Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 12:37:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I a cranky old man?  (Read 3845 times)
scott_araujo

« on: May 06, 2010, 06:53:52 AM »

So someone down the street just bought a Harley or just moved in.  They're not being rude, no over revving or engine braking, but every time they ride by the house on their way home it seems damn loud.  I live about 4 floors up and it still seems loud.  With the windows closed.  It didn't sound this loud when Ryan AND Chuck pulled up right to the condo.  Am I just getting to be a cranky old man?  Do I just eschew all things American for the sexy allure of Italian machinery?  I have been drinking a lot more espresso lately.

Scott
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »

Does your pinky point outward while you sip your espresso?  laughingdp

A lot of them Harleys have straight pipes... nothing but pure engine exhaust... to me they are just loud... not deep sounding.. like the Ducs.. just loud... don't get me wrong.. I am not a Harley hater... just don't appreciate the sound the same way... anyhow... yes, you are a cranky old man. (I know I am.)

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
scott_araujo

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »

Does your pinky point outward while you sip your espresso?  laughingdp

No.  I don't even use the tiny handle, just grab the cup by the sides.  I have no refinement.

to me they are just loud... not deep sounding.. like the Ducs.. just loud...

Yeah.

Scott
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »

If you start saying things like "Get off my lawn, you damn kids!", then yes you are a cranky old man.

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
scott_araujo

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »

If you start saying things like "Get off my lawn, you damn kids!", then yes you are a cranky old man.

No lawn, condo.  I'm safe until I move Smiley
GAAN
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:20:25 AM »

I met you

Yes
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »

No lawn, condo.  I'm safe until I move Smiley

It works even better with no lawn. Grin

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
canoncrazy

See ya

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »

am i a biased sample? this doesnt have to be like this, comparing two different beasts is not fair. thankfully HD doesnt attempt to make a true sport bike (you guys don't consider Buel a sport bike, do you?) and Duc doesnt make a cruiser. Both my Harley and Ducati idling in my garage sound like a dual-national bass and drum meets engine harmonics record. Riding one was an exercise in patience, like saddling a tortoise, but is lathered in rich American pride, and the other causes me to constantly look for cops each time I slightly roll on the throttle.
 if you have stopped to talk to one of the HD riders at a stop light, they have good taste, always complimenting the Ducati style and sound. not too bad. we should be a lil more accepting of their style and sound too, especially since one of you is getting to be an old man-scott-have to start looking for an old man bike. I hear good things about HDs.  [moto] laughingdp
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:17:46 PM by canoncrazy » Logged
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:24:46 AM »

I don't know... I test road the sport classic.... and it had a tall vertical wind screen and soft bags on the side and lots of chrome... I felt like I was riding a Harley... oh, but the classic could handle... that thing cornered well.... I think it was Ducatis foray into the cruiser realm... with a wink and a nod.... interesting bike.  My comments, and possibly Scotts, were not dissess to the HD itself... just talking on the sounds and what you personally like about the sound versus it being just loud.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
Bendy

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:58 AM »

and it had a tall vertical wind screen and soft bags on the side and lots of chrome... I felt like I was riding a Harley... oh, but the classic could handle... that thing cornered well....

I had a riding lawnmower like that once.

I think the fact that Harleys/similar-sounding-V-twins are a dime a dozen has desensitized us as people that pay attention to motorcycles. They're essentially the standard and therefore nothing special. Or in Scott's case, worthy of a defiant walking cane shake.
ID_DUC_MON

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00:11 AM »

Shocked waytogo laughingdp

south park- Harley Cough
scott_araujo

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:51 AM »

Yeah, not dissing HD per se, just the stereotypical ridiculously loud exhaust and my own intolerance of it.  Honestly, I kinda like that new Nightster.  Nice clean, minimal bike.  It's not just the stereotypical HDs I avoid.  If I see a shiny new Japanese bike with a rider in a new jacket and shiny, new HJC white helmet I tend to steer clear of them too.  Newbies tend to crash and take others with them. Wink

The back of my place faces Kerr Parkway and bikes are rolling by all the time, all kinds.  I try to guess what they are before I see them while tinkering in the garage.  But the fact that every time the one down the block rolls past the front of my house and the entire place shakes AND it annoys me is way more of a comment on me than any two wheeled noise maker.  

As for the old man bike, looking at Royal Enfields with side cars, strictly so I can take my son along in a few years, or so I tell my wife.  She believes me so far.  Damn kids!  Get off my lawn! Wink  

Scott
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:40:54 AM by scott_araujo » Logged
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Yeah... no diss on HDs.  The former owner of my 900SS had a beautiful FL parked next to it.

My great-uncle, a really cool retired Mechanical Engineer, rides a Heritage Softail that's nicely appointed and not obnoxious.

You know, the stock exhaust on a Harley is pretty tame.  Deep and mellow.  Some of the aftermarket options are a little louder, but still deep and mellow.  I'm just not fond of the "BRAPPP!" sound of one with straight pipes at WOT.  Other than that, I'd own one for long-distance cruising.

Especially now... I spend so much time beating back and forth on I-84, part of me would love to have a two-wheeled La-Z-Boy with a deep, mellow exhaust note.

Hmm... thinking about the GT1000 though, I think I'm gonna go hit up Cycletrader and do some browsing.  Wink

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Bendy

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »

La-Z-Boy

That's probably the most significant thing that I envy. The couchin' aspect.
bnbmike

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »

Potato, potato, potato!

Had 2001 Monster 750 Dark, last of the carbby's.
Has 2011 Multistrada 1200 ST
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: