Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Spring '08 HC "Close Calls" thread  (Read 5524 times)
Ronr

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:21 PM »

I had a bike try to come up over the wheel chock in an emergency stop when I didn't have enough strap pulling it aft.

The suspension will compress way more than you think in unusual circumstances and will put the bike into all sorts of funny positions.  Big chugholes are a common example of a quick shock to the suspension. 

One thing to think about, is most common trailer axles are designed to support 3500 pounds.  When you have a 400-500 pound bike, the trailer suspension barely does anything, so most of the shock goes directly into your bike suspension.

Two forward and two back is best, and I used to do a lateral strap wrapped around the base of the rear wheel to keep it from coming out sideways (again from experience).
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »

Most everyone I know, except a few, strap their bikes 2 forward + 2 to the rear.  I've seen two bikes fall strapped that way.  Of course thousands of bikes strapped that way have not fallen so what I've seen are probably outliers.

On one long trip, I strapped the bike that way since the U-Haul enclosed trailer I got had four D-rings on either end of the floor but I hesitated to load the two forward D-rings with four straps under tension.  With the cam lock straps on and the sportchock, one forward strap loosened and the bike shifted and when I stopped to do a routine check the bike was a few more contortions before it would fall.  The rear straps were pulling the bike rearward and away from the wheel chock while the one forward strap was pulling the bike towards it and had little tension.  As the bike moved rearward, the rear straps lost their tension.  I dodged a bullet that day as I was trailering the 916.   I redid the straps and put four straps forward.  I checked often and got home without a problem.

I'm lucky that I have not had a strap rub enough to break.  What I am more concerned with are the S hooks coming off whatever they are anchored too which is why I think carabiners would make better tie downs.

Regarding cam locks vs, ratchets, I have not had good luck with cam lock straps and better luck with ratchet type straps. 

Maybe the taller wheel chocks and a strap which binds the wheels to the chock is necessary to keep it from riding up, maybe putting the bike in gear when trailering to keep it from rolling, and finally using six straps 4 forward and 2 rearward is ideal. 

Live and learn!

cdc
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 03:47:20 AM »

Live and learn!

If only more people would take your advice... bang head Grin

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: