Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 01:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lane splitting in Maricopa co.  (Read 13947 times)
pennyrobber

« on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »

This thing actually has a shot at passing. It would essentially make lane splitting legal in Maricopa county starting Dec. 31 2010. 

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.asp?Bill_Number=2475&image.x=0&image.y=0

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
MostroNero

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:59:52 PM »

I've been watching that....I wonder who's backing/lobbying for it? What kind of public awareness they're planning, if any. Without some organized counter information, the thing will blow up if the press starts talking to the GAAMs about it. Personally, I'm ready to no longer have to contribute to the congestion nor have to worry about getting rear ended any more.
Monster Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »

I think it's a good idea and a bad one all at the same time. As often and severe as motorcycle accidents already are in Phoenix, I wonder how much they'd increase because of something like this.

On the flip side -  I'd much rather not get stuck in traffic in 120 degree heat when I could just cut right through it.
Michael
Voted "Nicest Pants" 2009

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »

I don't think I could do it. My mirrors stick out too much.
Dietrich

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »

Maybe if you rode side saddle?   waytogo

MostroNero

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »

I think it's a good idea and a bad one all at the same time. As often and severe as motorcycle accidents already are in Phoenix, I wonder how much they'd increase because of something like this.

On the flip side -  I'd much rather not get stuck in traffic in 120 degree heat when I could just cut right through it.

Well we have three examples we can look at:
  • Most of the Industrialized Nations of the world, as well as Texas
    In these places lane splitting, is done within tight rules that generally state you must be within 5mph of the flow of traffic and you must merge into the flow when the flow of traffic is above 30mph (varies from place to place, metric system conversions are nearly the same)
  • California which dosen't "allow" lane splitting, they simply don't have a law prohibiting it and choose to allow it. But most California cops will give you a hard time if you are splitting like an idiot. There a number of other states that also don't have laws against lane splitting, but use other laws to ensnare riders who lane split.
  • Arizona's Proposed rule says that traffic must be stopped, but doesn't say how fast the bike must be going through the stopped traffic.

When done smartly and by Texas, or European, Australian, Japanese rules, is perfectly safe and a fine idea that is usually implemented with rider safety as it's primary goal. Rear-end collisions when traffic slows is the number one accident in the world. 99% of the time, nobody gets hurt in a rear-end fender bender involving two cars. When it's a motorbike that gets rear-ended, there's little chance that the rider will not get injured. Allowing the rider to get out of the line of such common collisions is smart and proper. The benefit of easing congestion and the even bigger benefit to the rider of not having to wait in heavy traffic are just icing on the cake, but don't forget that the cake is rider safety.

Yea yea...we keep hearing the panicked bleating of the GAAM, "What happens when some driver flings his door open?" or "What about some driver suddenly changing lanes in front of the bike that's passing between lanes?" I've been hearing these two arguments for years. Where lane splitting is done right, there are so few cases of problems that endanger riders as to not be worth mention. Who flings their door open while sitting in a long line at a red light? Cars that are stuck side-by-side in traffic aren't changing lanes.

Read. The internet is full of good information on this topic.

Thanks
hoyden

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »

I successfully lane split in California for many years (Oakland/SF).
It's terribly handy in rush-hour traffic and at stop lights.
At a stop you filter up front - the cars are already stopped so less chance of getting rear ended.

When I lived in Chicago I lane split for a couplea years. Totally illegal, but I'm impatient.  Evil
A job I worked was up north. This particular highway had all the jerks.
(I never had this problem on other highways in Chicago-land)
I'd lane split on the way home through the stop-go traffic.
(completely stopped for periods of time. It was an awful commute.)
In the six months I was working there, I had at least four cars open their doors on me.
I had a semi try to run me off the road. Really. Out of it's way to try to squish me. That was fun.
If I hadn't been filtering slowly and carefully, I would have gotten injured by one of those doors
(as it was, they just got an ear full. So did the semi driver. Grr.).

Like all riding, you just gotta be extra aware of your surroundings.
And unlike my Chicago experience, I never had a driver open a car door on me in Oakland, SF, Vancouver B.C., or Austin Tx.

Like anything new, it'll take a little while for cars to get used to it.
It'll take bikes time to get used to it.
After a while, it'll just be the norm.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:40:02 PM by hoyden » Logged

"All my life my heart has sought a thing I cannot name."
- HST
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

Just your mirrors?

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »

In the six months I was working there, I had at least four cars open their doors on me.
I had a semi try to run me off the road. Really. Out of it's way to try to squish me. That was fun.

Who was that dumb azz DJ in CA who told his listeners to open up their car doors on motorcyclists splitting traffic? 

Why is it such a race to every stoplight..especially here in PHX?! 

I see people speed up to the spot where oncoming traffic is going to merge only to cut off the merging car.  Why?

American cagers, in general..are just azzholes.   
 Roll Eyes

2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

hoyden

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »

Who was that dumb azz DJ in CA who told his listeners to open up their car doors on motorcyclists splitting traffic?  
Why is it such a race to every stoplight..especially here in PHX?!  
I see people speed up to the spot where oncoming traffic is going to merge only to cut off the merging car.  Why?
American cagers, in general..are just azzholes.    
 Roll Eyes

I don't know. It is really awful.

I don't think those people really understand what kind of damage could ensue from opening their door on a motorcyclist. One car that did it to me was four young (college-age) guys. When I stopped my bike and started in on them, they were surprised that I was female. I asked them (loudly) if they understood that by having their little fun and opening the door on me could have killed me. Did they really want to seriously damage another human just because that person was getting ahead of them in traffic? They just shrugged their shoulders.
 bang head

And back to our regularly scheduled program...  Grin
What's the process with that Bill?

"All my life my heart has sought a thing I cannot name."
- HST
Mr Clean

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »

I did it for years in SF without incident.  Just a matter of getting drivers used to the idea.  I would often split on the freeway in slow traffic as well.  Just gotta keep the situational awarness dial tured up to 10.  I know I pay more attention, can stop harder and accelerate faster than 99.99% of cages.  So I say bring on the lane-splitting.  I don't ride motorcycles because of of their reputation as safe transportation anyway. [moto]  

"You see, I don't know how to ride a motorcycle, actually."
Henry Winkler
Monster Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »

When we passed through LA on our Monsters I found lane splitting to be.....useful  Evil

However, when we stopped Maureen said to me "you know honey, you don't need to lane split when traffic is already moving at the speed limit"  laughingdp

Awe shucks - she probably saved me from my own over-excitement, but MAN that was fun!
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »

When we passed through LA on our Monsters I found lane splitting to be.....useful  Evil
However, when we stopped Maureen said to me "you know honey, you don't need to lane split when traffic is already moving at the speed limit"  laughingdp
Awe shucks - she probably saved me from my own over-excitement, but MAN that was fun!

Uh huh.. A lot of fun!  Dangerous? Yes, but..as previously mentioned..that's what we do!  Evil

2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

pennyrobber

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:57 AM »

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/30march10_lanesplitting.htm

More news, sort of.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
hcomp
All this time I wondered what it was like to have a

Nothing to see here

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »

Yay! I love the picture of French bikers..

にもかかわらず、私の車は本当に速いドライブ、私は女性の生殖器のようなバイクに乗る
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: