Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:57:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire questions & etc.  (Read 1991 times)
wcw

« on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:53 AM »

Was debating about to just get replacement OEM tires or Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's.  What do ya'll think?  Also, is it a must to replace front/rear same time?  I realize I'd have to do that if I switched to Pirelli's from the stock Bridgestones.

also, thinking of a replacement wind screen.  anyone have a suggestion for one that pushes a little more air up & over?  think i saw a Zero Gravity one.

last question, need a firmer rear spring for 2up riding...will take any leads for this too! 

Thank you!

C
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:32:11 AM by wcw » Logged

Diavel Carbon Red
hiero

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »

no experience with the pirellis, but I always ride on the same tire front and back, I wouldn't recommend any other way

I like racetech springs and have them on both sets of front forks and on the rear of the 748.  Monster has ohlins.

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

Don't know much about the rest but I just replaced my tires and before doing so asked a bunch of questions to a bunch of people for a bunch of information.

A lot of people use different front and rear tires from the same company. Depends on the type of riding you do most. Mine is commuting with only a few canyon days.
Using a sport touring, or dual compond rear will give the rear a longer life since most of the time the front lasts longer you will be replacing a set rather than a 2-1 ratio. However, like I said, I think the most important part is they need need to be from the same manufacturer.

I was recommended a Michellin Road 2 out back and a Pilot Power up front. The Road 2 will most likely last as long or close to the Pilot Power and therefor will have even wear in the front and back. However, some people prefer to only buy one tire at a time (cost reasons, mostly) and don't mind the rear wearing out sooner.

To answer your question, no, you don't have to buy front and rear at the same time. And the Diablo Corsa's are a really good tire.
Tires are a safety thing as well as preference so unfortunately you will most likely go through a coupe sets before you find the ones that work well for your needs.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »

Chris, I'm on my second set of bridgestone BT016s.  Love em even though they only last 3000 miles before the rear needs replacement.  Cyclegear has a set in stock as well as most other brands.  Their prices are hard to beat too.  The BT016s may be too soft if you are going to do longer rides 2 up.  Corsa 3s will also be a fast wearing tire.  Quite a few people are using Michelin Pilot Road 2ct with good results.  Guess it all depends on how aggressive you plan on riding, within the law of course.

Jon

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »

Motorcycle-superstore.com is cheaper than Cyclegear in the tire department and they arrive at your door in 2 days!  

bacon
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:06:18 PM by duc750 » Logged

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Greg

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »

Not sure if you bought tires already but I saw these guys with a very good deal.

www.ridedirect.com has a pair of BT016's for only $185 a pair

www.motorcycle-superstore.com wants $236 for the same pair

That's a $50 savings for a set of tires, not too shabby.

www.Cyclegear.com wants $269 for the same set

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: