Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:39:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much for a hair cut?  (Read 7151 times)
DesmoLu
If only he'd had a

"You're like a stray wild animal" -- my ex

« on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »

Unlike the realm of fashion blogs and sadly, most of my female friends, you all seem like reasonable gals when it comes to spending money on frilly things.

So, inquiring minds want to know, how much do you pay for good hair cut? Not a blow and style, just the cut.

I have long hair that I pretty much let style itself but I still like it to look good. Past couple of years I have been getting my cuts at the local beauty school but the last experience was so awful I can never go back - she took about 4 extra inches off, left some random strands, took 3 hours to do it...wtf?
Now I am left trying to find a salon and everything I find or is recommended to me is $70+, which seems like way too much for me. I splurged on a $125 cut in NYC once because my friends were doing it together and I felt VIOLATED after all was said and done. Violated with great hair at least.

would love your input, ladies!

Stella

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »

I usually have to get the blow dry (which means styled at the same time) because I'm going back to work or am running errands or doing something after.  $70 is about right at a good salon with a good stylist from my experience.  Stating the obvious but call around before scheduling the appointment to make sure you can do that and at what cost.

I tried the local school once.  And only once.  What a disaster!   laughingdp  (Although I've heard good things about Aveda's schools.)   Good luck!

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
kp

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »

where do you live?
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

I have long (past shoulder-length) hair, my stylist shampoos, cuts, and blow dries my hair for me for $50 (+ tip), and this is in the SF bay area.  I know there are places that charge considerably more but I'm very happy with her and have followed her from one salon to another.

I'd recommend asking around for local recommendations, especially ask people with similar type hair to you.  They don't have to be a good friend, what girl isn't flattered by being told you love their hair?  That's how I found mine.

Or...MrI says he'd be happy to cut your hair for free. cheeky

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:35:43 AM »

Try SuperCuts or Haircuttery....

J/K...don't throw any more rotting fruit and vegetables at me please.

spending for a hair cut is like spending for anything else nowadays...you have to decide quality versus price...generally, the more you spend, the better the haircut and care is...and in higher end salons, they generally don't do just a cut per sey...because they can't quantify charging you what they do without doing more....so let them...

I have gone to a Paul Mitchell students school for my last few haircuts and have had mixed bag of results, though my last one was fantastic...it made up for the lackluster one that was previously done...so I wouldn't rule them out in going back...there is a turnover in those schools and well, you can always say "not him/her" if by the luck of the draw you get the same one as last time...they will try and appease you in this regard...so ask them for a level 2 or advanced student and tell them of your previous horrid time and I am sure they will try and be accomodating....any salon, good bad or indifferent, would try and be accomodating to a degree....it is a service industry afterall.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:25:18 AM »

I have long (past shoulder-length) hair, my stylist shampoos, cuts, and blow dries my hair for me for $50 (+ tip), and this is in the SF bay area.  I know there are places that charge considerably more but I'm very happy with her and have followed her from one salon to another.

Seriously!? $50!!? Here, in the Bay Area? Please please please share! I have very long (to the bra strap) curly/wavy hair, and I pay minimum of $80 (not including tip) for shampoo, cut, and blow dry (straight hair for a day).

I haven't had a hair cut in over a year.  bang head

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
azoomm

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »

I'm in Austin, TX - I have a Paul Mitchell salon that I am dedicated to.  I have always had a good experience there, and the usual price is $50 for a wash-cut-style.  I do know this, they won't ever do JUST a cut.  It's the best you will get, and they won't let you leave unless you are styled and representing their abilities. 

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Stella

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »

Someone had to post this.  Might as well be me:

http://www.flowbee.com/

Grin   Roll Eyes

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »

Couldn't you just go to whoever styles El Matador's hair?  Tongue

Admit it-we know you two met while sharing hair tips.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
DesmoLu
If only he'd had a

"You're like a stray wild animal" -- my ex

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »

I'd recommend asking around for local recommendations, especially ask people with similar type hair to you.  They don't have to be a good friend, what girl isn't flattered by being told you love their hair?  That's how I found mine.

Or...MrI says he'd be happy to cut your hair for free. cheeky

That's exactly what I've been looking for!! I think that is reasonable. Ideally, I'd pay $35 for just a cut as I don't do the whole blow dry and style thing because my hair actually dries much nicer on its own. That is what I used to pay in college and the cuts and salon were great.

In regards to asking around, every time I do, that girl has spent over $100 on her hair and apparently thinks it was a good deal  Huh?
I guess I just like the look of expensive hair  Undecided

I think a lot of it has to do with where I live. Cheaper places definitely exist in the suburbs but why drive an hour to save $20?

and the thought of Mr. I with scissors, particularly anywhere near my hair will give me nightmares!

LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »

Here in Seattle I pay 55  (without tip) for a shampoo, cut, and rinse, then there is a free trim in between cuts.  This means I go every 3or 4  weeks, and pay once every 6 to 8 weeks.  I have short hair, over the ear, and like to keep it neat.  My hair guy is great.  I asked every woman I saw with short hair that I like the look of where she got her hair done.  Vain, where I go, got the most mentions.  Bash (short for Bashir or something like that) was recommended by my shopper at Nordies.
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:05:48 PM »

Couldn't you just go to whoever styles El Matador's hair?  Tongue

Admit it-we know you two met while sharing hair tips.

Hair tips it was indeed. My secret is to cut my hair short once a year whenever I have to go to court or look like a respectable human being. To take care of it in between I usually just buy the cheapest shampoo at the grocery store, and then just use regular bar soap when I run out  Wink

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:22:02 PM »

Hair tips it was indeed. My secret is to cut my hair short once a year whenever I have to go to court or look like a respectable human being. To take care of it in between I usually just buy the cheapest shampoo at the grocery store, and then just use regular bar soap when I run out  Wink

This is a mix of Irish spring + the dregs of a bottle of head & shoulders, blown dried in a motorcycle sidecar, and slept on for three days.

Total cost-$1.50 that was found in a subway.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
mrs.darkside

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »

What general area do you live around.... think that makes a difference with cost. I could recommend a few places but not sure if you are in California or another state. You might be able to get some good recommendations with knowing what area you are looking for  Grin
DesmoDiva

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »

Here in Buffalo, I pay $32 (w/o tip) for wash-cut-style at a well respected salon.

I have gone other places that charged more, but didn't do as good of job or have the same quality of service. 

When I include a full color with foils that price quickly jumps up into the $120 range.   

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: