Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowmount Exhaust Chop - How Much to Chop?  (Read 4927 times)
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« on: May 31, 2008, 06:21:48 AM »

I am looking to mod my stock pipes by cutting, & need some specific info.

Pic below shows my Senna S4 before and (photoshopped) 'after' pics. The orange dot on the 'before' pic shows where the word 'ducati' is stamped in the metal - about 3 1/2 inches (9cm) from the end of the unmodded pipe.

I want to shorten my pipes... but DON'T want to cut so far in that I cut through all three inner tubes (see pic below, from TOB).

1. How far down the pipe can I cut before I hit all three tubes? (distance X in the illustration below).
2. How thick is the metal of the internal pipe? Can it be welded instead of pop rivetted? Is it aluminium or steel?

caffeinejunkee has a great write up on here,.. but I'm still trying to find out how far I can cut back without hitting all three tubes.

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=2312.0

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:37:02 AM by roy-nexus-6 » Logged

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:29:43 AM »

i cant add anything useful to help you since i took over 6 inches off my last set of low pipes.
but i am curious why you don't want to cut through them? are you trying to shorten them without making them louder?

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »

I'm kind of curious on that point too.  Anyway, I think for aesthetic and sound reasons the red dot point you've indicated is a pretty good place to cut to.  I've seen and heard a ton of cut pipes and find that the real shorties are a bit too loud, IMO, and don't really look that good, again IMO.  The three-quarters length you're indicating with your red dot seems about perfect.  I did that exact mod on a set of Monster pipes a couple of years ago and was very happy with the results.  Go for it!

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Scooter Montgomery

Milford, NH

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »

I cut 4" off mine, looks and sounds great.

2003 620 Half Dark/ Half Silver 35,000 happy miles
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

i cant add anything useful to help you since i took over 6 inches off my last set of low pipes.
but i am curious why you don't want to cut through them? are you trying to shorten them without making them louder?

Yes! The police in Aus are like raving hounds when it comes to motorcycles. So I'd like to shorten them to make them look better,.. but not necessarily louder.

I cut 4" off mine, looks and sounds great.

Great! At four inches, did you cut through all 3 pipes?  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:30:14 PM by roy-nexus-6 » Logged

Scooter Montgomery

Milford, NH

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4592375

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4592310

The sound quality is better in really life. I probably shouldn't have done it indoors.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:45:12 PM by Scooter Montgomery » Logged

minnesotamonster

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »

ok so this might be a dumb question but here goes anyways. I want to chop my stock low mounts as well. Do you just pick a spot, cut all the way through the pipe, and rivet the cap back on??  Is there anything else that needs to be done?

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »

ok so this might be a dumb question but here goes anyways. I want to chop my stock low mounts as well. Do you just pick a spot, cut all the way through the pipe, and rivet the cap back on??  Is there anything else that needs to be done?

No such thing as a dumb question Tongue

Excellent write up can be found here - it includes pics.

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=2312.0

Scooter Montgomery

Milford, NH

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:25:41 AM »

I looked inside mine this morning. I only cut 2 of the 3 pipes. One was short enough that I missed it.

Bob

Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »

OK, I have checked mine that I cut.

The cut was made just before the D of Ducati on the R/H side muffler, similar amount taken of the L/H side.
I cut through the one pipe that exists at the back waytogo

The pipes are a bit louder, but has a deeper sound Grin

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 06:33:48 AM »

I looked inside mine this morning. I only cut 2 of the 3 pipes. One was short enough that I missed it.
Bob

Thanks for the update! Do you still have the full word 'Ducati' on the right hand pipe? Approximately how far from the end is it?  Tongue

OK, I have checked mine that I cut.

The cut was made just before the D of Ducati on the R/H side muffler, similar amount taken of the L/H side.
I cut through the one pipe that exists at the back waytogo

The pipes are a bit louder, but has a deeper sound Grin

I got so excited when I read Big Bear's post, I PM'd him to confirm - no answer as yet: here's my PM.

Let me confirm - you cut through only ONE pipe - that would have to have been the pipe that exited the exhaust? So you're cut occurred in region X of my figure in my post? That 'D' is exactly 3 1/2 inches down the right hand exhaust.. so X must be longer than 3 1/2 inches.

The reason why I am so excited is that you have described cutting EXACTLY where I want to cut!  I'd be one happy camper if I can make the cut this upcoming weekend!
  waytogo

Scooter Montgomery

Milford, NH

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 06:46:47 AM »

Thanks for the update! Do you still have the full word 'Ducati' on the right hand pipe? Approximately how far from the end is it?  Tongue

I got so excited when I read Big Bear's post, I PM'd him to confirm - no answer as yet: here's my PM.

Let me confirm - you cut through only ONE pipe - that would have to have been the pipe that exited the exhaust? So you're cut occurred in region X of my figure in my post? That 'D' is exactly 3 1/2 inches down the right hand exhaust.. so X must be longer than 3 1/2 inches.

The reason why I am so excited is that you have described cutting EXACTLY where I want to cut!  I'd be one happy camper if I can make the cut this upcoming weekend!
  waytogo
Its right through the middle of the "D".  Different companies made pipes for Ducati so it might vary from company to company mine are made by Remus.

roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »

Its right through the middle of the "D".  Different companies made pipes for Ducati so it might vary from company to company mine are made by Remus.

I just got a note from caffeinejunkie: I mentioned his excellent write up at the start of this thread. In the case of his pipe, X was equal to about 5 and half inches. So you are absolutely right - it seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Well see what I find when I do the chop! I'll include all the info I've collected in this thread in a mini how-to write up. Thanks again to everyone who provided info.

Cheers.  chug

Roy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: