Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:20:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Multistrada riding impressions, anyone?  (Read 947 times)
Pinocchio
Unsung

« on: May 16, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »

I have to admit I didn't think I had any hope of riding the new MTS 1.2k yesterday.  I didn't get down to AMS D until 2:00 PM. Ran into Frisco there and chatted for a while. His impressions were: fast, powerful, comfortable position except for slightly low bars, suspension absorbed everything you put in the way. There was still a list for a 15 minute ride, so I decided to head to ESC to check on a parts order, and see what the test ride list looked like there.

When I got to EuroSport, there wasn't another customer in the entire shop. I put my name on the list for 3:00PM, Tony showed me how to navigate the DES menu, I got on the bike and rode around FTW for a half hour on my own. That still wasn't much time, but I got a little taste of each of the four modes.

Urban mode -  Smooth acceleration and rock steady riding over washboarded, open-seamed, chuck-holed, patched, traffic-dotted, manhole cover-infested, and generally crappily-maintained streets of West FW going South on Riverside with a few left/right detours to warm the tires up and check the brakes - totally secure feeing on turns while trail braking, tips into turns effortlessly, slow speed stability like a clockwork windup toy, no hiccups from the engine, no need to slip the clutch. L on I-30 East svc road....

Touring - and up the on-ramp, a smooth 40 - 85 mph pull in 2-3 secs, great wind protection sitting fully upright in my BarcaLounger. Slow it down and cruise at 70. Try 6th gear - ok it works, back to 5th. Off at Brentwood Stair for a downhill sweeper left at the light at Woohaven.

Sport mode - Left hand turn hard and uphill on Bridge street  - a harsher feel in the throttle response, ride -  as I blast up the hill going West. Too soon for this I decide, get back to...

Urban mode - as I make a right to cut through a neighborhood to get back to Randol Mill. Some nice twisty parts, with a left turn onto a downhill sweeper that somehow reminds me of the Corkscrew, except for the @#$%^! parked cars. Stop at Randol Mill. What time is it, anyway? The clock on the dash says 3:32PM.  Right!...

Sport mode - 0 - 97 mph in 4th before I decided, "57 over is fast enough on a test ride" U-turn... back  West throught the sweeper at a more reasonable speed ( only 15 over), takes me a while to get back to where I turned. Suddenly the road surface gets pretty rough, so it was time to try

Enduro mode - rough road goes away. Like Urban mode, only softer, maybe too soft for asphalt, and no ABS so maybe not the best choice, but would be interesting to try on gravel or loose stuff some other time...

Urban mode - and back North on Riverside to ESC.

Best features: wet, slipper clutch (nothing to spend money on here; it's quiet, and it works invisibly); transmission, engine power and smoothness (depending on mode you're in); suspension (like it was set up for me - amazing!); effortless handling.

Undecided about: brakes (not enough different conditions during the ride to test), ergos (seat back may be a little cramped for track days/ sport riding). Maybe pushing the bar forward a little would help.

Negative: Centerstand and exhaust leave you nowhere to put your heels when riding agressively (hanging off) - a problem which can be worked around with a pair of footrest adapters from Ducati Designs, and by not buying the S Touring model with the centerstand in the first place - but forget about rearsets on this bike, because the bracket is integrated into the alloy midframe.

I experienced only one negative and plenty of Grin Factor during my 30+ minutes on the new Multistrada. Granted that's not enough time to get a complete impression from such a technologically complex motorcycle. So for the rest of you that have ridden it, would you care to share your thoughts?

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
fastwin
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »

Somebody out there must like them, check out this story:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=40520

Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »

Nice. I guess I wouldn't be able to touch one this year for love or money. Meanwhile, the pressure of putting out a new model has put the company's parts ordering system, which was never good in the first place, right into the tank. I've been waiting over 8 weeks for a seat bolt, over 4 for a Goodwill Program replacement of my Monster tank. The Icelandic volcano is partly to blame, so I am told .

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
fastwin
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »

Oh yeah, you think the Italians will use that as an excuse?? bang head One word response... duh? Had fun waiting for Guido to find my stock 916SPS camshafts at the factory when I was trying to devo the race engine in my 916. I'm sure they were on a dusty shelf in the "parts room" and all that Merlot at lunch hung things up a bit. Then the packaging, the shipping desk, then trying to figure out where the hell Mansfield, Texas is... I'm talking slow boat from China!! But they did arrive!! Things are just different in Italian time. Hey, it's the only country I have been to where the restaurants closed for lunch! No shit! WTF??? Tongue
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:50:25 PM by fastwin » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: