Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 18, 2024, 12:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oreogn lost title mess... advice?  (Read 6290 times)
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« on: March 15, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

So, the cb550 I picked up doesn't have a title... and it has old California plates... and I may or may not have all the signatures going back to the last listed owner years ago in California... there seems to be a real messy process to jump through a list of hoops to get things legally sorted...

So... I asked all the California boys on the board...and the general consensus was "Don't buy a non-titled bike."   Of course this doesn't help me much.

This leads me to ask you all.... any help, advice, words of wisdom???

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
Bendy

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »

I'll PM you the contact info for a licensing expert I used to deal with down in Califruit. I get lonely in my unemployment, so I gave him a ring to chat, and he said that if it's been registered within the last six or eight years in California, that's a handy thing. Any more than that, and it can get purged from the Cal DMV database.

If you were a California resident, they have a kind of title hardship program where you can send certified letters to the last known owner, then go to the DMV and tell them that you've tried your damnedest to get the title, and they'll issue you one. I've never heard of Oregon being so liberal with lost out-of-state titles, but it may be worth asking if they'll do something similar.

Applying for a duplicate title in California is always an available option if you can indeed reach the last registered owner--however, they'll send the duplicate to that person when it's made, so there's an additional postage stamp in that sequence of events.

Anyway, Kevin's got a nice bag of tricks. If you know when it was last registered, give him a jingle.
scott_araujo

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »

There was something similar when I lived in NY.  If you lost the title you could apply for a title search.  Basically if it didn't come up as stolen it was yours and they'd issue a new title.  Did this once on a car that I bought.  No big deal really.

Go to the DMV, be real polite, and ask nicely.  I'm guessing Oregon will pawn you off to Cali since it looks like that's where it was last registered but you can probably still do the same thing over the phone if needed.  

Also, the Lake Oswego DMV next to New Seasons was a pretty friendly place last time I went.  I had to register my bike here in OR after buying it in Cali and riding it up.  No big fuss and they were really nice.

Scott
ryandalling

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »

I just noticed that I spelled Oregon as Oreogn... lol... made me hungry .... Oreos... mmmm...

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
GAAN
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:10 PM »

or

go find a CB550 with a title

and

swap frames

much less labor intensive
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »

or

go find a CB550 with a title

and

swap frames

much less labor intensive

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

The funny part is... that's probably true!

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
ryandalling

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:15:08 AM »

Get this... I found the old owner on facebook... so I sent him a message... he is willing to fill out the duplicate title form and send it to me.... and to have it notarized before sending it.... fingers crossed... I am hopeful that this works out.  waytogo

scott_araujo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 05:40:03 AM »

Wow, nice guy!  And you actually used the internet and Facebook for something useful.  How often does that happen?

Scott
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »

Holy crap!  Facebook was actually used to... *gasp* ... conduct business?!?

Today, March the 16th, Two-thousand and Ten, a day which will live in infamy...

cheeky

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
ryandalling

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 02:40:31 AM »

Don't mark it down yet. I did find the owner and he does seem initially helpful... but it aint over till I have the title in my hand. Time to wait and see.  Tongue

ryandalling

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:25 AM »

Soooooooo... I sent him the PDF he needs to fill out... and the location of the closest PostNet post office... who does two dollar notary stamps... and have not received a response... even offered him $100 to complete it... argh.

scott_araujo

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »

Ummmm.... so how did you get the bike if you never met the old owner?  Or did it go through several owners none of whom ever bothered to register it?

Scott
ryandalling

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »

Ummmm.... so how did you get the bike if you never met the old owner?  Or did it go through several owners none of whom ever bothered to register it?

Scott

The later...looks like three people had it in between and none of them registered it... I actually sent this form to Cali DMV to get the name of the current registered owner. Then rather than fill out another form to find his address, I just looked him up on facebook. Trying to save time and energy.  Grin

MendoDave
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:17:09 AM »

If none of that works there is a process where you hold an "Auction" at a California address and if nobody buys it, it's yours. I did that with my GMC truck. There was of course no auction just a 20 day period where it had to sit around.
trenner

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »

My experience with a similar problem in Oregon went a bit like this, EXCEPT:

I was told by DMV (when they gave me the contact info of the last registered owner) to send the LRO the filled out but unsigned form, a self-addressed stamped envelope, and a letter stating my request that he complete and return the form, all in one envelope, certified mail, return receipt, restricted delivery.  I should also be sure to make a copy of everything before I sent it to him.

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/certifiedmailservice.htm

This would give me evidence that the request was actually delivered to the last registered owner, and that all he had to do was sign, put it in an envelope, and drop it in the mail.

There was no mention of a notary being required at any time.

DMV stated that, if the LRO didn't respond after (um, I think it was 60 or 90 days), that I should bring the proof of delivery back to DMV, and they'd do (something magical) to transfer the title to me anyhow, based solely upon the evidence of effort on my part.

As it turned out, the LRO sent the document back within the time limit, so I never had to exercise this "proof of sending" route.  But the DMV did seem ready to act on just that proof, should I have required it.

My suggestion: send him a CM/RR/RD letter with a pre-filled form and the signature block highlighted, and see if he responds to that.  If not, take that to the DMV and see what they'll do.

IANAL.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: