Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:33:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantage to using fancy chains?  (Read 3332 times)
Lukey

Perpetual Newbie

« on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »

A certain vendor has good prices on DID VM520 gold chains...I was wondering if a switch to said chain would yield any advantages other than looking great.  I know little about chains and only just learned how to clean mine!  Sorry, it's sad but true...    Sad

Also, can the chain be put on by itself or must the sprockets be changed, too?  I'm pretty sure mine are fine, though I wouldn't really know by looking at them.

'04 S4R (996 Motor)
-Arrow CF Exhaust
-RaceTech Gold Valve suspension F/R
-Precious little else because I like what Ducati came up with
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »

High quality chains generally have a longer life.   Better seals on the rollers keep the grease in and the joints flexible for longer. 

The change your sprockets when you change the chain is a rule of thumb.  If you've got 100 miles on the bike and you want to swap a sprocket.. no problem.  More mile to more you should change out the suite .

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

I'm not sure I understood that last post.  Maybe another drink will help.   drink  Nope, still gibberish.  When worn it is definitely recommended to change chain and sprockets together as a set.  If your sprockets are still cherry you should be able to get away with just a chain replacement.  I had exactly this scenario on my Multistrada recently.  The sprockets are absolutely perfect, but the stock chain was toast.  As mentioned above, the better quality chains have o-rings (or the new DID x-rings) which keep the factory pressed-in grease inside the chain rollers better and allow the chain to roll better and last longer.  Lubing your chain only serves to lube the outer plates and does not penetrate the inside of the rollers, so it's vital that the grease inside them stay put and does its job.  As for your sprockets, the teeth should be straight and have a slightly flat top to their tips.  If the sprocket teeth are sharp and pointy and/or hooked (curved) so that they're not pointing straight up from the sprocket base, they're toast and must be replaced along with the chain.  Worn sprockets will wear out the chain prematurely, and vice versa.  A really good chain will cost more but will generally offset its higher price with longer life, both for the chain and the sprockets (if kept adjusted correctly), as well as quieter running.  When I changed the Multi to the new DID x-ring I really noticed how much quieter running it is, and the bike even shifted gears more quietly.  Proper adjustment is also super important to the whole system.  Hope this helps.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
flsurfdog

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:44:01 AM »

Someone posted on TOB with pics of new sprockets right next to worn out sprockets....very educational, maybe they could do it again  chug

06 s2r1000, Apex Clip-ons, Lowered headlight and gauges, HID high/low, Wasen Design front signals, reflectors removed, Mag Performance clutch cover, Rizoma star pressure plate, open airbox, Spark midpipe, Leo Ti slip-on, tail chop and frame plug blinkers
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:57:31 AM »

Generally speaking the more expensive the longer they last, adjustment really are very important to chain and sprocket life waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:19:04 AM »

Jebus... what was I doing when I typed that last post....

Basically the more expensive chains have better seals on them, X or W rings vs. O rings and the metals are probably a bit higher quality.  The better seals protect the grease that surrounds the roller and pin assembly for longer.  Once that grease starts to crap out, wash out etc then the chain becomes less flexible.  As a result you get chain kinks and increased wear, due to the kinks and that the roller portion of each link no longer wants to roll.

If you have low miles/wear on one your current chain and sprocket suite you can probably get away with just swapping a sprocket.  The more wear you have on your final drive components the more you should replace the sprockets and chain, not just one or the other.

YMMV on how long a chain and sprocket set lasts based on a ton of factors.  Some include engine power, your propensity for hard acceleration, sprocket materials, chain adjustment (or lack of) and more.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:25:09 AM »

In a word, yes. You get what you pay for. DID's are awesome chains. Only brand i will ever buy. Get me a Gold w/ black rollers and a Stealth sprocket Gold center w/ black ring/teeth please!!  waytogo

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »

This is my second DID gold chain. They are good chains, but both of em turned black over time. Grin

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Lukey

Perpetual Newbie

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »

Thanks guys! Very helpful. ttyl

'04 S4R (996 Motor)
-Arrow CF Exhaust
-RaceTech Gold Valve suspension F/R
-Precious little else because I like what Ducati came up with
Evil_Ductator

05 M1000S

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »

I just bought an RK Gold 520 chain (going to 15/42 gearing as well).  How do these compare to DiD?  I wanted a black chain but I think gold will look good too...
monsterduc

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 04:58:33 AM »

Another advantage to having a "pretty" chain is the incentive to clean it to keep it pretty.  Well, except for LA maybe.   laughingdp

mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »

I was seriously considering getting a nice 520 chain for my bike.

Today I was out cleaning the gunk off the chain. Apparently, '05 620's came with DID 520 chains to begin with. Either that, or the woman I bought it from replaced the chain and sprockets during the 500 miles she had it. Or perhaps she stamped "520" and "DID" on each little link.

What a nice, money-saving surprise!

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: