Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 11:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ASV Shorty Lever issues  (Read 3675 times)
Mr.Saturn

« on: December 29, 2009, 08:20:41 PM »

Just picked up a new set today for my '05 620 and having some issues with fitment.  The clutch side comes nowhere close to pushing the clutch switch in, while the brake switch is always engaged on the other side (the brake is probably dragging lightly too).  There really doesn't appear to be any way to adjust this... has anyone else had similar issues when installing these?
Mr.Saturn

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »

I *think* I correctly solved the brake side issue.  When I installed clip-ons earlier this season I found a little rubber plug on the ground and held on to it.  I never took the levers off at the time, but I think it fits in the hole that connects to the brake light switch.  How it fell out with the brake lever installed I do not know.  But is that correct?  It kinda looks like a little rubber dome with a raised edge near the bottom.  With the ASV lever installed it does seem to actuate the light properly.

I'll mess with the clutch here a little, I think it's just a spacing issue with the grip.  If anyone could confirm that rubber hat is where it should be that would be great!

EDIT: Things have gone from mildly crappy to bad... even with the clutch side adjusted way out (the neutral switch does click when squeezed that way) I cannot shift from neutral to first without stalling the bike.  Air in the clutch (never opened the line)?  Sticky clutch plates from cold weather?  Or did I mess up the master cylinder by preloading the plunger too hard when installing the lever?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:18:03 PM by Mr.Saturn » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

The brake side rubber/plastic - tiny little make the beast with two backser - keeps falling out bang head Good thing you found it waytogo
This is a good read to adjust it well..... http://www.ducatisuite.com/leverchange.html    Scroll down to bottom

I have had issues with my clutch plunger rod - the brass looking piece. I had to apply oil into the rubber bellow to make it operate smoothly. You can check if that brass rod connects correctly with the lever, it's kind of loose and might point in the wrong direction?

It's a possibility that you have air in your system, but I'm leaning towards lever adjustment issues. Aftermarket levers often (always?) need quite a lot of adjusting. The screw, in the lever, that connects to the brass plunger must be turned several rounds for the lever to connect properly. When you read and follow the directions in my link, you will see how it's going to be done on the clutch side as well.

Good luck waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Mr.Saturn

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »

ASV levers do not have the adjustment screw that the stock levers do.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

ASV levers do not have the adjustment screw that the stock levers do.

Really Huh?

Regardless of what the solution to your problem is, adjuster or whatever else, I can't understand that they'd actually make levers without that screw. From my experience it's a must! If it was me, I'd ask for my money back and buy another brand.

This is the screw I'm talking about:

Mr.Saturn

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »

Yep, they don't have an adjustable screw, just a fixed cup, though it seems to be exactly where it needs to be.

I put the stock lever back on the clutch and it still will not disengage so I'm gonna bleed the line next time I have some daylight.  Rocking the bike back and forth in and out of gear didn't help so I've eliminated sticky plates as the cause.  I REALLY hope bleeding the line fixes it... the thought of buying a new clutch master doesn't thrill me.  The previous owner sold me the bike with both brake and clutch reservoirs on the low side, and I hadn't cracked my new can of DOT4 yet.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know.
Mr.Saturn

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »

Clutch bled, seems to be fine now.  Looking back I don't think it even needed to be bled but a flush won't hurt.  The problem the whole time with the clutch was that I had the kickstand down when testing the shifting...  bang head

So lastly (hopefully), on the brake I've discovered one more problem.  The rubber plug I'm using for a brake switch plunger doesn't seem to be the correct part.  It "works" but causes the front brake to drag.  I certainly can't have that so would anyone mind snapping a pic of the correct plug if they have 5 spare minutes sometime?  I'll probably have to order one on Monday unless anyone here has a spare.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:11:40 AM »

The problem the whole time with the clutch was that I had the kickstand down when testing the shifting...  bang head

Another proof we're only human waytogo Wink

The plunger plug is, kind of, visible on a picture in the Ducatisuite link above. The one you have must be quite a bit too large to cause brake drag, I would think Huh? Not saying it isn't so, just wondering. On my bike it's exactly as long as the hole it's in.

Mr.Saturn

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »

Well with the (probably wrong) plunger in place, I get a brake light but dragging brakes, and without it, I get working brakes and always-on brake light.  So I'm including a pic of my plunger as well as a diagram indicating the size and how it fits in my master cylinder mount.  Let me know if this is obviously the wrong plunger if you can.  The Ducati Suite site is great but the pictures are simply too small.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »

That's not it. That one looks like it's rubber?
I guess it's the collar on your plug which is causing the drag.
The one you're supposed to have is hard plastic (?) and ~exactly as long as the red part of your diagram.

Parts catalogue has it listed as a separate piece as part # 195.4.002.1A
(Catalogue is downloadable http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/parts/2005.jhtml;jsessionid=WJBM0ZW3DONLUCRNCB2SFFAKFUIHUIV4?family=parts

Mr.Saturn

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »

That part number is listed as rubber spacer, but I'm assuming it must be really hard rubber or something.  It's not showing in the '05 620 catalog but older ones seem to show it.  I'm guessing they're all the same for the coffins, I'll order one tomorrow at the local dealership.  Thanks for your help, this install was way worse than I had planned.
Mr.Saturn

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »

Last post (hopefully).  Got the plastic part, everything works nearly perfect.  Brake light comes on a little late, thinking about shaving the plug down just a hair with some sandpaper.  Sound like a good idea?

ASV was great helping me out when I called in, and thanks for helping me out in this thread also!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »

Three things about the "late" isssue (in my limited experience).

- it takes/should take very little lever movement for that switch to work. My first thought would be lack of lubrication.

- the micro switches are located on metal brackets, which are held in place by the large pivot nut. The bracket are a tiny bit adjustable. Wiggle it around to see if that changes anything.

- just a couple of months ago, I got a new switch after trying the above methods. I think you might have to replace yours.

Sanding it down won't help, I'm afraid....

Mr.Saturn

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

Problem resolved, sanding worked!  My reasoning was this:  the ASV levers were machined to match the tolerance of the stock Brembo lever, but after that, they were anodized and were a hair thicker than OEM on the brake-switch side.  Rather than mess up $200 levers I sanded the little $2 plastic peg just a hair (put a caliper on it to check while sanding) and it worked!  Thanks again for all the help in this thread!
Mr.Saturn

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »

Pics to follow once I get some light btw  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: