Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:07:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any shop suggestions?  (Read 3079 times)
gh0stie
All I ever wanted as a kid was to be a

« on: March 19, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »

Hello strangers,

I need to get the bike in for some clutch work, plus a new tire, does anyone have any suggestions on a shop other than Ducati Austin?

I don't mind riding up there if I have to, but I live all the way down south and I'd rather not ride 35, plus I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks (as long as it is a reputable shop of course)

Thanks!
Greg

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »

Clutch work is pretty simple on most bikes. What kind of problems are you having? Maybe it can be done with out the need of a shop.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
gh0stie

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:30:26 AM »

It just seems to release slowly, not sure how else to better explain it...but I let the clutch all the way out,  and give it gas but the bike still responds like the clutch is still in.

there's basically a bit of a lag, and it feels like the bike slowly winds up to match the throttle input

I don't really have any tools and not sure I'm confident enough in my wrenching skills to not screw anything up, although considering my frustration this morning I wouldn't mind trying anything just.

I took time off work and rode all the way to Ducati Austin this morning hoping to drop it off to get fixed....only to be told the shop doesn't have a Technician, WTF?? How is that possible?? They're only Ducati shop in Austin! What are we supposed to do???

So freaking pissed off right now

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:15:09 PM by gh0stie » Logged
hiero

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »

what model is it?  there are a few things you can do to help us diagnose I think, but need to know model first

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »

Where do you live?  Ducati San Antonio just changed hands and invested in a factory certified tech.  He may be the guy from Austin. 

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

gh0stie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »

Thanks guys.

Hiero
It's an '02 Monster 620 Dark

Ducaholic, I live in South Austin......I guess our loss is SA's gain.

still sucks though

Greg

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »

Was hoping you might live closer to S/A so that we could help you out. If it's slipping then I'd guess either some worn clutch plates (how many miles on the bike?), or maybe a sticking clutch pushrod.
Maybe some of the local Austin boys could help you out?

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
gh0stie

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

Bike has ~9400 miles on it....hoping to find a local tech as well
Thanks again
hiero

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »

have you recently done an oil change on the bike? What's the fluid level and last time you changed your clutch fluid?

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
yotogi

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:09 AM »

OK, just got off the phone with Ducati Austin. Here is the skinny:

1.) For a while they had 3 techs, then 2, then Steve was the only tech working and Randy was running the front. Both of them are certified techs.
2.) Steve just left to go down to SA to work with the new dealership there.
3.) DA is not taking any work right now while they transition Randy back to the shop and look for a new parts manager.
4.) They are also looking to get another tech.

Based on what they said, next week they should be able to start taking new work.

Brad (CaseS2R) has a guy in central Austin that he had do his valves, I will try to dig up the contact info.

mark h

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »

Hey Guys (and gals),

Mark from DA here.  i wanted to give a bit more background.  We had 3 techs when you include Alex who was on temporary loan to us from Ducati Italy. His Visa was up and he had to go back (which was the plan all along).  He was just in town a week ago visiting and part of that visit included talking to an immigration atty about a longer term solution....stay tuned as that unfolds.  He also gave us enough juicy teaser info on upcoming ducati products and technology to make our mouths water (he works in engine R+D, so he sees some pretty cool stuff).

As for Steve Wilson, he originally came to us from San Antonio and had a prior friendship and working relationship with the Patriot guys who bought out KCI.  We are sad to see him go but he has an open door if he ever wants to come back up.  He's a good guy and a good tech.

During the winter months when it is slower (this year especially as the whole industry has been effected by the economy ----harley with 1st quarterly loss in 17 years, etc) we re-allocated the staff and had Randy as service manager/writer and running parts/accessories department.  This gave he and Steve both plenty of work to do rather than have two techs (who are paid in part based on productivity) not busy to their capacity...

With Steve going to SA, Randy is wrenching full time again (he is Ducati L1, L2 and Desmosidici certified and knows the bikes inside out).  We have made an offer to a new --very experienced-- parts guy and have another tech interview today.

We are not NOT taking in new service---we are just booked a week or two out at the moment with the nice weather and lots of people wanting to get their bikes dialed in.  Randy can set an appointment for you.

As far as today specifically (3/24/10) Randy was out on personal time this morning and poor Dennis is running a 101 fever and we had to force him to stay home.  So it looked pretty bare at the shop today....sorry.

I hope this helps add clarity to the situation and i/we are always open to direct questions.

Thanks,

-mark
DUCATIAUSTIN

gh0stie

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »

have you recently done an oil change on the bike? What's the fluid level and last time you changed your clutch fluid?

haven't had the oil changed recently due to not riding it much in the past year, I will take a look at the fluids tonight when I get home.

Thanks

gh0stie

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »

Got this looked at yesterday at an independent shop and it turned out not to be a clutch issue.....thanks all!

now to go shop for mods! anyone recommend a good painter?

Thanks again!
hiero

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »

Got this looked at yesterday at an independent shop and it turned out not to be a clutch issue.....thanks all!

now to go shop for mods! anyone recommend a good painter?

Thanks again!

what did it end up being?

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
gh0stie

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »

what did it end up being?

Seemed like the throttle cable needed some loving, it had become really tight, making the bike really unresponsive. I misinterpreted that as a clutch issue (yet another reason I'll never make it as a Ducati Tech)

Luckily the techs at Woods had lubed and adjusted it for me while replacing the rear tire......but just to be sure, I had the other shop check it out and confirmed the clutch was fine.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: