Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 03:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban nomad ?  (Read 2328 times)
ab
ab

ab

« on: December 25, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »

Any of you feel like urban nomads?  Being in I.T. field, I sure do feel like one since there is no such thing as long term work anymore due to outsourcing (smart sourcing , knowledge transfer ) to some cheap labour in India, Russia etc in the name of cost cutting.  Which leads to a very nomad lifestyle by moving from job to job and city to city from one gig to another.
Just curious what others think.

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
Bun-bun

2002 M620 Dark ie

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »

I understand your feeling of not having a home base. I renovate houses in Hampton Roads (Sometimes called seven cities), and can be working in a totally different area each couple of weeks. I know it's not the same as your situation, but it does have parallels. In past years, when work slowed in Hampton Roads, I've taken contracts in the washington D.C. area, and had to spend several weeks ata time away from home. Hotel rooms and fast food are fun at first, as a change from a familiar bed and a homecooked meal, but they get old pretty quick. I tend to work longer hours and work weekends so that I can finish sooner and get back home quicker.

"A fanatic is a man who does what he knows God would do, if only god had all the facts of the matter" S.M. Stirling
superjohn

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:19:23 AM »

I know what you mean. I work in IT as well, and have been lucky myself that I've stayed with the same company in the same location for almost 11 years, but a LOT of my co-workers have spent time working contractor jobs and travelling every week, or had to re-loate at least once.

The real problem I'd have is the difficulty in establishing equity in a home. There have been several people I know caught out by the market because they relocated for their jobs and bought a house at the top of the market and had the value drop. Worse is when the value dropped and they lost their job and had to move again. Makes me wonder if it'd be better to acknowledge the inevitability of such a lifestyle and adopt an investment strategy that precludes home ownership.
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »

honestly, i like moving every few years.

i'm also an army brat.

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
NAKID

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »

honestly, i like moving every few years.

+1

One of the perks of being in the military...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Vindingo

02' 620 Dirty

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »

I have lived in 3 different cities in the past 5 years, all in very different parts of the country.  It is fun meeting new people and having friends across the country, but it is hard if you want to settle down. 

It is even harder if you are in a field where "word of mouth" plays a big role in your business. 

The way I look at it being a young person, I am just testing the waters of where I want to plant my roots... 
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:04:59 PM »

Granted it is nice and fun moving around meeting new people.  But to keep losing job due to outsourcing (smart sourcing [trust me we were told that when we got laid off couple of years back] , out source , knowledge transfer ... [whatever other lingo used] )  is not fun my friend.  A friend of mine just lost her job due to outsourcing to Japan ( Yep peoplesoft developer IT job at citi ).  Another friend, his company no longer hires local rather only hire @ India.  
It is just a cat and mouse game.  Keep upgrading skill and survive for a bit.  Not sure what the future generation will have in all frankness.  
In a way, I am glad I do not have any kids.
I realize there is a huge adjustment in the world going on with standard of living which is a good thing.  But this process is going to continue to be painful.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:09:32 PM by ab » Logged

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:19 PM »

I have lived in 3 different cities in the past 5 years 

coffee

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »

My whole adult life I have been a nomad.  waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »

My whole adult life I have been a nomad.  waytogo

Nomads are cool

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 05:28:48 AM »

My first true tech job was as an RF Technician doing field testing for cellular telephone companies. Towards the end of my 3.5 years, I was putting in around 2800 miles a week.
Since then, I have had 4 different tech jobs and am beginning to seriously look for another one.
I have resided in the same city through all of this but I am now seriously considering relocating to somewhere else.
I have never considered myself a nomad but i am beginning to miss the appeal of not staying in once place for very long.
Stay too long, your heart gets broken. Stay to long, you wear out your welcome. Stay too long and you will be forced to share your true feelings about something to someone and you end up going away anyway...

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:41:05 AM »

Any of you feel like urban nomads?  
Being in I.T. field, I sure do feel like one since there is no such thing as long term work anymore

After living back here in PHX for just over two years now and working for multiple rehab companies, I'd say therapists fall into that "urban nomad" category as well.  Luckily, outsourcing really hasn't hit our field.  It's just the d-bags at the corporate level and their BS productivity charts who ruin any chance of career longevity with these places.  Roll Eyes   I see more and more techs & assistants being utilized in the schools.  Those with little-to-no education working in a field that requires a Master's degree performing tasks for a fraction of the cost.  Hmmm..I guess they really are outsourcing in a way. 

Time to go out and further my skills to stay competetive in the work place!!  Since no word from the DOD yet on overseas work..the IZs may be coming to your town!   Grin

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »

this thread was last active when i still thought i had a future at my current job.

wtf IZ... laughingdp

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: