Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:42:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best place/price for Best Chain  (Read 2768 times)
sdlrodeo

« on: May 26, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »

Ok, who's got the down low on where to buy chain? I'm looking for good stuff like DID 525zvm2. I'll support local Duc Dealers to an extent, like 10-15% over other prices, but I just can't force myself to pay double.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
fastwin
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »

I agree, but if I throw out the internet route I'll once again be in the "worthless two cents" opinion group. laughingdp Anyone had any experience with chain buys at Cycle Gear? Not sure if Moto Liberty deals in such stuff. Hey, if you need a chain $20 says you may need front and rear sprockets too. They tend to wear together.
sdlrodeo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »

$20 says you may need front and rear sprockets too. They tend to wear together.

Thanks and you are right but actually, the sprockets are already new. I've changed my gearing to 15/42. I bought a set of used sprockets,chain, and carrier on ebay for dirt cheap because the guy said it was a 45t rear. At the time, my 14/40 was pretty fun and extremely peppy so what the heck, right? Turns out it was a 42t rear which I already owned but in aluminum. I liked the idea of slightly reducing the ratio thus "lifing" the gearing while I had the bike apart waiting for some other parts, so I put on the ebay set. Seems there is tight/looseness in the chain since the tension varies when I spin the wheel. I even put on the original carrier with the new aluminum 42t rear and original 15t front sprockets. I do not believe I had chain issues before. So, a chain is the next step. Or, I might buy/borrow a dial indicator to check the run-out of the counter shaft and rear sprocket. Just don't know how to measure with the splines/teeth.

Suggestions on that?
Steve

cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »

Steve,

Alan, one of the members of this group recently did a chain swap and I heard he got a good deal on his stuff.  I recently change sprokets and chain but bought my chain from Ca.cycleworks

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/other.html

and the sprokets from Sidewinder

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/titanium_sprockets.html

Cris from Ca-cycleworks gives good advice on chain choices while sidewinder was more of a bling decision.  currently running 15/41 on the ST4S.

Finally, call a guy named Randy McCarter.  He's an independent mechanic and turning out to be the group's favorite wrench.  Ask him about your chain issues and or how to check the run out if there is any.  Email me if you want his phone number.
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »

Steve,

Alan, one of the members of this group recently did a chain swap and I heard he got a good deal on his stuff.  I recently change sprokets and chain but bought my chain from Ca.cycleworks

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/other.html

and the sprokets from Sidewinder

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/titanium_sprockets.html

Cris from Ca-cycleworks gives good advice on chain choices while sidewinder was more of a bling decision.  currently running 15/41 on the ST4S.

Finally, call a guy named Randy McCarter.  He's an independent mechanic and turning out to be the group's favorite wrench.  Ask him about your chain issues and or how to check the run out if there is any.  Email me if you want his phone number.

+20 for ca-cycleworks.com.  i've used it for lots, and most recently for stuff for the supersport, and chris personally fabbed up (the bracket for) some dynacoils for me, and then also gave me a call to let me know that he had a better battery for my bike, instead of the battery i had ordered.  i've ordered quite a bit from him in the past, including a set of sprockets (afam/stealth, which looked/performed great) and a new DID chain.  chris took a look at the order and what setup i was going with to give me the correct length of chain so that i didn't buy too much chain and spend too much $$.  i (and just about everyone else probably) can't say enough good things about this guy and his business.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/chain.html

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »

also props to Randy McCarter; he can definitely hook you up with your chain/sprocket needs and much more!   waytogo

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
fastwin
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »

ditto on that... Randy McCarter is very knowledgeable and a super guy! If he says it's Christmas hang up your stockings! waytogo
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

Call Peter at MotoLiberty for good deals on just about everything waytogo

Tell him we sent you... Wink

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
cdc

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

Call Peter at MotoLiberty for good deals on just about everything waytogo

Tell him we sent you... Wink

Then duc,  get it ...duc = duck.

Sorry just trying to be a senior member.  my count's pathetic.

cdc
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »

Another +1 for Ca-Cycleworks and Chris Kelly if you go the online route.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:15:18 PM »

Sorry just trying to be a senior member.  my count's pathetic.

Go cdc, GO  waytogo waytogo waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
sdlrodeo

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I'll get ahold of cdc and see if he'll give me Randy's info. Also, I almost forgot about Grif's Cycle there in Lewisville and NorthTexasSuperbike in Highland village.
Thanks,
Steve

cdc

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:52:16 AM »

email sent.

cdc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: