Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 03:21:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 Mirror Options - FOLLOW UP w/ Bar-End Mirrors  (Read 12423 times)
DucaChic

09 Monster 696

« on: October 27, 2009, 05:19:58 AM »

applause Thanks everyone who voted and/or posted comments. applause

I have been considering replacing the Stock Mirrors on my 696 which raises the question, "Which Mirrors Look Best".  I am considering several Rizoma designs and more recently the CRG Hindsight mirrors (please vote). Sizes are approximate based on available information.
Any Additional feedback from anyone with any real-life experience using any of these designs is certainly appreciated. Thanks! waytogo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:34:25 AM by DucaChic » Logged

Raux
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »

form vs function. honestly if your scales are correct... the stock will function better. but the radial nakeds are pretty cool.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

The Class Retro bar end mirrors can be mounted quite high, if that's your consern.

A few of the Rizomas aren't convex glass mirrors. If so, the view is limited by the flat glass

A few of the Rizomas are also made in a "Sport" version, which have longer stems/arms (20-30mm).

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:28:58 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »

Thanks for the input stopintime; I'll be sure to look further into convex mirror designs. As for the longer arms, good recommendation; but I am looking for a design/solution that is NOT wider than the bars.

I understand about the bar/mirror width consideration. I'm just thinking that you have wide mirrors which give a good rear view and you might get disappointed when you end up with not such a good rear view. If you want to try how it'll be like - measure the width of the stockers compared to the Rizomas, tape off the excess stock mirror surface and see how it works.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howellerman

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:08:09 PM »

Really excellent question! I too am looking at replacing the stock mirrors, and have liked the Rizoma Radials. I believe Ungehaur had them on his Monster, but with gold stems (if I recall correctly). Looked pretty good at any rate.

I find the other Rizoma mirror versions that you posted to be just too small - it would take concentration to pick up an image versus just glancing at the larger mirrors.

I also moved all my controls inboard by 1", and lopped off the difference to narrow my bars. So, given your Photoshop images it appears I may purchase a very good view of my elbows. Given that the Monster makes me into a bit of a hooligan, having a clear view to the rear is good!
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »

I use Oberons for money reasons, but I will always lust after the Radial Naked mirror...
JEFF_H

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »

I think the  crgs will give you the clearest view past your arms.
if you look at your pics you can see they are the only ones not obscured by your arms.
may also want to include the Rizoma Class Retro and Reverse Retro if you are open to bar-ends

(you are really good at photoshop btw. )
mrplease

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »

i love my rizoma retro mirrors!

oh, btw cool plate!

heres a few pics of my mirrors and how they look on the bike... now i have mine angled down quite a bit. you can raise them up a lot and improve visibility, but i can see fine with mine like this and i think it looks way better...

but if you've got it narrowed down to the ones you have above, i think the rimoza circuit mirrors looks the best out of those.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:43:07 AM by mrplease » Logged

Raux
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:35:46 AM »

mrplease,

Appreciate the photos and input.

Which Rimoza bar ends did you use with the Rizoma Retro mirrors?

Also, on a separate topic, I read in the forum about your Canister Removal and Left Side Shroud installation and would like to get more information from you (steps to remove canister, plug hoses, where you purchased shroud from). Please PM me.

there are several threads with good directions a good search helps on this one cause it's been a while. the left side shroud can be bought from motowheels.
DucaChic

09 Monster 696

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »

Raux,

Yes there are many posts. Your comments in particular on mrplease's inquiry and others were noted.

Unfortunately, Motowheels does not currently have the left euro shroud available.

Raux
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »

Raux,

Yes there are many posts. Your comments in particular on mrplease's inquiry and others were noted.

Unfortunately, Motowheels does not currently have the left euro shroud available.

uh. ok . so i took you for someone who asks without searching. sorry. you just need order the part number 484.1.069.1A from a ducati dealer.
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »

I had mrplease's setup at first. Then I had a tip-over, and it would have been $154 to replace one mirror and one bar end. I ended up getting two Oberon Streetfighters instead ($50 each for a bar-end/mirror unit). Not the best visibility, but it's something to keep in mind (if you drop the bike, you will most likely need to replace a mirror and a bar-end—even the Radials, Dynamics and Circuits will hit the ground, and you will be replacing these expensive mirrors at the same time you're paying for other damage to the bike).

If money isn't and will never be an issue, I change my vote to the Prototype Naked!
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=11291.0
DucaChic

09 Monster 696

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »

Raux,

Very helpful on the Ducati part number... much appreciated.

Called my dealer, they can get it for $19.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:24:25 AM by DucaChic » Logged

mrplease

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 12:19:31 PM »

mrplease,

Appreciate the photos and input.

Which Rimoza bar ends did you use with the Rizoma Retro mirrors?

Also, on a separate topic, I read in the forum about your Canister Removal and Left Side Shroud installation and would like to get more information from you (steps to remove canister, plug hoses, where you purchased shroud from). Please PM me.

Rizoma Bar Ends part number MA506

i got them from pj's parts...

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=178

Raux
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »

Raux,

Very helpful on the Ducati part number... much appreciated.

Called my dealer, they can get it for $19.

if you go to ducati.com and download the euro part catalog you can see how they do it without the emission canister
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: