Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 06:50:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carbon Solo Seat?  (Read 16750 times)
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:52 AM »

Thanks for the answer c_rex.  I called a local Ducati dealer, and they said a gel seat is not the way to go for long rides.  You want something that supports you, so they recommended a firm seat. 
I'm so confused!!!

What's your definition of long?  So far the longest trip for me was ~350 miles in one day on DP Gel and I love it!  I find the gel 1) conforms better to my bottom providing more support (stock's edge was harder and tends to slide me forward) and 2) the gel absorb's some road vibration which (ironically) allowed me to better feel the road traction through the pegs.

Lastly, at <$200, it has to be one of the best values DP parts out there!
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:37:49 AM »

I'm assuming you bought it because it's a solo seat. 

I want a solo seat that would be comfortable for long trips (200- 400 miles a day).  Does this seat go the distance?

Nice friggin' bikes, by the way. 

The longest I've done on the Monster is a little over 600 miles (Wilmington, NC to Pittsburgh, PA) with a Sargent seat.  With all my gear, I weigh about 190 lbs. and I'm 6'1".  You should be fine with either the stock or a Sargent.  If your butt hurts, you just need to keep at it.  After the first few long days, your butt will stop hurting.  At least that's what happened for me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:42:08 AM by pompetta » Logged

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 09:02:07 AM »

dealer also told me the gel seats are warmer, so in the summer it's uncomfortable. 

pompetta - what time of the year did you ride to Pittsburgh?  I'd like to go from Philadelphia to Chicago over a couple of days.   I know my butt needs to toughen, but I'd like to do anything I can to help keep the ride enjoyable.  I'm staying away from slab riding.

Frickin' snow!
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »

dealer also told me the gel seats are warmer, so in the summer it's uncomfortable. 

pompetta - what time of the year did you ride to Pittsburgh?  I'd like to go from Philadelphia to Chicago over a couple of days.   I know my butt needs to toughen, but I'd like to do anything I can to help keep the ride enjoyable.  I'm staying away from slab riding.

It was the middle of July. 

Philly to Chicago without the superslab?  That could be a long ride.  You might try a sheepskin attached to your seat.  Some say that it allows enough air to get past your butt to stop "monkeybutt."  Perhaps that's worth a try...cheap too.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
NAKID

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »

Thanks for the answer c_rex.  I called a local Ducati dealer, and they said a gel seat is not the way to go for long rides.  You want something that supports you, so they recommended a firm seat. 
I'm so confused!!!

Your dealer is smoking CRACK! That comfort seat is FOR long rides. I did 500+ miles one way and it was great. The stock seat was hurting me after 250-300 miles. The seat WILL get hot in direct sunlight, so that's it's only real disadvantage. As others have said, it's THE BEST seat for the money...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 08:12:51 PM »

I was thinking about this thread as I was riding today on my carbon solo seat.  I can pretty much guarantee you some numb nether regions after 2 hours of stationary riding, and yes it does tend to push you NTT.  Not so bad when sliding around in the saddle but it isn't a touring seat in any way, shape, or form (pun intended).  I don't know what your dealer was talking about but that DP Gel seat is like sitting on a big pillow and the surface material keeps your rump (et. al.) wherever you plant it.  You're better off with the stock seat than the carbon solo seat for distance.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
lauramonster

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 06:05:24 AM »

I'm going for the gel seat.  It's what's on the ST's.  If it's on the touring bikes, it's good!! 

Besides, at <$200 I can always resell it if I don't like it.

Thanks for everyone's input. 

Frickin' snow!
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 06:48:05 AM »

I'm going for the gel seat.  It's what's on the ST's.  If it's on the touring bikes, it's good!! 
Besides, at <$200 I can always resell it if I don't like it.

You won't be sorry!  I swapped last season and have never looked back...I do carry a small rag in my backpack to place on the seat in case I leave it out in the sun.
lauramonster

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »

Great idea!!

I emailed Seattle Ducati today.   waytogo

Frickin' snow!
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »

Has anyone weighed either seat to see which one is lighter?  The solo carbon one looks cool, but I'm all about function over form, so before I shell out some $$$ I'd like to know Smiley Vino!

LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

You guys just talked me into the DP gel seat. The stock one gives me M. butt and sure as hell slides you forward all the time.

And it does sound like the only good deal money wise on a Ducati part.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Ranger06

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 05:19:58 PM »

I've ridden from NC to CT and back (non-stop) twice on my Monster.  I have the stock seat and honestly, my butt never hurt.  I felt it in my knees of all places.  I got off the bike and walked around, got some gas, drank some water every 150 miles and I was fine.  I guess when you are racking up the miles, you are going to feel it in other places before your butt.

2008 695 Dark
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »

I like how the solo seats look, but I've never been able to find one.  Are they still made or would I need to get one used?

Andy

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

Go me, just got a used one.  Will go nicely with the exhaust setup and aluminum subframe I have planned Cheesy waytogo drink

CowboyBeebop
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »

Go me, just got a used one.  Will go nicely with the exhaust setup and aluminum subframe I have planned Cheesy waytogo drink

How much lighter is it than stock?  I've heard about 1.5 lbs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: