BST's, I think your done.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »

If your serious about that tail light
http://www.vizi-tec.com/products/ducati.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page and step up

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

New gear & track days.  Bike looks awesome as it is man.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
rockaduc

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »

I don't remember if you've already done your front suspension.  If not, DO IT!!!!  Adding adjustable fork and tuning it properly to your weight will really transform the way your bike handles.
 waytogo

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 02:51:39 AM »

Take the mod money and ship your bike somewhere warm and ride it.  waytogo
The best suggestion. I wish I had the money.

CF front fender and belt cover. Your bike looks good, so besides something wild like a custom paint job or BST's, I think your done.
Total make over in 2011 maybe? More naked, red/white paint, carbon'izing, MotoCreation's new exhaust, BSTs, pods, Power Commander, 4 pads, radial MC, engine maintenance + pistons/head work. .......
Might as well start all that on a S4RS. - and there's a 1098 with my name on it somewhere...  Cool We'll see.

If your serious about that tail light

I have already made plans with Bernard, but he's busy these days - so, I'm being patient.

New gear & track days.  Bike looks awesome as it is man.
Yeah baby [moto] I'm doing some ground work to prepare a launch into a instructor/coaching/personal trainer business. 2010 may be very busy - more and more moto related, which motivates me strongly!

I don't remember if you've already done your front suspension.  If not, DO IT!!!!  Adding adjustable fork and tuning it properly to your weight will really transform the way your bike handles.
 waytogo
It's done. Not adjustable, but other than that it's working very well. Better forks would probably be even better, but my suspension guru did really great work. Not sure an upgrade will be worth it. Of course, if we were talking Öhlins with radial brakes.....

RB

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »

clean up the wiring. it's cheap and you can do a little at a time.

Use a heat gun when removing the tank pads, just get them warm so they peal nicely.

Raux
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 03:12:01 AM »

reroute oil lines. clean up wiring. remove rear side panels, upgrade wheels.

lighten lighten lighten.

how do you like the quick cam on the throttle bodies?
darkduc7

'01 m600, sold. '01 M900...sold, missed. '05 749

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »

+1 on front fender. get a sbk style carbon (or painted)...it really adds to the look of the bike, i was really suprised how good it looked on mine.

don't die...don't die...don't die....
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 05:39:28 AM »

reroute oil lines. clean up wiring. remove rear side panels, upgrade wheels.

lighten lighten lighten.

how do you like the quick cam on the throttle bodies?

The throttle cam is way up there along side the 14T for a cheap and VERY effective mod. It was very easy to get used to, it allows me to go from zero to full throttle by flicking only the wrist - previously I had to first reposition my grip and lift the elbow OR end up with an over-rotaded wrist at full throttle.

It results in a much quicker response, but the main advantage is that rider's bar input is much less dramatic.
Some have said the "quick" part would be too much, especially on more powerful bikes, but I think anyone will get used to a shorter movement. OK, it might not be the best solution for beginners, but if you feel you have somewhat control over your bike then this only makes things a lot better.

Raux
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 05:56:50 AM »

The throttle cam is way up there along side the 14T for a cheap and VERY effective mod. It was very easy to get used to, it allows me to go from zero to full throttle by flicking only the wrist - previously I had to first reposition my grip and lift the elbow OR end up with an over-rotaded wrist at full throttle.

It results in a much quicker response, but the main advantage is that rider's bar input is much less dramatic.
Some have said the "quick" part would be too much, especially on more powerful bikes, but I think anyone will get used to a shorter movement. OK, it might not be the best solution for beginners, but if you feel you have somewhat control over your bike then this only makes things a lot better.

good to know. i was planning on adding it to the bike anyway, but i wanted to make sure it was going to work with what i'm doing.
scary part is, this bike will probably spin up much faster already with the light flywheel and if i get the crank lightened and balanced.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »

I think the difference in that throttle cam and the quick turn throttles is what makes it less jumpy. That's also why G2 and evoluzione's have a modified cam profile, so its very contolled at low throttle, then it comes on fast as you turn. The Euro Racing throttle I got for my Monster, which is also available for the superbikes, isn't progressive in this way, its just more gas all over. Thus, when you hit bumps, if your hand moves a little, you feel the throttle change a lot. Just a difference in the setups. The throttle cam that sits on the throttle body is not going to behave in this negative fashion, its good all over.

Ohmic

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 06:35:22 PM »

- new tail light (Bernard, can you hear me?)
I heard you the 1st 26 times  Grin
email sent

'It's NOT a Harley... It's a Ducati!'

Bike#1: 2002 Ducati MH900e #1801
Bike#2: 2006 Ducati Monster S2R1000
Bike#3: 2006 Ducati Sport1000
Bike#4: 2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: