Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 12:14:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool to Remove the Steering Nut  (Read 1830 times)
erik822

« on: May 28, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »

Anyone know where I can get/buy/steal the tool to remove–actually tighten, in my case– the steering stem nut?
The nut I'm talking about is the perforated nut in the middle of the top triple tree.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »

I don't but have thought about making one. You would just need to get a small piece of steel barstock (approx 1"wide), then drill a couple holes in it at the same spacing as the holes in the nut. Then put a couple screws through those holes and nuts on the screws to hold them in. You now have a little spanner wrench but you need a hex to drive it or just turn it by hand. You could tack weld on a nut in the middle that would allow you to put a socket on to drive it.

You're supposed to torque that nut to 20Nm.
Then back it off 30 degrees.
Then you tighten the clamp bolt.

This is important to put the proper preload on your bearings. You don't want to just crank it down, then tighten the clamp bolt. I usually just rig something up, snug it down, then back it off a little. I've never torqued it properly because I haven't made a tool yet bang head

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:52:40 AM »

I know Desmo Times sells one. 40 bucks and like Gabe says, it looks easy enough to make so I haven't ordered one, although as with most of these DIY contraptions bang head  you will probably be money ahead and end up with a fancier looking if not more functional tool if you just buy the damn thing.  laughingdp

EVERYTHING takes longer than you think, my new motto...

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 S2r 1000 rubber still down
'05 GasGas MC 250 watch it or she'll loop on ya
'91 Husky 610wxe "paintshaker"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: