Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ditch the Pass Peg, Add a custom knob for tail bag (w/ PICS)  (Read 2005 times)
billg69gmc

« on: June 03, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »

I've been wanting to do this for a while.. I swap my coretech bag on and off from my St to my S2r. No problem for the ST, it has antlers. The S2R is another story. With the passenger pegs, it was not really an issue. That is until I went with the full arrow exhaust. Now anything that doesn't belong, should go. Not to mention that the pass pegs are two hunks of metal.

At first I thought about making a bracket. Sort of a grab handle. Then it struck me to see what sort of high end cabinet hardware was available. The spread between bolts is about 2.75 inches. Nothing with any meat that small. But while staring at all the different handles, it occurred to me that I did not need a handle. I needed  a knob. And the one I settled on is either stainless or some alloy.

Of course the stock screw would snap off in a heart beat. But if you drill it out and tap it for the same thread as the screw that mounts the pass peg bracket, that should hold.

Well it turns out the knob is solid. It drilled clean (drill press). And the Kobalt tap and die set I got from Lowes a while back has the correct taps and dies for most all metric needs with small fasteners that get mucked up.

Below are some shots of what it looks like. The right side was easy. The left side you have to unbolt coil from the mount (2 allen screws). Then you can feed the screw in from the backside.

I placed threadlock on the threads to make sure it stayed put. You really can't put too much twist onto the knob since it's completely smooth. Since it is a stepped design, it's very Frankenstein.

This is before removal...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:56:24 PM by billg69gmc » Logged

2010 StreetFighter S     2008 Hym1100     2006 S2R1k
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:34:15 AM »

Looks cool!  But couldn't you just cross the bungee underneath the subframe and affix the bungee hook to the opposite side bolt hole?
wengr

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:24:47 AM »

I have that same bag and bike. do you think the bag will harm the cowl paint? or will you remove the cowl?
billg69gmc

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:20:03 PM »

The foam pad keeps the cowl safe... so long as nothing gets between the two. As for crossing it over, probably could work... not sure there is enough bungee, and I wanted to put some force forward. The bungees pull from opposite corners so to me it seemed that a forward mount on the front, while the rear opposite corner bungee tags onto the last bit of exposed tubing.

As for worrying too much about wear and tear, it's a daily driver rain or shine, 4 seasons. I keep her clean but she does not pampered. I do try to keep it in the shade at work, that Coretech bag turns blue-ish black after just a little bit of UV time.

2010 StreetFighter S     2008 Hym1100     2006 S2R1k
optiato

'07 695

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:38 AM »

I just cross the bungees under the seat and attach them to themselves.  Works great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: