Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:38:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had an accident with car, tell motorcycle insurance company?  (Read 6112 times)
Dana

No good deed goes unpunished.

« on: May 26, 2008, 03:27:10 PM »

Alright, so I had the weekend from hell.

I'm on the way to my school in the rain to do a charitable event on Sunday, and I rear end someone in my car.  Long story short, even thought it's not 100% my fault, my insurance rates go up the same regardless even if it was 100% my fault.

My question is: Since my motorcycle insurance is with a different company, will they know that I was in an accident (neither my car nor other person's insurance is with the motorcycle insurance company).  Do they share lists of accident names once a month or am I blacklisted?

D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:33:46 PM by Dana » Logged

2008 Hypermotard
2007 CRF-450R SM (Track Bike)
1999 Yamaha R6 (Track Bike)
mihama01

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are all ok.

I asked my friend, he said that insurance companies share details, also across Motorcycles and cars, so the motorcycle insurance company will know about the car accident.

Depending on you record with them they and terms and conditions they may increase your premium.

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
Dana

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:09:15 PM »

Hmm.  That's kind of surprising. 

Do you mind asking your friend how information gets distributed?

D

2008 Hypermotard
mihama01

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »

They have a central information sharing that members of  Hoken Gyokai (Insurance industry) subscribes too. (They do not publicise this apparently)

My friend has no direct experience of motor insurance but that is the way it works with other kinds of insurance.

Even if there is no database you will get points on your license which will show the next time you apply.

Perhaps someone else has first hand experience? maybe they can post more reliable info.

Also my experience is that often they lose you because they register your name as

1) either romanji or katakana
2) either first name/last name or last name/first name order
3) Spell mistakes in either romanji or katakana.

and don't make the connection between the different possible combinations.

That causes me endless problems with the bank!!

Maybe that is an idea...

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
Dana

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »

I do appreciate your help mihama!

I wonder since I have a military license how that works differently.  We don't get points unless it's an 'on-base' infraction (issued by the military police).  Unless it's a DUI/DWI or someone severly injured off-base is it a problem transfered on base...but watch me be the first to suffer consequences on and off base. 

Dana

2008 Hypermotard
Dana

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »

So a little follow up...

Bought a new (used) car and got insurance for it.  They give me a quote and tell me it will be $XXX.  I remind them I had an accident back in May, and they reply, "Oh, that doesn't matter because you have to start a new policy for this new vehicle." 

Ummm.  So for the military folks, if you are in danger of your rates increasing, get a new (or used) vehicle and start a new policy!

Nice!

Dana

2008 Hypermotard
slowpoke13

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:24 AM »

lol... But, you have to buy a minimum of 24 months (whether you'll be there or not). Now, you get the unused portion back when you transfer.

slowpokesan
Dana

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:30:47 AM »

Right, JCI is for 2 years (just so happened this vehicle needed JCI when I bought it) and doesn't change in price, but the premium coverage that pays for bodily injury/property damage is the policy that increases if you get into an accident.  My rates were going to double, but getting the new policy, they started me back at square one (no discount, but still cheap!).

Dana

2008 Hypermotard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: