Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 03:28:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Isle of Wight Pub burnt down!!!  (Read 3127 times)
auntymal

« on: May 21, 2010, 03:22:15 PM »

Phillip Island hotel destroyed by fire
(from ABC news)  drink

Destroyed: the Isle of Wight Hotel in Cowes (Google Streetview, file photo)

Map: Cowes 3922 The Isle of Wight Hotel, in the town of Cowes on Phillip Island off Victoria's coast, has been destroyed by fire.

Police say workers locked up the premises at 2:00am and the fire alarm went off about 10 minutes later. Over 100 fighters responded to the blaze.

The 140-year-old hotel was gutted and the damage bill is expected to reach several million dollars.

The historic hotel famously played host to Fred Astair, Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck during their filming of the movie On the Beach in 1958.

It held a significant stock of historic local photos and memorabilia that have also been destroyed.

The president of the local historical society, Julia Box, says it is a huge loss.

"People will wake up and be very sad about it," she said.

"Its been so intertwined in our lives, in so many events here.

"[People] on the island and also in Victoria will have wonderful memories of the Isle of Wight."

Fire authorities had issued an alert for Cowes residents to stay inside because of the risk of asbestos poisoning.

But the Country Fire Authority says the danger posed from asbestos particles in smoke has passed and it is now safe for residents in Cowes to go outside.

The main street of Cowes will remain closed for some time as the area is cleaned up and the cause of the fire is investigated.

...when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty...
Dockstrada

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »

It's sad to have lost the building and all of the memorabilia  Embarrassed

But I must say the place was ferrell ..........

If I wasn't who i was, I wouldn't be who I am !
dragonworld.
I can make like a tripod with my.....

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »

It's sad to have lost the building and all of the memorabilia  Embarrassed

But I must say the place was ferrell ..........

I agree with ya Dock!!

In 10 plus years of Island Classic,Supers and GP racing I reckon I went there no more than half a dozen times, it was a shithole!!  Roll Eyes

Even when I was racing, except for bench racing I stayed away from the place, rowdy, sweaty and smelly without a lot of class! Plenty of better places to go with better food and plenty of drinks also!  chug waytogo

Secret to a long relationship is........Keep the fights clean and the sex DIRTY"!
Dockstrada

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »

I wonder if the NEW DA has already been approved  Wink

mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »

What you talk about  Huh?
Who would ever do such a thing.

dragonworld.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:06:44 AM »

The "Arsen About" squad is investigating the theory that the fire was deliberately lit apparently!!  Shocked

Fancy That?!  Roll Eyes

Secret to a long relationship is........Keep the fights clean and the sex DIRTY"!
Dockstrada

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »

The "Arsen About" squad is investigating the theory that the fire was deliberately lit apparently!!  Shocked

Fancy That?!  Roll Eyes

What, in the current economic climate..........Arsen.........Nah Roll Eyes

heatherp

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:15:27 AM »

Funny how there are existing plans to demolish and build something shiny and new.
Dockstrada

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »

What you talk about  Huh?
Who would ever do such a thing.

May have been a stocktake. Were there any Rabbi's in town?  cheeky

Mr.S2R
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 02:04:11 AM »

Does this mean San Remo is the new hot spot??
vossy
South OZ

2007 S2R1000

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:55 AM »

This gives me an idea.

I could turn our house on the island into a quaint little seaside pub and serve up kegs of home brew. chug
It might mean loosing our bond and maybe being banded from renting a house ever again but what a way to go.

But seriously , it was a bit of a shit hole, so I'm not too cut up that it's gone.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:44:04 AM by vossy » Logged

"Life's short" "Ride More"
Ita
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:47:49 AM »

I agree with ya Dock!!
In 10 plus years of Island Classic,Supers and GP racing I reckon I went there no more than half a dozen times, it was a shithole!!  Roll Eyes
Even when I was racing, except for bench racing I stayed away from the place, rowdy, sweaty and smelly without a lot of class! Plenty of better places to go with better food and plenty of drinks also!  chug waytogo

Are you guys kiddin'??  What are ya??  Bunch of SNOBS!!!

I've been going to the Island for 30+ years as a racer and spectator...   I have had some ripper and very memorable nights in the I of W  drink chug

It sounds like you guys have only been there during the glamour events like the MotoGP & WSB when all the dickheads are in town and not the genuine racers and grass roots race crowd.... Undecided

Ita
dragonworld.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »

Are you guys kiddin'??  What are ya??  Bunch of SNOBS!!!

I've been going to the Island for 30+ years as a racer and spectator...   I have had some ripper and very memorable nights in the I of W  drink chug

It sounds like you guys have only been there during the glamour events like the MotoGP & WSB when all the dickheads are in town and not the genuine racers and grass roots race crowd.... Undecided

Ita

Nah, of course not Ita mate. All the Club racing, Interclub Comps etc, had some memorable bench racing times there and just plain heavy duty pissups! waytogo drink chug bow down

But the joint was still a "shithole",

goldFiSh

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »

May have been a stocktake. Were there any Rabbi's in town?  cheeky
laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp
Ita
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »

Nah, of course not Ita mate. All the Club racing, Interclub Comps etc, had some memorable bench racing times there and just plain heavy duty pissups! waytogo drink chug bow down

But the joint was still a "shithole",

Well yes I take ya point...  I wouldn't go there on a first date...  (But I have picked up there   Cheesy )

I guess my memories of the place are of the people and great times, not of the joint itself...  Just like the Espy in St Kilda waytogo drink

Ita
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: