Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 01:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We've Made it!  (Read 39141 times)
DRKWNG
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »

First things first.  Erase the word cheap from your vocabulary, as nothing down here is cheap.  I'll be in DC already when you guys make it down, so I can't offer up and beers.  Shame...
djrashonal

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »

First things first.  Erase the word cheap from your vocabulary, as nothing down here is cheap.  I'll be in DC already when you guys make it down, so I can't offer up and beers.  Shame...
it's like we're flipflopping lives. how about you take my job and I take your job :-)

Off topic:
Did you figure out your route from west coast to east?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 02:38:38 AM »

yeah, the cheap rental won't be easy - as long as you're willing to take a chance, I'd try Priceline or Hotwire.  You won't know what you're getting, but it's generally ok. I just checked Hotwire and saw $13.95/ day in Honolulu for that time period. 

There's plenty to do/see.  We'll hook you up when the time gets closer.  waytogo

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
draven1198

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

let me save you the trouble and headache of 3yrs you'll want back.

Oahu when you first arrive is an amazing place.  The culture, great weather and exciting/fun things to do suck you right in  chug

Visiting here for 2 or 3wks is going to make you fall in love with this place, you'll see.  I've said it probably 1000 times, this place is AWESOME!!!!........... for vacation.

If you don't HAVE to live here, avoid it like the plague.  Especially if you're a motorcyclist.  This is the #1 motorcycle theft state in the country.  yeah most of the bikes that are stolen are Jap bikes but there are Ducs and BMW's stolen too.  As for your question, "wouldn't you see it on the island?" the answer is a hearty YES!!! but you can't do shit about it cause it's a giant conspiracy.... they all have clean paperwork within days of being stolen so once it's gone.... it's gone and you're assed out...... just pray you have gap insurance, if you don't.... GET IT! 

As far as riding goes...... paint 2 walls.... one black and one white, stare at the white one for about 30min, then turn around and look at the black one for 30min, then turn around and look at the white one for 30min, after that, turn around and look at the black one for 30min..... you get the picture??  I think I heard somewhere you can ship your bike to Maui for like $130 one way... so $260 both ways, plus hotel costs and food and you're looking at probably about $1k for a whole weekend trip, yeah.... maybe once or twice a year.... then look at the white and black walls again.

As some others have said, jobs are everywhere you look, if you wanna work at L&L or something  coffee.  Bottom line there is that your wife will be the money maker so if I were you..... I'd find some internet type gig to make some side cash or something, that way you won't have to deal with the traffic.  Speaking of traffic, most people HATE the traffic here and rightly so.  Traffic is the same everywhere though, you don't move for like 3-5min, then you move about 3ft and wait again, that's just the nature of the beast.  The real difference here is that they give licenses out to EVERYONE.... it seems there is not even an I.Q. requirement to operate a 4 wheeled vehicle here.  as long as you know how to throw out the Shaka...... you're good to go. 

This is also the most racist place I've witnessed.... against white people.  but I guess we had that coming so whatever I can deal with it.  Just don't go "exploring" the island after like 9pm and you'll be fine.

Living arrangements.  If you can find a good safe place off base and save some cash, do it.  I thought I could do it for a year and my bike got stolen and I didn't have gap insurance so..... yeah.... bye bye all the money I saved.  On base peace of mind is worth every penny to me..... plus I know my house has AC and isn't "breezy" or "cozy".  if you see those words in an ad... that means no AC and you're going to sweat your ballz off.

I'll throw out the disclaimer that I've been jaded here..... I've had a pretty bad experience overall but I will say that the first 6-9months I was here were GREAT!

If you love the beach life and wanna just "chill", you'll like it here.  if you like to party and live it up in the clubs and night life, you'll enjoy your time.  If you want to live your life, go on some good rides, save up some money, enjoy a variety of new experiences everyday and live with a populace that likes to abide by the laws/rules and not try to "screw" you at every turn out of some money...... this place is not for you.

djrashonal

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »

I hear ya on the jaded thing. I grew up in the DC area and became very jaded to all the touristy things. And traffic there is just as bad - and its not even an island! Thanks for the heads up  waytogo

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 10:58:54 PM »

Basically agree with everything draven said.  Loved the place for first bit, and now I can't wait to move.  I don't even want to think about how much money this island has sucked out of my bank account, and how impossible its been to save money here for my wife and I compared to the mainland.  Everything is incredibly expensive, and if you love riding there are a few good places but far more headaches than fun.  If you like vacations I hope you make a ton of money, since its not cheap to get off this rock once you're on.

I could save money not living on base, but no way that's going to happen.  I work with a guy that had 2 bikes stolen in 2 months so I'll pass on that one.  No track if that's your thing, and ridiculously low speed limits.  Also anything over 80mph is considered street racing so they'll impound your bike and slap you with a felony charge.  Obviously Hawaii lawmakers never saw a real race.  The few good riding roads will get boring before your 3 years are up, and most of them are riddled with debris, potholes, traffic, and stupid people.

Kind of like draven I had a good first 6 months to a year and its been all downhill from there.  Wife had difficulty finding a job even with a Business Management degree, when she did find one she made considerably less money than on the mainland, while everything here is far more expensive.  I'm also really jaded though and wish you guys the best in Hawaii.  I'm moving in 5 days too so won't be here when you guys make it over.
zzilla

<Insert something inspiring here>

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 07:54:24 AM »

Oh, come on, offbase living isn't that bad! I live off base, and I've only had to pull my firearm one time to break up a domestic disturbance. On top of that, I save a nice chunk of change living in my "breezy" place. I just invested in a bunch of fans to make the breeze constant.

Did I ever tell you the story about the Zen master and the little boy?
       -Gust Avrakotos
DRKWNG
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »

He's just mad because he finally realized how much time he had been wasting from hanging out on Ducati Spot.  Wink
hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »

He's just mad because he finally realized how much time he had been wasting from hanging out on Ducati Spot.  Wink

ducati spot??? is that site still up?

it is so much easier to get forgiveness then it will ever be to get permission.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 09:09:03 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
djrashonal

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »

zing!

so for a breezy 3br place, in a decent area how much would something cost to buy or rent, ballpark

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
Javamoose

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »

zing!

so for a breezy 3br place, in a decent area how much would something cost to buy or rent, ballpark

Single family home or apt?  Looking at like $2,500+ to rent a single family home in a nice area.  Buy?  Start at $400,000 and go up as high as you can imagine...

2000 M750
djrashonal

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »

Single family home or apt?  Looking at like $2,500+ to rent a single family home in a nice area.  Buy?  Start at $400,000 and go up as high as you can imagine...

Definitely a SFH.....when you say I'm lookin at 2500+ is that nice place/neighborhood with A/C? or is that 2500 the starting point in an OK neighborhood w/ no A/C or is very cozy (and by cozy i mean it says its a 3 br but really its a 600sqft 2br they just put an extra wall into)

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »

SQ FT here is going to be smaller than the mainland for sure.  For 2500/month on a single family home I'd say you'll be doing "ok".  Not in a great place but you won't need hobo stab insurance either.
zzilla

<Insert something inspiring here>

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »

I've got a 3br/1bath in Wahiawa (east side of Kamehameha highway) for 1300/month. Regardless of what you hear, it's not a bad place to live. All my neighbors are relatively friendly. 

Did I ever tell you the story about the Zen master and the little boy?
       -Gust Avrakotos
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: