Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:19:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What ever happened to people being real "neighbors"  (Read 20254 times)
metallimonster

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 07:11:38 AM »

Of course   Roll Eyes

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
spolic

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »

Jerry had it right.

Jerry Reed-Talk About The Good Times

He man, where are all the ads?
SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:20:53 AM »

Cyrus, the guy that wanted to charge you $20 to cut a piece of wood is probably an asshole, but try to look at it from his perspective. He's the one guy in the neighborhood that can fix anything and has tools and truck, etc. That guy must get hit up for shit all the time from friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, etc. If you knit socks for 50 hours a week in order to pay your bills you'd get pretty snippy with the 100th person who asked if you could just to knit some little socks for the new baby or whatever on your weekend or in your free time. He wanted to charge to $20 not to get the $20 but to make sure you never asked him for anything again. Don't take it personally, he just doesn't want to use his free time that way. What you see as quick little cut he sees as dragging the tool out (got move that other shit out of the way first) set it up, get the extension cord out, measure and mark the wood, make the cut, bullshit with you for 10 minutes, unplug the saw, wrap up the cord, put the cord away, clean up the saw, break the saw down and put it away, get the broom, sweep up the saw dust and put the broom away. All the while worrying if there is a nail in that piece of wood he doesn't know about that is going to make the beast with two backs up his blade and if the dimension you gave him is incorrect and that you'll come back and yell at him for cutting it wrong. So, yeah, if he ain't looking to make friends, $20.

I work as a contractor. For the very reasons described above I don't want my neighbors to be all friendly. If there was an emergency and the little old lady down the street needed something, no problem. Other than that as long as they shut the make the beast with two backs up and leave me alone I consider them to be good neighbors. If people from my neighborhood walk up my driveway they generally get met with a large dog and a sneer. I'm friendly on the street and wave and say hi and all that, but I ain't looking for more friends or any favors from anyone.

I've spent $4k putting good fences up and Robert Frost was right, I bought better neighbors.

sac

/I know that's not what Frost meant

HATERS GONNA HATE.
avizpls
TECH

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »

make the beast with two backsing

that doesnt even make sense

SacDuc

WWSDD?

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 07:30:58 AM »

make the beast with two backsing

that doesnt even make sense

Turn the nanny off.

sac

HATERS GONNA HATE.
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »

they see us digging a trench for a new sewer hook up and they come over and ask for a shovel to help...makes you want to weep with joy that real people still exist

That's how it was growing up.

I remember when we installed a wood fence on the wooded part of my parents house. We put that in and then some pro's came out to put up the actual mesh fencing. First time we fenced our yard in; it was for our Lab.

So we are out there digging holes, my dad would get home from work and even throw a hand on a post hole digger in his suit and tie.

On the weekends some neighborhood kids would come by and want to help.

My brother was having some problems sweating some pipes in one of our bathrooms, so goes to the neighbor behind us who is really handy. He gladly came over at 830 at night to help my brother complete the job.

I just miss a sense of community and don't have it now.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
bluemoco
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

'04 M800i.e. on a no (carbon) fiber diet.

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 08:10:15 AM »

My neighbor across the street is a contractor.  Just like every other contractor in the country, business has been slow lately (framing new homes was his core business).

I've asked him for some free advice on our home projects.  I've also had him do some small project work on our home - and paid him for it every time.  When we finished off our basement, I asked him if he was interested in bidding on the job - he declined, because he didn't want to do the General Contractor deal.  (he was actually pretty busy with other projects at that time anyway)

Being a 'good neighbor' is one thing, but like SacDuc says about the contractor, "try to look at it from his perspective." 

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy." - Donnie Wahlberg in "The Departed"

"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, badass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
JEFF_H

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:13:03 AM »

Can't you just friend them on facebook??

Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »

thank god the single ladies on our block dont try to take advantage of my skillset

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
metallimonster

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 08:19:53 AM »

thank god the single ladies on our block dont try to take advantage of my skillset

You're right they probably couldn't handle the crying why you mumble "I'm sorry, that's never happened before" over and over.   Grin

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:17 AM »

I thought he said take advantage of his skillet

This is an insult to the Pez community
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »

You're right they probably couldn't handle the crying why you mumble "I'm sorry, that's never happened before" over and over.   Grin

have you been reading my wifes facebook page?

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »

what a shock  Roll Eyes

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »

I tend to agree with Sac on this one.  I work for Porsche fixing cars.  I don't do work on the side, period.  I have made the mistake of helping a neighbor with a small problem, next thing you know I can't even open the garage door without someone wanting me to fix their car. I turned down neighbors before and they get rude like I owe them something. My time off is just that, time off. I don't bring my tools home with me, they stay at the dealership. I keep a very limited amount of tools at home, usually for bike stuff. If one of my cars needs something it goes to the dealership and I do it there.  Now if a neighbor wants to drink beer with me or come to one of my barbeques that's great. If I'm mowing the lawn and accidentally mow my old lady neighbors lawn, oh well.  Just don't ask me to fix your damn car on my time off. 

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »

I tend to agree with Sac on this one.  I work for Porsche fixing cars.  I don't do work on the side, period.  I have made the mistake of helping a neighbor with a small problem, next thing you know I can't even open the garage door without someone wanting me to fix their car. I turned down neighbors before and they get rude like I owe them something. My time off is just that, time off. I don't bring my tools home with me, they stay at the dealership. I keep a very limited amount of tools at home, usually for bike stuff. If one of my cars needs something it goes to the dealership and I do it there.  Now if a neighbor wants to drink beer with me or come to one of my barbeques that's great. If I'm mowing the lawn and accidentally mow my old lady neighbors lawn, oh well.  Just don't ask me to fix your damn car on my time off. 

I agree with you, but if I ask you to borrow a specific tool or simply to use it in your garage to cut a piece of wood, then why be a prick about it?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: