Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:21:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: track day apparel minimums  (Read 4017 times)
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:07 AM »

okay, maybe not the best thread title ever...because it seems to imply i want to know what the bare, absolute minimum is to be able to participate in a track day, and that's not so.  what i'm wondering really is if there is a "hard and fast"/"set in stone" list out there that you have to meet to be green-lighted to ride on the track.  i've been browsing some wares recently and wondering what apparel selections would get me "withheld" from participating in a trackday.  i.e. would buying a jacket that didn't zip into the pants be a red flag?  are any textiles ever allowed?  are shorty boots allowed?  short/street gloves?  i'm trying to figure out some purchases, and can't be dropping $1100+ on a full Corsa racing suit, but didn't want to shoot myself in the foot and buy something thinking i could use it for the track, and have it not be acceptable (i.e. a jacket that's 70% leather and 30% textile).  i'm assuming it's really just a judgment call on the part of the AMS crew running it (or is it more to do with track crew/standards)?

any input for a track noob is appreciated....   though, as stated above, advice like: "get a 1pc Corsa racing suit, vertigo corsa airs, and a shoei X-11 and then you'll be well-protected and won't have to worry about it" doesn't help me much.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
Dallas 1098

You've got hope. I have skill.

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:40 AM »

Generally...
leather that will zip together, although,  I think some track day providers will allow textile in the novice classes, but it must still zip together.  Boots must cover the ankles, golves and helmet.  I'm sure other more experienced will chime in.

I can say from personal experience, going down is no fun and I'm glad I had my gear on.  Not a scratch to me. If (or when) you happen to go down, you want gear that will protect your body, at least that's my opinion...

08' 1098 AKA "RAZZO"
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »

I can say from personal experience, going down is no fun and I'm glad I had my gear on.  Not a scratch to me. If (or when) you happen to go down, you want gear that will protect your body, at least that's my opinion...
[/quote]

yeah, i agree.  i had a non-mating jacket and pants on in arkansas, and paid for that when i hit the ground.  two t-shirts wasn't a match for asphalt and gravel.  though i will say that was the only problem (even with my bargain-basement gear).

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »

I wore a 2piece suit that zipped together, shorty gloves, riding boots, and of course my helmet.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
dallas2r

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:47:36 AM »

When I did the AMS track day last October, Jeff let me on the track with full boots, leather pants and a textile jacket that didn't  zip together. He made me promise not to go down.  laughingdp  For my next track day I'll pick up a one piece or maybe an RS Taichi jacket that will zip in to my pants.

Jeff also had some old one piece suits that he offered to loan.

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
Jester

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:11:23 AM »

i'm trying to figure out some purchases, and can't be dropping $1100+ on a full Corsa racing suit,

Neither could I!  Check out the Alpine Stars SG-1 Suit.  Its full perforated up front, and mucho comfortable on me for 650 bucks.  No reason to blow 1k plus on a suit if you don't need to.  I originally saw it online, but moto-liberty has em too.  They ordered the color I wanted and had it within three days np.

The undersuit is truly a good thing.   It makes getting out of sticky leather muuuch easier.  I was originally going to wear under armor, but found it to be quite hot, so I went back for the mesh undersuit.  Also make sure your suit has enough room for a back protector and try it on with one slapped to your back.  Moto-Liberty talked me into getting it at the same time, but you don't necessarily need it for bare bones.  Leave space in that suit for it down the line though.  I was able to get into a 52 suit with no protector, but I wear a 54 with the back protector.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:12 AM »

Clean underwear.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

James.M

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:12 AM »

Clean underwear.
+ socks
fastwin
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:30:53 AM »

Rich, I have a separate strap on back protector like Jacob talked about that you can borrow. It's either a Dainese or an Alpinestar... can't remember. Bought it in Dec. '06 when I got my Fieldsheer Flex one piece suit from Moto Liberty. I have never worn it except to try it on in the store. I was going to pull out the slid in back protector out of the suit or my jackets and use the separate protector since it offers more ... well, protection. It's a full length model and has adjustable shoulder straps and wide velcro waist attachment so it can fit many sizes and body types. If you are interested I will dig it out of the closet.
sdlrodeo

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:45:16 AM »

Track day minimums vary by the people puttin on the track day. AMS 'strongly' suggests leather one-piece as evidenced by the fact that Jeff will loan you a used set. When I did the track day with Eurosport FW, they asked for the bare minimum. Textiles were OK if they zipped together.

Here is what I would recommend:
Go to a Gear store or two, try on a few items to get your 'size' which varies by manufacturer GREATLY. Then scour ebay for a used set. I ended up picking up a used Vanson one piece for $300 (1200 new) I wore it three track days and one TXminiGP race, wrecked in it four times in the latter (it was raining and 7 year old tires) and ended up selling it for $275! Get some decent boots/gloves the same way.

I do like suporting the local folks like Audrey at Motoliberty. But for a first time suit purchase that is a way to go. Actually, come to think of it, I'd go there first to see what sort of deals Peter will have for you on a two piece. That way, you can use it for your regular riding too. Another benefit of a two piece in the texas heat is you can leave your pants on without having the top part of the suit hanging off your back. Just take off the jacket. If you do get a two piece, get one that zips at least 3/4 of the way around. Full zip would be of course better.

You can get the Set-up boots (made by sidi) for $130 or so. And of course, gloves are personal prefference.

I think you'll find, that unless you can go out and get a custom suit, you'll be experimenting/sacrificing for a little while until you find one that works. And, hardly anything will work for every situation.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
fastwin
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:53:40 AM »

Good advice from Steve. waytogo Due to my physical problems I can't get into my one piece without screaming and crying. I really like my Joe Rocket two piece rig. I have several Joe Rocket race replica leather jackets and they all zip (3/4+ around the waist) onto my Joe Rocket Supermoto leather pants. Super easy for me to get in and out of and 95%+ of the protection of a one piece. Rich , you saw me in it on the Ark. ride. Lisa really likes her two piece Dainese, I think B8 and Ashok also have two piece Dainese rigs. Might be some killer deals out there on quality two piece suits.
WonderBoy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:39 PM »

After having gone down at a track....

full leather suit (or mating leather jacket/pants combo)
leather gloves with good knuckle protection
that full faced head bubble wrap thing you're supposed to always wear
good sturdy boots (doesn't matter what brand, as long as they do their job)
advil/tylenol/something ibuprofen  (after a full day of sessions, you'll need it whether or not you go down, at least you will if you do it right...)
lots of water.

High above the muckey muck...
sdlrodeo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 05:52:23 PM »

I would also check Grif's cycle gear. they don't have a lot, but Will can order what you need and have it for you in a few days. So there you have it, Motoliberty, Grif's, Cyclegear, Wilz Garage, Ebay. No excuses!!!

Oh, and have FUN at your track day!
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: