Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 29, 2024, 03:21:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of state moto plates  (Read 1232 times)
DRKWNG
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »

Can anyone tell me what VA laws are pertaining to motorcycles with out of state plates?  My Hawaii plates on the SC are good until 2011 and I am curious if I would be able to legally operate the bike there until the plates/registration expires. 
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:02:51 AM »

You're supposed to reg and title vehicles withing 30 days of moving to VA

New to VA info:
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/moving/newva.asp

Looks like you'll need to get a safety inspection (pretty much any gas station with a garage will offer this) and and emissions test (automobiles only - no bikes). I used the Shell station in Shirlington for that shit. They usually let me skip to the head of the line for inspections (when the cars have just been left) and the inspector know how to get a bike in and out fast. Last one took 5 min.

More Reg info
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/vehiclereg.asp

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »

since you are active military though, there is an exemption where you are considered transient and with the right paperwork, you can maintain your Hawaii registration....at least until it expires anyways....I know a guy who was stationed here and ran plates and insurance from his home in Louisiana because of his active military exemption....he got pulled over twice while here and got questioned about that...I think IIRC he got ticketed for a failure to comply with moving his registration to VA instead of the speeding ticket and he went to court and presented the paperwork and the judge tossed it out.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
twolanefun

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »

Most states permit active duty members of the US Armed Forces to register/plate their vehicles with their Home of Record State. I ran Florida plates/registration the whole time I was in the military, except while I was overseas, I also had my Florida Drivers License. Virginia follows this pattern, from the DMV

Military Personnel
If you are an active-duty member of the Armed Forces stationed in Virginia, you, your spouse and dependent children 16 years and 3 months of age or older may drive with a valid driver's license issued by your home state or country. A vehicle registered in your name may be driven with valid out-of-state license plates if you are the sole owner. If the vehicle is co-owned and out-of-state plates are used, all co-owners must be active-duty members of the Armed Forces. If all the co-owners are not active duty members, the vehicle will have to be registered in Virginia. You may register your vehicle in Virginia without obtaining a Virginia driver's license.

- Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider